Jason Garrett on the open market

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
If he's coming back next year anyway, there's no reason to wish for a loss. Personally, I never wish for a loss, but I do understand the logic.

If he manages to pull out a win Sunday, it will provide the first indication that he's a good head coach. We've waited three years for any evidence whatsoever to that effect. If he's back next year anyway, we might as well have something we can point to.

dupree89

Reaction score
If he's coming back next year anyway, there's no reason to wish for a loss. Personally, I never wish for a loss, but I do understand the logic.

If he manages to pull out a win Sunday, it will provide the first indication that he's a good head coach. We've waited three years for any evidence whatsoever to that effect. If he's back next year anyway, we might as well have something we can point to.

I agree with you- and not just because you're a staff member and its the right thing for me to do.
I think the Washington win + the Romo injury guarantees Garrett's return. The coaching staff really needs to show us something this week though. Garrett can't make poor in-game decisions and the staff needs to come with a sound gameplan and stick with it.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
The best he would get at this point at the NFL level is a QB coach job.

This belief in his 'reputation' is over four years old, when he was viewed as an up-and-comer.

After three 8-8's, that ship has sailed and been replaced by truth.

Scott Linehan went 11-25 in 2+ seasons with the Rams, before he was fired 4 games into the 2008 season. He got the OC job with Detroit the following January. Before getting the Rams gig, Linehan did have one really good season as an OC with the Vikings, the year Culpepper completely went off. Otherwise, his Viking and Dolphin offenses didn't exactly light up the league. Now, this is in no way suggesting that Garrett should get an OC gig, but your premise that having a poor HC record will eliminate him from consideration doesn't always hold true. Truth is, there are typically several open positions for HC and OC/DC in a given season, and there aren't a ton of really good candidates to fill those positions.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Scott Linehan went 11-25 in 2+ seasons with the Rams, before he was fired 4 games into the 2008 season. He got the OC job with Detroit the following January. Before getting the Rams gig, Linehan did have one really good season as an OC with the Vikings, the year Culpepper completely went off. Otherwise, his Viking and Dolphin offenses didn't exactly light up the league. Now, this is in no way suggesting that Garrett should get an OC gig, but your premise that having a poor HC record will eliminate him from consideration doesn't always hold true. Truth is, there are typically several open positions for HC and OC/DC in a given season, and there aren't a ton of really good candidates to fill those positions.

I think it's more of having poor performances from the offense while he was the OC.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
It's a myth that Jason was hamstrung. JJ has done everything to make him succeed, he's just failed. JJ didn't bring in Dan Reeves because of Jason. Now that Jason is failing, he put an experienced OC, Callahan to help him out. He went to get him Roy Williams when the offense was suffering with his play-calling and DB were saying his passing routes were simple and don't trick anybody. He got him Felix Jones when Wade wanted Chris Johnson. Went and replaced Jacques Reeves and Anthony Henry with big name CB and then got Mo. He gave him a LT. He got him Frederik for the blitz up the middle. He got him Houck, when Wade wanted Solari.

Oh yeah, don't forget Jerry allowed Jason to make his brother passing game coordinator after a year of being a TE coach, with our revolving door of TEs that the genius crew kept selecting. Oh, we didn't even fire him, but Brian Stewart was canned pretty quick.

Oh, where to begin? Jerry traded for RW after week 6 of the 2008 season. The offense had average 30 points and 400 yards a game to that point. Hardly a suffering offense. He got RW because he was always enamored with him since his time at Texas, and because Romo had just gotten hurt, and he wanted to give Johnson another weapon. And let's not act like that was a good move. He gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick, and $45 million dollars. He didn't just hamstring Jason with deal, he hamstrung the whole team. He didn't bring in Reeves because Reeves didn't want to punch a clock, not because Garrett didn't want him. And how do we know that would have even been a good idea? As For taking Felix when Wade wanted CJ...um, Felix was never that good. CJ has tailed off, but gave the Titans more in two years than Felix gave the Boys in five. He replaced Reeves with Pac Man. How'd that work out? He gave Carr $50 million, and spent two top picks on Mo. How has that worked out so far? He's never let Jason fully pick his own staff. He got him Fred, but he also got him Livings and Berny. As for Callahan, well, he does have experience. Other than that, he hasn't added that much.

Garrett's made mistakes, and Jerry has done things to help Jason. But please, the myth is that Jerry has done "everything to make Garrett succeed" and has never hamstrung him.

You gotta stop just making stuff up.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I think it's more of having poor performances from the offense while he was the OC.

Well, I get that, but like I said, Linehan never really lit it up (save for maybe one season) as an OC before he got a HC gig. I just think that people in NFL front offices will have a much different view of JG than we do. A lot of times, they do things that defy our understanding.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Agreed...............We lose and it cements his reputation as a 500 coach and nothing more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think there are plenty of candidates clearly doing a better job, at both the college and pro levels.

When you're being schooled on national television by the guys in the announce booth, everybody knows about it.

The only team that believes in Garrett at this point is the one that believed in him originally.

The same team that stubbornly refuses to believe that they were obviously wrong.

visionary

Reaction score
Well, I get that, but like I said, Linehan never really lit it up (save for maybe one season) as an OC before he got a HC gig. I just think that people in NFL front offices will have a much different view of JG than we do. A lot of times, they do things that defy our understanding.

you are forgetting that coaches like linehan and others proved over time that they could do their job effectively at lower levels of organzations and produce results and were promoted based on actual performance. as such when they were fired as HCs, other HCs believed that they could come in and become effective co-ordinators again because they had proved that

JG was promoted based on nepotism and because jerry wanted him and htought he was 'the next landry'

when wade was hired as HC, norv turner was also one of the potential candidates. he refused to come here because jerry insisted that garrett should be the OC and would call plays. norv felt garrett was not ready. so clearly, other people could see back then that he was not ready.

even now he commits basic game management mistakes that are at critical points and actually have cost his team the game. so any HC that hires him as OC would need to oversee the offense constantly in-game to make sure he does not cost the team the game

even his biggest supporters now say that he is not a good OC or game manager but 'would be better in the front office'. once again arguing to promote this guy for not doing his current job well (think about how ludicrous that is--- you suck at your current position so we will promote you). almost sounds like an episode of "the office" or a bad comedy

Garrett has not been a success at any level of football, others see this and if he is fired i cannot imagine that he will be a HC or OC in the NFL next year

of course this is moot because he is not getting fired

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
you are forgetting that coaches like linehan and others proved over time that they could do their job effectively at lower levels of organzations and produce results and were promoted based on actual performance. as such when they were fired as HCs, other HCs believed that they could come in and become effective co-ordinators again because they had proved that

JG was promoted based on nepotism and because jerry wanted him and htought he was 'the next landry'

when wade was hired as HC, norv turner was also one of the potential candidates. he refused to come here because jerry insisted that garrett should be the OC and would call plays. norv felt garrett was not ready. so clearly, other people could see back then that he was not ready.

even now he commits basic game management mistakes that are at critical points and actually have cost his team the game. so any HC that hires him as OC would need to oversee the offense constantly in-game to make sure he does not cost the team the game

even his biggest supporters now say that he is not a good OC or game manager but 'would be better in the front office'. once again arguing to promote this guy for not doing his current job well (think about how ludicrous that is--- you suck at your current position so we will promote you). almost sounds like an episode of "the office" or a bad comedy

Garrett has not been a success at any level of football, others see this and if he is fired i cannot imagine that he will be a HC or OC in the NFL next year

of course this is moot because he is not getting fired

Yeah, I'll grant you that Garrett came in without much experience, and most coaches have more. He may end up like Rasheed Morris, who was overly promoted, and end up a position coach. I'm just saying, all it takes is one team to think his lack of success (or perceived lack) isn't an issue, because he had to deal with Jerry, or TO, or a lot injuries, or poor OLs, or any number of excuses. Working in sports, to a large degree, is like working in show business. Know the right person, you can get a job in 5 minutes (sound familiar?), whether or not you deserve it, and whether or not there are tester choices out there.

visionary

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll grant you that Garrett came in without much experience, and most coaches have more. He may end up like Rasheed Morris, who was overly promoted, and end up a position coach. I'm just saying, all it takes is one team to think his lack of success (or perceived lack) isn't an issue, because he had to deal with Jerry, or TO, or a lot injuries, or poor OLs, or any number of excuses. Working in sports, to a large degree, is like working in show business. Know the right person, you can get a job in 5 minutes (sound familiar?), whether or not you deserve it, and whether or not there are tester choices out there.

Agree with your take
He will be here next year anyway so it does not really matter

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This sums up my feelings. All of the other noise that he has not lost the team, etc. is irrelevant.

A win puts him on the map and is a real achievement, not a simple hope based on next to no tangible substance.

visionary

Reaction score

Agreed

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if we lost a close game and it was because of his bad coaching?

visionary

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if we lost a close game and it was because of his bad coaching?

cant be
garrett is a great HC and to even think anything else is sacriligious

i would recommend doing 100 "i believes" and 200 "stackings" as penance for even suggesting such a thing

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

"It was loss was disappointing, very disappointing, but as I stand here right now, relatively speaking, not having #9 kept us from doing a lot of things to remain competitive."

NJ22

Reaction score
By the way all this talk of how jason cant win because of jerry is BS. As much of a crap GM that jerry is wade took the team to the playoffs twice in his first 3 years.

khiladi

Reaction score
Oh, where to begin? Jerry traded for RW after week 6 of the 2008 season. The offense had average 30 points and 400 yards a game to that point. Hardly a suffering offense. He got RW because he was always enamored with him since his time at Texas, and because Romo had just gotten hurt, and he wanted to give Johnson another weapon. And let's not act like that was a good move. He gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick, and $45 million dollars. He didn't just hamstring Jason with deal, he hamstrung the whole team. He didn't bring in Reeves because Reeves didn't want to punch a clock, not because Garrett didn't want him. And how do we know that would have even been a good idea? As For taking Felix when Wade wanted CJ...um, Felix was never that good. CJ has tailed off, but gave the Titans more in two years than Felix gave the Boys in five. He replaced Reeves with Pac Man. How'd that work out? He gave Carr $50 million, and spent two top picks on Mo. How has that worked out so far? He's never let Jason fully pick his own staff. He got him Fred, but he also got him Livings and Berny. As for Callahan, well, he does have experience. Other than that, he hasn't added that much.

Garrett's made mistakes, and Jerry has done things to help Jason. But please, the myth is that Jerry has done "everything to make Garrett succeed" and has never hamstrung him.

You gotta stop just making stuff up.

Your one of those stat guys that think by shouting numbers cloud the reality that this offense wasn't suffering that year when the Cowboys made the trade. For example, we can easily google when that race happened and find a bunch of articles about how Dallas was having trouble getting the ball to TO and the trade was alleged to open things up for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643295

The article recognizes two realities, among them "faltering offense" and a long-term solution to replacing TO. The move also clearly states that this was a means by which they thought it could open up double teams and allow single coverage on TO every once in awhile, because the claim at the time was Crayton wasn't getting it done as a second WR. In fact, things got so bad with Garrett and his offense, that it was only when Miles Austin had the break out game in KC that things died down a little bit, but even that funny save this bumbling offense, cause here we are again with the same story.

As far as Reeves, it wasn't because he didn't want to punch the clock, it had to do with the role that Reeves was coming in as, which Reeves clearly explained. Things like punching the clock, which is how Jerry spun it, directly tied into the view of what Reeves was being brought in for. Reeves was not going to be a assistant coach, but a consultant who was planning on having force to make changes in how things were run.

Further, maybe you missed the point about Felix Jones, but it was Jerry who asked Jason Garrett his opinion directly on Hard Knocks who he preferred, and it was Felux Jines, meaning even when we chose a RB in the first, Jerry catered towards the needs and wants of Garrett. He asked Garrett and Garrett told him who he wanted. Additionally, what's even a bigger stain on Garrett is the bringing in of Hudson Houck as OK coach, when. Wade wanted Mike Solari who runs a zone blocking scheme. Ironically, we started moving to zone blocking scheme with Garrett in Houcks last year and brought in Callahan, when Solaris could have been here long ago.

And the idea that Garrett can't pick his own staff is utterly refuted by Houck, as well as the fact that Jason brought his own brother with him as TE coach, and we've had nothing but failure from TE position since then. If we never had an already established HOF TE in Witten, the Garrett family would even look worse. Last year, Garrett promoted his brother to passing game coordinator as well. Because of our ineptitude, he wasn't re-extended but 'left. Ironically, we fired Ryan and Peete, but the spin from Valley Ranch regarding the Garrett brother was he went on to greener pastures. And guess who we brought in as WR coach.... Yep, one of Garrett's other buddies.

What's hilarious is that all the. Garrett homies were spinning Kiffen as a Garrett move, because if his alleged ties with Kiffen in Tampa. Now, they are backtracking like wild fire saying Kiffin was forced on him.

BTW, Pacman was brought in during Wades era and released during Wades era.