Jason Garrett - Where's the love?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
theres no debate. He is a decent HC and decent leader, but cant get us over the hump. FACT...hes been here nearly 10 years. **** or get off the pot.
So mighty as well fire just about every other coach since almost all of them haven’t won the big one. :facepalm:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The fact that they ran for 100 yards in the first half and proceeded to do the exact same thing second half doesn’t make him look like a good coach. I get it. He’s an offensive guy, however he’s the Head coach and needs to be able to have positive input for changing what was killing us. I’m not sure he has the knowledge needed for that, but he clearly should know better than the 4th down run at the strength of their D. Hell, at the best player in the league. At some point stubborn just becomes stupid.

I believe Mark Schlereth. They failed to adjust. The Ram’s staff knew before the game we’d run those stunts to stop the run. Our staff didn’t know until after the game that they did not work. That’s on the head coach. Everything is. Sorry that’s the way leadership works.

That’s enough. I don’t need to mention our tired offensive scheme or the fact that he didn’t and maybe still doesn’t understand clock management. He did start talking to people during the game(coaching). So maybe he got better with the clock too.

Exactly, and, as usual, when we're outcoached, it's because we either didn't make the right adjustments or they stuck to what they were doing and refused to adjust. One of the strengths of the Rams is that McVay does do a good job of adjusting. The Colts totally and completely outsmarted us from the word "kickoff". We were completely outcoached by the Titans and refused to adjust. Yes, it was a good season from the Eagles game and beyond, but those are 3 examples of games where we were completely outcoached by our staff's inability to adjust.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wrong forum bro. This is the Cowboys forum, not the Browns......……..we dont measure success here by regular season wins, we use playoffs as the measuring stick.

Whats your boy's winning percentage in the playoffs compared to Belichick, Knoll, Landry, Cowher, Carroll, ect…..

After a decade, were these coaches still trying to get past the divisional round?
so true, and JG has had 3 talented teams, that got into playoffs, and all 3 lost in the div round ,2014,2016,2018.
All 3 were good enough to get to SB with a better coach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You didn’t watch it closely enough. There was an article on CBS, for example, talking about the game plan and things McVay used to get our LBs out of position (motion, fake jet sweeps, etc.) to create running opportunities. It was also pointed out in multiple places our DL was giving off tells that the Rams staff used to their advantage. That’s coaching.

So do I trust people with no real bias one way or the other and their analyses of the game, or you, the guy who likely had made more excuses for Garrett than any poster here?

What is this 'motion' you're talking about? "Fake jet sweeps" you say? You ought to send an email to jason.garrett@dallascowboys.com and send him a link to this CBS article so we know he'll be exposed to these concepts for next season, at least.

Please. The Rams are a good team. They're well coached. So are the Cowboys. The game was a good game. They outplayed us at home and beat us for good on the 4th and 1. That's really what's supposed to happen when you're the higher seed. It happened three other times last weekend alone, for example.

And you should probably learn to distinguish between 'bias' and 'interests.' You don't have to be biased to slant an article you want people to read. I imagine if there were any point in doing so, you could write an article about plenty of things the Cowboys coaching staff did to prepare for that game based off of what they saw on tape. It doesn't get written, though, because we lost. That's the breaks.

As for who you trust, does it matter? You're not interested in what actually happened. You just want to paint a specific picture because you want to change out the coach. Because this time, that's going to fix things in Dallas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got out coached and out talented.

That’s the reality. If you want to put some spin on it where Garrett did a really nice job Saturday night and was just a poor victim of facing a more talented team, well have at it.

The better team won. We were in position to maybe steal one, but it was a long shot at that. I can live with that because I've seen it enough across the league and don't expect things to be different just because it happens to be the team a root for in that position.

Not everybody has that perspective, and that's ok. If you want to be out for blood, be out for blood. There's the HC, the QB, and the Owner. Take your pick or target all three. There will be other threads in the offseason where we're able to talk specifics of what really needs to be improved. I can wait.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
So mighty as well fire just about every other coach since almost all of them haven’t won the big one. :facepalm:

Nearly every single coach in the history of the league who has coached as long as Garrett has won the big one.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are plenty of up and coming young College coaches that would love a chance in the NFL and I bet every one of them will work for Jerry. The game is changing to a more NCAA type and you have to adjust to that style. We need some coaches who know that game well, not a HC stuck in the past.

Not only that, but I think some of those coaches probably would bring some innovative ideas to the NFL. Personally, I'd like for us to be at the cutting edge of new ideas. I could see some of them actually getting on okay with Jerry while producing better results.

Dre11

Reaction score
theres no debate. He is a decent HC and decent leader, but cant get us over the hump. FACT...hes been here nearly 10 years. **** or get off the pot.

Well I'll ask you this, if he's a decent HC, who's the great coach that's getting us over the hump. Great coaches don't grow on trees as the OP said....lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think it’s been 23 years and that we ought to focus on how we can get even better at adding quality players because drafting great has not been enough.

Oh, no doubt we should be more involved in selling players when the time is right, adding players through FA, and other things to that effect. That's on the FO. However, I think that the coaches could be more innovative. We have a mobile QB with Dak. We have Zeke who can really wear down a defence. We have Cooper who has done what we've seen him do this year, and I think he can get even better with his age. Then there's Gallup to really stretch a defence. That's quite the offence if we can be innovative with it. You can't run a 90s-Aikman/Romo-style offence with it all the time. It's brilliant to stick to running the ball and all. However, when throwing the ball or running it, I'd like to see us be a bit more creative with how we use Dak. If we can get him to carry the ball more, I think that defences will really become confused. Then, if he starts to roll out or take off down the middle, secondary players may be a bit more leery of his running ability. This gives Cooper or Gallup that extra second needed to be wide open. One thing I want to see us do is to let Zeke stand a bit as an upback and take the snap. Then, flip the ball to Dak on the outside who has the option to launch it to an open receiver or take off. Something clever like that would be fun to see, and quite taxing on opposing defences. Personally, I think it'd compliment the strengths of our team quite well. The more we get Dak moving, the better he'll do I think.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gotta love it, the easy opt out is who actually thinks we have a better team than the Rams... Well, the one thing we definitely do know is the Rams coaches are superior to the Cowboys!

Not only that, but didn't we beat one of the few teams that beat them? I think the Saints remember full well what we did to them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Pete Carroll had 2 winning seasons during his first 6 years.
Belichick was an awful coach before he got Brady.
Chuck Knoll (HOF) had ONE 10 win season in his last 12 seasons.
In the 3 comparable years during his coaching career (2016-18 for Garrett), Bill Cowher went 7-9, 6-10, 9-7 and only had one 12 win season before that. JG has had 2 seasons with more wins.

You'd be wise to thank the coaching gods that JG is our coach. I look forward to many wininng seasons with him at the helm.

[I think its safe to say that Garrett's biggest influence on his offensive philosophy is Norv Turner. Yet Norv was able to design and implement a scheme that fused his Coryell based attack with what Cam Newton does well. Newton was having a great season until he got hurt. So if Norv Turner can modify and evolve his scheme to fit his personnel then I see zero excuse for Garrett. If I am Jerry I am telling the coach design an offense that fits Dak or I will find someone that will...

They can't run a scheme that is based on having the best OL in football. Even if they have the best personnel that's not accounting for injuries and regression. I think the roster is good enough and the coaches are squandering it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right! If Garrett wants to coach here more, then he either needs to create plays and formations that take advantage of our offence's strengths or hire an OC that will (and let that coach use his OWN playbook). Otherwise, we need to find a coach like Lincoln Riley, Cam Aiken (https://247sports.com/Article/Best-...s-and-staffers-under-the-age-of-30-121094808/), Austin Carta-Samuels (https://247sports.com/Article/Best-...s-and-staffers-under-the-age-of-30-121094808/ no way would I know that name without that link, but he seems to have done quite well with Mizz), or the Memphis OC (https://247sports.com/Article/Best-...s-and-staffers-under-the-age-of-30-121094808/). Besides Riley, all the coaches that I've mentioned are really quite young, but they seem to have been really quite innovative with their respective squads. At the very least, I'd like to see Garrett bring them in as our OC and allow them to use their own playbook(s). I think our offence would do very well with them.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

How many in the league have been head coach for their respective teams for 8 years and not won a SB? Shoot even coached in a championship game?

Sydla

Reaction score
Well I'll ask you this, if he's a decent HC, who's the great coach that's getting us over the hump. Great coaches don't grow on trees as the OP said....lol

Who knows?

Who would have thought Pederson would win a SB? Or McVay would be as successful? Or Frank Reich would turn the Colts around quickly? Or that Quinn would have the Falcons in a SB short after taking over the job?

There is no worse position that the one that basically argues that because it’s not easy to hire a great coach we should stick with just a decent one despite the fact season after season he comes up well short of real progress.

It’s insane.

Sydla

Reaction score
The better team won. We were in position to maybe steal one, but it was a long shot at that. I can live with that because I've seen it enough across the league and don't expect things to be different just because it happens to be the team a root for in that position.

Not everybody has that perspective, and that's ok. If you want to be out for blood, be out for blood. There's the HC, the QB, and the Owner. Take your pick or target all three. There will be other threads in the offseason where we're able to talk specifics of what really needs to be improved. I can wait.

Frankly, all three have culpability at this point. Jerry carries the most followed closely by a HC that has done very little of note in an 8.5 year run.

But to struggle to admit that we got outcoached Sat night is truly telling. Unbiased analysts have pointed it out repeatedly and you still can’t admit it.

It’s almost bizarre how totally and completely you are in the tank for our HC.