Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't care what people say, they guy knows how to get open and has very good hands to make the catch and move the chains. Welcome back buddy!!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I see a lot of complaints about his catching ability and his lack of YAC.

But he's automatically the best blocking TE on the roster (though that's not saying much considering their corps).

The Cowboys sorely lacked in better blocking last year.

Yeah, we always hear about the blocking...

Our problem was also on 3rd downs and red zone efficiency. Witten isn't helping us with that. He's also a player that pushes to be on the field more than he should be.

If he wants to block - that's fine. Enough of this 8 yards when we need 10. If he can't break a tackle in the NFL, he's not very useful at this point in the receiving game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say this is a good day for Ben Rogers at The Fan.

He got dogpiled for saying Witten was returning during the season last year.

Turns out that indeed is what Witten wanted to do, but thought it would be wrong at the time.

Well as long as Ben's happy I'm good with it.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think he accepted the fact that he was not cut out for the broadcast booth and wants to get into coaching and this is an easy way in. He will serve as much in that capacity for the other TE's and will not have the role he had before playing 98% of the snaps. I also think they feel he helps address the red zone scoring issues that were a problem last season.

I know this pisses some off but I think it made a lot of the coaches and players on the team happy to know he's coming back. He is a solid unwavering rock on the team. I mean you didn't really think Booger's most favorite player of all time would not be returning someday, did you? Witten was his balance to Hardy, Gregory, McClain.

If they want him back as a coach then pay him to coach, not play. This is a horrible move unless it's for the veteran minimum or close to it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Man this guy is maybe the slowest TE in the league. I’m fine with him on red zone and 3&5 or less but damn man as a full time guy? Makes us so much less dynamic and that much more predictable. I pray to god he takes a niche role and not 97% of the snaps like he has his whole career.
This slow guy still can’t be covered up the seam, out in the flat and going across the middle. Learn your football

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
No offense but it’s freaking idiotic to eat up 10MM in cap space for Lee and 5MM in cap space for Witten to be essentially player coaches.

This is a dumb organization by any rational measure.

I don't disagree. But personally I'd rather have Witten back than Lee.

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten would have come back last year but he would have had to clear waivers as late as it was discussed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
what might be intriguing is wittens effect on Gallup and Amari.

SSoup

Reaction score
Unless the team knows something we don't about Witten restoring his athleticism with some illegal performance-enhancing procedures/substances during his 1-year break from having to follow NFL rules, this is a massive overpay.

Compare Witten's production in 2017 against what we got from the TE group in 2018 and you can see what's up. After his rapid decline, he'd fallen to the point where he can't outproduce bargain-bin generic roster bodies. And he's only older. And there's a great chance he just took a year's break from working out and eating right like he normally would have. Yikes.

If we miss out on an Earl Thomas or on locking down a key extension, and throwing an extra 4 million at the guy up front might have put the deal over the top and made it happen, Witten will have actively hurt the team by coming back. So he really better magically be the Witten from 5+ years ago to justify this stupid overpay. Otherwise we wasted a roster spot and millions of dollars on a mascot.

Par for the course for a General Manager whose job of making personnel decisions sometimes conflicts with his job of drumming up interest and sales for the team's business side. Ugh. Wake me up when Jerry finally moves on.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I first thought it was a joke but you can't hate on Witten. I do think he's going into coaching after this year. He'd be a player/coach next season. Then he'll slide into our coaching staff. That I do not mind.