Jarwin v Schultz

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Jarwin has speed to get up the field but he seems absolutely worthless as a blocker. He reminded me of the latter years Jason Witten who just yelled Ole’ as defenders tackled Dallas players he was supposed to block for.

Schultz was a solid, if unspectacular TE last night. Made the tough catches, in traffic and had pretty good situational awareness of where the sticks were, where defenders were coming from, ball protection, etc.

It’s a one game sample size, but Jarwin is playing his way off the team as a blocker.
You have to at least be average as a blocker.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Jarwin is over-priced over-stuffed WR. Slap a ‘For Sale’ sign on him and start Dalton Shultz… a REAL TE

kskboys

Reaction score
as NFL yes i agree they are average just jags..below average well thats just an opinion..but the recently retired and returning Gronk was the bigger difference in that game Thursday then people realize..our Tes were not..
Gronk is a freak of nature. Compare any TE to him and they come in a poor second. Bad comparison.

kskboys

Reaction score
The next 2 or 3 games will change your viewpoint on Jarwin. He can play, and has a role. He missed a full season, and is coming back from injury. It will take a few games
More excuses.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It's a long season the will probably need both of them, so keep rotating. Imo, Shultz is more consistent and makes less mistakes, but if Jarwin is right he can take chunks out of the defense down the seam.

That's why Shultz would get more snaps for me, while Jarwin would be more of a weapon in the right situation.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
707-DC18-C-9-B69-4589-9558-CF02-DC9-DEFD5.jpg
84-D5733-A-6-F52-4366-A1-E2-618-F9-B5-EB355.jpg

AyeAtey

Reaction score
I think Dutch understands being a complete player. A Stanford guy, so he was coached pretty good and has some brains. He's getting better and better.

quickccc

Reaction score
One of the things I noticed with Jarwin is that he really needs other receivers to create mismatches for him.

He is a better athete than Schultz, but he is pretty sub par athletically compared to other move TE's. If we bring him back next year, Id consider making Brown a move TE. Its really not much different than what he does on offense

Nah, ;; no more experiments
Just pursue another TE prospect that has considerable catch-block dimensions and athleticism - particular in the mid rounds.

Reactions: G2

RoboQB

Reaction score
Schultz is better. Jarwin is unreliable. One great game against the lowly Giants
had people anointing him as the next Travis Kelce. He's not even Dallas Goedert.

I wish the Front Office would've considered signing Jonnu Smith. (NE signed him)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Schultz is just such a solid player. Good hands, good blocking, good route running, good RAC... he definitely developed into a much better TE than I expected him to.

Jarwin offers more speed up the seam than Schultz, but not much else.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They're both Jags. Pretty good receiving, nothing to write home about. Nothing worth mentioning blocking. With the receiving threats we have on the roster, I'm less concerned about that. I'd rather have depth at TE that can essentially be another linemen for pass and run blocking. This FO likes to get cute with player development projects. They are what they are.

kskboys

Reaction score
They're both Jags. Pretty good receiving, nothing to write home about. Nothing worth mentioning blocking. With the receiving threats we have on the roster, I'm less concerned about that. I'd rather have depth at TE that can essentially be another linemen for pass and run blocking. This FO likes to get cute with player development projects. They are what they are.
At present, Schultz is playing far above "JAG" level. I'm actually puzzled as to why you'd say that about him. He's getting open at a very high rate and has shown tremendous YAC ability.