Twitter: Jason Garrett on 105.3 The Fan - 11/25/19

Sydla

Reaction score
As he should have yesterday. Not that you wouldn’t have been yelling even louder if he went for it on 4th and 7 against that defense yesterday.

He absolutely should not have kicked the FG.

You are down 7 with roughly 6 minuted to go. You have limited drives to score a TD at that point and you have shown an inability to even get in the red zone to that point in the game.

What Garrett did was simply throw a TD opportunity away by kicking a FG on the hope that with one last drive, they will finally score that TD.

Which gives you the greater chance to finally score a TD? Two drives or one drive?

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
The only TD in the game came about because of a short field that was given to the Patriots by a blocked punt... something Belichick prepared his team to do. His attention to detail translated well on the field and made the difference in the game but you are so oblivious of this FACT that you say stupid stuff like, "who gives a rats rear about how he prepares the Patriots." You've already lost the argument but I will continue to eviscerate your silly diatribe.

How was Dak suppose to prepare for those exact conditions? Cold and rainy wasn't in the DFW forecast that week. He practiced with gloves but didn't like the feel of the seams, so he tried to start the game without gloves. Then the conditions got worse, wet and cold took effect and it became more important to him to have dry, unfrozen hands. You weren't there feeling the conditions so stop second-guessing those of us who were.

Hate to shatter your world...but this is a discussion board for fans. Opinion and second-guessing is what drives it. If that bothers you...you should probably find other internet sites.

Besides...the chances of me doing what you tell me to do is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He absolutely should not have kicked the FG.

You are down 7 with roughly 6 minuted to go. You have limited drives to score a TD at that point and you have shown an inability to even get in the red zone to that point in the game.

What Garrett did was simply throw a TD opportunity away by kicking a FG on the hope that with one last drive, they will finally score that TD.

Which gives you the greater chance to finally score a TD? Two drives or one drive?

That team is 5/16 on 4th down conversions overall. It’s 4th and 7, not 4th and 1 or 2. Most of those attempts aren’t in wet conditions. So you’re looking at maybe 1 chance in 5 of converting there. If you do, you just tie it up with Tom Brady and three timeouts to run a four minute offense and get into fg range to choke you out. You like those chances? Be honest.

As opposed to making it a four point game and getting the ball back yourself with three timeouts and plenty of time to drive and win the game which a clutch QB of your own calling the shots.

Kicking is the right decision there. Even knowing your fans at home will lose it, because they’re going to second guess *any* difficult decision you have to make. So the noise from them is irrelevant.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hate to shatter your world...but this is a discussion board for fans. Opinion and second-guessing is what drives it. If that bothers you...you should probably find other internet sites.

Besides...the chances of me doing what you tell me to do is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001%
Yes, yes there it is. The position of an immature spoiled brat. "You can't tell me what to do." Second-guess away as if it matters, fool. That's not just a tossed out pejorative without thought. It fits you to a glove. A wise man learns from other people's mistakes, but you can only learn from your own as the fool does and so wear it.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
That team is 5/16 on 4th down conversions overall. It’s 4th and 7, not 4th and 1 or 2. Most of those attempts aren’t in wet conditions. So you’re looking at maybe 1 chance in 5 of converting there. If you do, you just tie it up with top Brady and three timeouts to run a four minute offense and get into fg range to choke you out. You like those chances? Be honest.

As opposed to making it a four point game and getting the ball back yourself with three timeouts and plenty of time to drive and win the game which a clutch QB of your own calling the shots.

Kicking is the right decision there. Even knowing your fans at home will lose it, because they’re going to second guess *any* difficult decision you have to make. So the noise from them is irrelevant.

I’m sorry man, you’re just completely wrong.

You have to look at the consequences of kicking a field goal there. Your most optimistic scenario is that the Cowboys get the ball back and have enough time to drive for a TD with no issues.

Everything else makes it a bad decision. What if the Patriots score a quick TD? You’re still down by two possessions again, so nothing has changed. What if you missed the conversion? You’re still only down one possession. What if you convert and get the ball back? Now you don’t have to drive all the way to the end zone and there’s a chance to win.

It’s coward football and it’s largely the reason this team doesn’t advance deep in the playoffs.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I won’t do a thing except hope the next coach is an actual upgrade. And then, if he is, when you guys turn on him after a few close losses, I’ll probably be defending that guy. We can do this all again and pretend the issue actually is coaching.
So you'll defend any coach without knowing a thing about him.......sounds about right.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
Yes, yes there it is. The position of an immature spoiled brat. "You can't tell me what to do." Second-guess away as if it matters, fool. That's not just a tossed out pejorative without thought. It fits you to a glove. A wise man learns from other people's mistakes, but you can only learn from your own as the fool does and so wear it.

It seems to bother you people (fans) second-guess the staff. Are you being paid by the Cowboys?

As far as your name calling...trust me, I have been call worse by people who are far better than you. That happens when you offer opinion to people who think their opinion is the only one that matters. Hence, the approach I have taken in life in dealing with those types of people; Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It seems to bother you people (fans) second-guess the staff. Are you being paid by the Cowboys?

As far as your name calling...trust me, I have been call worse by people who are far better than you. That happens when you offer opinion to people who think their opinion is the only one that matters. Hence, the approach I have taken in life in dealing with those types of people; Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.
You don't even know me. You are in no position to know you have been called names by people far better than me. I might be Jesus Christ trying to save your soul and here you are slapping me away. Live and let live... or in your case, let die.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
You don't even know me. You are in no position to know you have been called names by people far better than me. I might be Jesus Christ trying to save your soul and here you are slapping me away. Live and let live... or in your case, let die.

Based on those five words...you have a better chance of being the Antichrist.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sorry man, you’re just completely wrong.

You have to look at the consequences of kicking a field goal there. Your most optimistic scenario is that the Cowboys get the ball back and have enough time to drive for a TD with no issues.

Everything else makes it a bad decision. What if the Patriots score a quick TD? You’re still down by two possessions again, so nothing has changed. What if you missed the conversion? You’re still only down one possession. What if you convert and get the ball back? Now you don’t have to drive all the way to the end zone and there’s a chance to win.

It’s coward football and it’s largely the reason this team doesn’t advance deep in the playoffs.

No sweat to disagree, but I’m not wrong. The Pats getting a quick TD on the next possession beats you, regardless. You’re bound to get the ball back at least once in that situation otherwise. You don’t forgo the game-winning points in order to take a very low-percentage shot in the rain against a defense that’s given up six offensive TDs all season. Going for it on 4th and 7 there is not playing with balls. It’s playing without brains.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was actually very cordial, just didn't know much football. Got his job by kissing up to Jerry and backstabbing Wade. But, I know you like riding that red rocket. You took the bait, Hook, Line and Sinker.

I don’t actually care. I was just bringing it up again so you could remind us about it.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
"We can always learn better." After 10 years how many more does he need to learn how to coach and all the correct plays and make the right choices and decisions in key situations?

Sydla

Reaction score
That team is 5/16 on 4th down conversions overall. It’s 4th and 7, not 4th and 1 or 2. Most of those attempts aren’t in wet conditions. So you’re looking at maybe 1 chance in 5 of converting there. If you do, you just tie it up with Tom Brady and three timeouts to run a four minute offense and get into fg range to choke you out. You like those chances? Be honest.

You haven't gotten in the red zone all game and now you think they can do it two times in a row? That makes no sense.

Further, you highlight what many analysts have said. Garrett coached that series before the FG like he was content to take the FG. In other words, if you understand the situation properly and know a FG is not the wise decision, your thinking on 3rd down changes. You can maybe run the ball there and get 4-5 yards and then set up a 4th and 2 which is way more manageable.

It was just bad coaching and situational analysis there by Garrett. And the fact he admitted today on radio that they were either completely unaware of the statistics and data and/or didn't care what the data told them just further shows what a cluster crap this staff was at the end of the game.

Kicking is not the right decision because it nets you nothing. You still need a TD and have left yourself only one drive, at best, to score that TD.

Your boy once again showed a complete lack of late game awareness. It's his calling card.