Jason Garrett - Where's the love?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Frankly, all three have culpability at this point. Jerry carries the most followed closely by a HC that has done very little of note in an 8.5 year run.

But to struggle to admit that we got outcoached Sat night is truly telling. Unbiased analysts have pointed it out repeatedly and you still can’t admit it.

It’s almost bizarre how totally and completely you are in the tank for our HC.

Exactly. I don't think that anyone's saying that the front office are without fault in this. The problem that Garrett has is that he lacks the imagination to use our offence effectively. Dak isn't strictly a pocket passer. In fact, he works better when you get him moving in the pocket and let him run with it. I understand protecting him from injury, but I think that he's got the size to be allowed to have more freedom to run with it. I think designed plays to get him moving like the play I mentioned with Zeke and him would be good. Also, I'm surprised that we don't run more Read Option or RPO with him in the redzone. It's effective in getting defences to freeze. We saw that with the option play on that 4th Down. I was yelling "FINALLY!!!!" The defence froze and had to adjust after Dak flipped the ball to Zeke. That gave Zeke enough time to get quite a bit of yardage. I think that might have been the biggest gain Zeke had that game. Why? Because Dak was able to manipulate the defence with his feet. That's the sort of innovation that HELPS Dak and HELPS our offence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't think that anyone's saying that the front office are without fault in this. The problem that Garrett has is that he lacks the imagination to use our offence effectively. Dak isn't strictly a pocket passer. In fact, he works better when you get him moving in the pocket and let him run with it. I understand protecting him from injury, but I think that he's got the size to be allowed to have more freedom to run with it. I think designed plays to get him moving like the play I mentioned with Zeke and him would be good. Also, I'm surprised that we don't run more Read Option or RPO with him in the redzone. It's effective in getting defences to freeze. We saw that with the option play on that 4th Down. I was yelling "FINALLY!!!!" The defence froze and had to adjust after Dak flipped the ball to Zeke. That gave Zeke enough time to get quite a bit of yardage. I think that might have been the biggest gain Zeke had that game. Why? Because Dak was able to manipulate the defence with his feet. That's the sort of innovation that HELPS Dak and HELPS our offence.

In fact, I've got an idea! Why not run a reverse option? Have Zeke roll out, flip it to Dak, and let Dak throw the ball then if someone's open? Or, maybe have a regular option play but let Zeke try to throw it? Those could be additional ways to really freeze up the defence. Maybe it doesn't work, but it's worth a go in my view. It's at least creative.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, all three have culpability at this point. Jerry carries the most followed closely by a HC that has done very little of note in an 8.5 year run.

But to struggle to admit that we got outcoached Sat night is truly telling. Unbiased analysts have pointed it out repeatedly and you still can’t admit it.

Yeah, I don't believe for a second we were outcoached Saturday night.

And I happen to think it's bizarre how completely and totally consumed by an obvious agenda you happen to be. But, whatever. People are going to continue to believe what they want to believe. There's a reason why Jerry says and your unbiased 3rd parties concur that Jason would have had multiple HC offers if he were available this offseason. And the explanation for that isn't that I'm in the tank for him and he was clearly outcoached in the divisional playoffs and the teams just don't care.

Dre11

Reaction score
Who knows?

Who would have thought Pederson would win a SB? Or McVay would be as successful? Or Frank Reich would turn the Colts around quickly? Or that Quinn would have the Falcons in a SB short after taking over the job?

There is no worse position that the one that basically argues that because it’s not easy to hire a great coach we should stick with just a decent one despite the fact season after season he comes up well short of real progress.

It’s insane.

Only 1 has won anything, and that was an exception, if they hire someone else and they fall ofnteh cliff, you same people will be here jumping off ledges. I could see if we were continually hovering around 5-11 7-9 each year.

Dre11

Reaction score

We're the Rams favored? We're they considered 1 of the best teams in the league? Did Garrett out coach Carroll the weak before? How about Pederson?...lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only 1 has won anything, and that was an exception, if they hire someone else and they fall ofnteh cliff, you same people will be here jumping off ledges. I could see if we were continually hovering around 5-11 7-9 each year.

Personnel. Matchups. Luck. There are lots of reasons why evenly matched teams do or don't advance to the conference finals and beyond that don't have to have anything to do with coaching.

And when you take the field of 31 other teams against the Cowboys results for an 8 year period, you ought to have examples of teams that made it. I mean, it's 248 variations there. There are 4 slots each year, so you get 32 teams qualifying for the CCGs during that span. Some of them are going to include young coaches. They're all going to have outstanding personnel.

Or flip it around. During that 8 year span, how many teams with better personnel finished worse than Garrett's Cowboys over that span? More, or less than the ones with worse teams that finished better?

People point to coaches and QBs because it's easy. It's easy to look at the job Pederson did last season and say it was the result of great coaching. But compare the players they added to the roster they had in 2016, and it becomes obvious pretty quick that Howie Roseman had more to do with a team going from 7-9 to world champ with the same coach in a two year span.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Exactly, and, as usual, when we're outcoached, it's because we either didn't make the right adjustments or they stuck to what they were doing and refused to adjust. One of the strengths of the Rams is that McVay does do a good job of adjusting. The Colts totally and completely outsmarted us from the word "kickoff". We were completely outcoached by the Titans and refused to adjust. Yes, it was a good season from the Eagles game and beyond, but those are 3 examples of games where we were completely outcoached by our staff's inability to adjust.

So, you think Vince Lombardi, Landry, Belichick....they were simply outcoached whenever they lost in the playoffs? You get that every coach loses games, right? Sometimes it's as simple as being beaten by a better team, or an untimely penalty or whatever.

I'm telling you that we got our ***** handed to us because the Rams were more healthy as a team, therefore had more energy and were able to out-muscle us. Did you see our injury report? Did you see theirs?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Personnel. Matchups. Luck. There are lots of reasons why evenly matched teams do or don't advance to the conference finals and beyond that don't have to have anything to do with coaching.

And when you take the field of 31 other teams against the Cowboys results for an 8 year period, you ought to have examples of teams that made it. I mean, it's 248 variations there. There are 4 slots each year, so you get 32 teams qualifying for the CCGs during that span. Some of them are going to include young coaches. They're all going to have outstanding personnel.

Or flip it around. During that 8 year span, how many teams with better personnel finished worse than Garrett's Cowboys over that span? More, or less than the ones with worse teams that finished better?

People point to coaches and QBs because it's easy. It's easy to look at the job Pederson did last season and say it was the result of great coaching. But compare the players they added to the roster they had in 2016, and it becomes obvious pretty quick that Howie Roseman had more to do with a team going from 7-9 to world champ with the same coach in a two year span.

Exactly.

You'll never get the idiots who think they understand football better than JJ, JG, and SL to understand your point. They are as dense as a black hole.

Dre11

Reaction score

What's funny is all these fools were quiet when they went 7-1 and beat Seattle, some was even changing their tune, people like Sydia was gloating at 3-5. Then came crickets, they only came out in a loss at the colts(just like cockroaches) now that the cowboys lost to one of the best teams in the league, their back out....lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's funny is all these fools were quiet when they went 7-1 and beat Seattle, some was even changing their tune, people like Sydia was gloating at 3-5. Then came crickets, they only came out in a loss at the colts(just like cockroaches) now that the cowboys lost to one of the best teams in the league, their back out....lol

Anything less than a Superbowl is validation that there's a coaching/QB/ownership problem. That's just the way it is with fans. A significant subset will go with what's easy and not care about what's accurate. And there's no way to disprove it.

Sydla

Reaction score

And I happen to think it's bizarre how completely and totally consumed by an obvious agenda you happen to be. But, whatever. People are going to continue to believe what they want to believe. There's a reason why Jerry says and your unbiased 3rd parties concur that Jason would have had multiple HC offers if he were available this offseason. And the explanation for that isn't that I'm in the tank for him and he was clearly outcoached in the divisional playoffs and the teams just don't care.

LOL. So what obvious agenda do the national pundits have when the most prevalent conclusion is we got outcoached? It’s hilarious that you seemingly want to ignore the facts thrown out by analysts after the game. You refuse to acknowledge that the game tape shows how the Rams attacked us and we had zero answers for their game plan.

Yes the most obvious explanation is you are in the tank for him. You struggle to largely criticize him when it’s clear he failed or hold him accountable. Even when you throw a token criticism, there is a “but” in there somewhere.

It’s no bias here. It’s purely results driven. 8 years. 2 playoff wins. Three play off appearances.

Simply not good enough.

Sydla

Reaction score

Is this the part where you exaggerate people’s opinions?

At no point in time did I stop criticizing Garrett. The closest I came was the thread by CalPoly who asked would feelings change if he beat the Rams and made a NFCCG.

And in losing to the Rams, we again saw a coaching staff unable to adjust to what an opposing was doing to us. Numerous game analyses showing how the Rams scheme gave us fits, the were able to attack our weaknesses because we were giving tells, etc.

It’s sad how low some of you guys have now set the bar. Greatness for this franchise is apparently just an option now for some of you.

Sydla

Reaction score

If they hire someone who isn’t getting the job done, yes I will criticize. Why wouldn’t anyone who is a true Cowboys fan? Why would any true Cowboys fan just accept mediocrity and not demand more of Jones, the coaches, etc? Why after 8 years on the job is a divisional round loss where we got outcoached somehow something to really celebrate?

It’s Jerry’s job to hire a SB caliber coach. If the next guy fails, then fire him and keep doing that until you find the one that works.

Sticking with a coach that has shown no real discernible progress or shown he can take a team to a high level just because the next guy might be worse is insane to me.

In other words, accept mediocrity or decency because you are afraid of failure.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
LOL. So what obvious agenda do the national pundits have when the most prevalent conclusion is we got outcoached? It’s hilarious that you seemingly want to ignore the facts thrown out by analysts after the game. You refuse to acknowledge that the game tape shows how the Rams attacked us and we had zero answers for their game plan.

Yes the most obvious explanation is you are in the tank for him. You struggle to largely criticize him when it’s clear he failed or hold him accountable. Even when you throw a token criticism, there is a “but” in there somewhere.

It’s no bias here. It’s purely results driven. 8 years. 2 playoff wins. Three play off appearances.

Simply not good enough.

You are spot on. I am sorry but if someone can't tell we got BADLY out-coached in this game then they are just lost. The players were all in stock because they didn't know what hit them. What hit them was terrible coaching setting them up for absolute failure. Meanwhile the coach of the other watch film and actually did his homework and made the game easy on his players.

Out coaching staff is nothing short of an absolute joke. Wasting these players careers.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
and next year when the cowboys don't win the division or make the playoffs there will be the same excuses as there have been for the last three division loses the cowboys and garrett are what they are no more no less a average team with some good regular season results that when they do get to the playoffs then they show who they are average coach with a average team

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

The team was soundly outcoached. Their offensive game plan exploited and attacked a weakness repeatedly. It wasn't just a personnel problem, it was a scheme and game plan problem as well, one that we never adjusted to. Our players are not bad enough individually to give up almost 300 yds rushing without superior coaching to exploit it. It was also a matchup problem that their game plan created. It wasn't just a matter of their players being better, they game planned and put their players in position to be better. Maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses.

Sydla

Reaction score
We're the Rams favored? We're they considered 1 of the best teams in the league? Did Garrett out coach Carroll the weak before? How about Pederson?...lol

Actually, the Cowboys had a pretty good plan the previous week I thought, especially on defense.

But they clearly got out coached Sat and that was clear in the analysis after the game showing how McVay has our defense totally guessing and how they were picking on tells that our DL was giving to the OL.

If you switched coaches, I suspect the Cowboys would have won that game. McVay is simply a better, more innovative coach.