Jason Garrett on the open market

khiladi

Reaction score
Scott Linehan went 11-25 in 2+ seasons with the Rams, before he was fired 4 games into the 2008 season. He got the OC job with Detroit the following January. Before getting the Rams gig, Linehan did have one really good season as an OC with the Vikings, the year Culpepper completely went off. Otherwise, his Viking and Dolphin offenses didn't exactly light up the league. Now, this is in no way suggesting that Garrett should get an OC gig, but your premise that having a poor HC record will eliminate him from consideration doesn't always hold true. Truth is, there are typically several open positions for HC and OC/DC in a given season, and there aren't a ton of really good candidates to fill those positions.

Linehan also had seventeen years of coaching experience before he became HC of the Rams... He also had Randy Moss the one year Culpepper went off, with all that talent including Carter. Lineman is the premiere example of a coach whose talent obscured his ability. Kind of like Garrett with Romo, Dez and Witten. Hell, lineman would be much better for us than the Red Headed chosen one..

khiladi

Reaction score
If he's coming back next year anyway, there's no reason to wish for a loss. Personally, I never wish for a loss, but I do understand the logic.

If he manages to pull out a win Sunday, it will provide the first indication that he's a good head coach. We've waited three years for any evidence whatsoever to that effect. If he's back next year anyway, we might as well have something we can point to.

So if we get blown out in the playoffs how does the win look, especially considering Kiffen's defense already shut the Eagles down once?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Well, if was written on ESPN, it must be true. If TO said something, it must be true. Those guys have never had a bias, or an agenda. Hard knocks? No, they don't edit that at all. Fine, you want to keep making stuff up to fit your agenda, go ahead. But you just come off like the guy in your sig - shouting nonsense through a construction cone.

Zordon

Reaction score
If he's coming back next year anyway, there's no reason to wish for a loss. Personally, I never wish for a loss, but I do understand the logic.

If he manages to pull out a win Sunday, it will provide the first indication that he's a good head coach. We've waited three years for any evidence whatsoever to that effect. If he's back next year anyway, we might as well have something we can point to.

Not sure how I feel about this. A good coach would not have us in this predicament in the first place. I can't get over some of the close losses this year and how if we just win one or two more, we avoid all of this angst at the end of the year. How we never came away with the feeling that Jason coached us to victory. I can't get over how pathetic this team looked vs the saints/bears. Poor effort started creeping up on this team AGAIN just like it did with Wade but Jason is getting half of the criticism. I can't get over the fact that this offense despite good health and years of continuity still looks like a lost boat at sea at times. Garrett is not a good head coach, I'm tired of waiting for him to become one. Let's be real, the reason for him coming back has nothing to do with the outcome of Sunday's game. It has everything to do with the buddy buddy relationship the Jones clan and the Garrett clan have shared for nearly 2 decades. Jerry is comfortable with Jason behind the scenes and Jason knows what to do/say with Jerry to keep his ego fed and in turn keep him employed.

khiladi

Reaction score
The problem with Garrett's tenure is he's always had a scapegoat. TO was the culture killer. Wade's Cupcake mentality let the prisoners run route in the asylum. Then it was Roy Williams who couldn't get open and Miles stepped up. Yet, now Miles sucks. Last year, Dez couldn't run routes properly and they had to dumb down the offense for him. Now, articles are talking about how this team doesn't do enough to take advantage of Dez and Romo isn't throwing the ball to him, yet years ago Garrett defenders were blasting Romo for throwing deep balls and an INT and him saying it's like a punt. Nowadays, it's Romo for allegedly audibling out of all of Garretts run plays into pass plays... Yada, yada, yada... I guess Jerry Jones wanted Brad Johnson as a back up as well...

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, if was written on ESPN, it must be true. If TO said something, it must be true. Those guys have never had a bias, or an agenda. Hard knocks? No, they don't edit that at all. Fine, you want to keep making stuff up to fit your agenda, go ahead. But you just come off like the guy in your sig - shouting nonsense through a construction cone.

Take the tin foil hat off... Editing Jason explicitly saying he wants Felix Jones... Please... You obviously don't remember the 2008 season that well... Funny that you accept a time clock punching in story and deny everything else, especially what Dan Reeves himself says.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett should be gone and the whole staff done and Lacewell and Garrett's father and they all need to get on Jerry's plane and Jerry needs to push them off when they are flying over Siberia.

Zordon

Reaction score
The problem with Garrett's tenure is he's always had a scapegoat. TO was the culture killer. Wade's Cupcake mentality let the prisoners run route in the asylum. Then it was Roy Williams who couldn't get open and Miles stepped up. Yet, now Miles sucks. Last year, Dez couldn't run routes properly and they had to dumb down the offense for him. Now, articles are talking about how this team doesn't do enough to take advantage of Dez and Romo isn't throwing the ball to him, yet years ago Garrett defenders were blasting Romo for throwing deep balls and an INT and him saying it's like a punt. Nowadays, it's Romo for allegedly audibling out of all of Garretts run plays into pass plays... Yada, yada, yada... I guess Jerry Jones wanted Brad Johnson as a back up as well...

Don't forget Patrick Crayton, Marty B, Kevin Ogletree, Rob Ryan, Skip Peete, and Ray Sherman.

Every time one of these guys has left, their name has been dragged in the mud.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Scott Linehan went 11-25 in 2+ seasons with the Rams, before he was fired 4 games into the 2008 season. He got the OC job with Detroit the following January. Before getting the Rams gig, Linehan did have one really good season as an OC with the Vikings, the year Culpepper completely went off. Otherwise, his Viking and Dolphin offenses didn't exactly light up the league. Now, this is in no way suggesting that Garrett should get an OC gig, but your premise that having a poor HC record will eliminate him from consideration doesn't always hold true. Truth is, there are typically several open positions for HC and OC/DC in a given season, and there aren't a ton of really good candidates to fill those positions.

Brian Billick won a sb, and he can't get a hc job,jim fassell went to a sb, and he can't even get a sniff.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
@fishsports: #mavs Cuban on #cowboys 'I think Jerry would be crazy to fire Garrett. Hardest thing is sports is to find a good head coach'

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if we get blown out in the playoffs how does the win look, especially considering Kiffen's defense already shut the Eagles down once?

Who is Kiffen?

Are you referring to Monte Kiffin?

Aven8

Reaction score

It's total crap IMO, and for the life of me I still cannot fathom what he sees in this bum. I'm not sure i can stomach another year of this offense. When did Jerry say he was keeping him??

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
He will get interviews for Head Coaching jobs, no doubt about it. The perception around real NFL people is not that Garrett has a wealth of talent to work with and a brilliant GM that he has failed. Former coaches in the media continuously point out our lack of depth and that Jerry has not setup a winning environment.

I don't think he'd ever get a shot at NFL OC much less HC...least ways without a lot more successful experience.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Garrett should be gone and the whole staff done and Lacewell and Garrett's father and they all need to get on Jerry's plane and Jerry needs to push them off when they are flying over Siberia.

Agreed. Garrett never should've been hired in the first place. But some reason, Jerry had to have him as OC before we even had a HC in place. Then he made the easy in-house promotion of Garrett to HC rather than go through with a real coaching search. I've seen 7 years of Garrett's pass happy offense where it takes the broadcast announcers and national media to call him out before he finally decides to throw in some first half token runs the next week. But no doubt he'll always revert to pass, pass, pass whenever he'll next feel the pressure during a game.

And don't get me started on Lacewell. Jerry doesn't know anything about evaluating personnel which is why he always relied on Lacewell. But that only led to the gosh awful teams of the late 90's thru Campo's tenure. I thought when BP came here we were finally done with Lacewell, but every year we keep hearing about how Jerry consults with him and even Switzer, to the point of even over-riding the recommendations of the scouts and coaches. Even this past year it was Lacewell who sold Jerry on hiring old man Kiffin. The best thing to happen to Dallas besides Jerry going away would be for Lacewell to go away.

Common Sense

Reaction score
As far as Reeves, it wasn't because he didn't want to punch the clock, it had to do with the role that Reeves was coming in as, which Reeves clearly explained. Things like punching the clock, which is how Jerry spun it, directly tied into the view of what Reeves was being brought in for. Reeves was not going to be a assistant coach, but a consultant who was planning on having force to make changes in how things were run.

I never saw the reeves quote. What was it?

khiladi

Reaction score
I never saw the reeves quote. What was it?

I'll have to track it down, but essentially it was about him being brought in as a consultant to look at the whole operation, including the running game and make real changes. Jerry and the whole concept of a clock was essentially to make Reeves like an assistant coach, meaning no control to make any changes that need to be made.

jday

Reaction score
Let's say Garrett got served his walking papers Monday morning. After yet another 8-8 season Jerry had enough and decided to move on.

Where would he end up? In what capacity?

No shot he gets another HC gig, right?

A good move for him might be going to a college program and trying to turn it around. He's pretty boring once you've seen a few of his pressers, but he might actually be a pretty good recruiter.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
You have to remember that many see Jerry as holding Garrett back so who knows.........

Jerry being Jerry lol. Hire Garret before naming Head Coach. Romo second year and team(built by parcells) goes 13-3. Jerry credits Garret promises him reigns to HC if he stays. Fast Foward 2010. Romo out, team quits on Wade. Wade fired Garret named interim HC. Team goes 5-3 with Kitna. Why? Adjusted playcalling to benefit back up QB. Go figure lol. Garret looks like the real deal. Reality was a 500 team with an OC as a head coach asking an above average QB to carry the team on his shoulders while game planning and calling plays that exploited more of the QB weaknesses than his strengths. Outcome? Win some Lose some. Jerry not wanting to admit he was wrong about Garret. Steps in, strips play calling duties, names Callahan OC but still using Garrets offense. Ryan gets canned because it had to be somebodys fault. Guy really never had a chance. Got thrown a couple of bones in draft. But he always believed in them and he was entertaining. Jerry discards 3-4 and implements 4-3 and hires a fossil to run it. Extends Romo with huge contract and running same offensive scheme that doesn't suit him. Result? Average offense that shows signs of a decent offense when balanced with a running game that appears to be existent and has reared her ugly head out of nowhere. Maybe new positions on o-line. Whatever the case it appears to work at times because we have out first 1000 yard rusher since 2006. But has to be scrapped in favor of the passing game because defense can no longer be trusted. After years of neglect of several key positions on defense in favor of offensive areas of no need can cause this to happen. Solution. Passing more which results in more three and outs, no clock management, and more playing time for our already crappy defense. Yeah that makes sense.

I guess I am ranting to much and maybe putting to much into this. But Jerry is running this circus. How else can you explain ditching a game plan that involved a newly found running game with a double digit lead in favor of throwing the ball with a defense like this. Is garret really that stupid and stubborn? Or is he being influenced? Something isn't right.