Signed by Cowboys Jason Witten signs four-year extension through 2021

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I think you had the verbiage right but the point of your post was what I missed (basically that Revis was going to get paid 6 million one way or the other. The only way to entice him would be to pay him more than the 6 million per. Which I agree with your stance. I'm not paying the guy that much money and I'm sure as hell not paying him more).

You nailed it, I missed it. My bad, brother.

Glad to see you understand, many still don't.

And some clowns even think he'll do it because "get this... he loves football".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys who love football don't show up to camp 20 pounds overweight like Revis did last year.

Revis loves money more than he loves football. Unless he's offered more than $10M per year, I don't think he comes back.

I don't think so either. He's at a point where he's getting paid $6 million to do nothing, and his skills aren't worth any other team paying him more than that $6 million.

Adds up to an early retirement.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If this is a cap clearing move this makes some degree of sense. If this really is a true 4 year extension of Witten with guaranteed money and an expectation he will play four more years I take back some of my positive posts about this organization doing a better job running the franchise.

I guess we will have to see the specifics one way or the other. Wittens best days are far behind him in the rear view mirror.

there was no extra guaranteed money.
they can shuffle $4 million to the future if they want it to borrow from 2018.
witten is probably on a year-by-year basis and the deal does not do a thing except quantify what his 2018 salary would be if he plays.
i dont think the details are known right now.
but i suspect his 2018 salary would be lower than his 2017.

irishline

Reaction score

You sure that decimal point is in the right place? :p

Love Witten, and with no additional guaranteed money, I don't see any issue with this signing. He gets open now because defenders can't run as slow as him and outrun him... I'd imagine that advantage gets better with age.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Nice Jerry Jones "I love you for your loyalty" type deal which is really cool. The even cooler part of it is that it frees up a bit more cap room for us to deal in FA. I'm getting so amped about this draft and the official start of FA.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I don't think so either. He's at a point where he's getting paid $6 million to do nothing, and his skills aren't worth any other team paying him more than that $6 million.

Adds up to an early retirement.
I would sign him for $5. Cheapest signing ever. Does a dollar make it a legal deal like in other business transactions?

noletime95

Reaction score
ESPN article suggests no additional guaranteed money, this just ensures Jason will be around as long as he can be productive.

waldoputty

Reaction score

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Is that your way of saying "No"?
I think the money he gets from the Jets makes him more attractive. We could get a vet cb, borderline HOF for a $1 to make it a legal binding agreement? And he can play zone coverage? Win WIn the way I see it. not much to lose by kicking the tires.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Not a damn man on this earth that saw that with their lady that didn't secretly love it. I don't care. Facts.

Saw it with my daughter. Good thing it was a rental; allowed me to walk out of living room. Borrrrrinnnnng.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the money he gets from the Jets makes him more attractive. We could get a vet cb, borderline HOF for a $1 to make it a legal binding agreement? And he can play zone coverage? Win WIn the way I see it. not much to lose by kicking the tires.

It looks like you're not understanding his situation at all.
:banghead:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

If he doesn't get a raise, I figure he would rather sit on his couch for $6 million than play for $6 million.

I would.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I guess he would want a prove it deal to get big money next year. Thats what I am thinking

If you see that he would be playing for free when he could be sitting on his couch, going through the grind and everything, then ok.

If he wants to play til he's 35, perhaps. Who knows if he wants that.