Jay Ajayi

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There is one "special" back, maybe two. Gurley and Gordon.

Everyone else has holes, no question.

Ajayi is a chain mover. He is productive. He was not the first RB in FBS history with 1,800 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in one year by being a stiff.

In a run based offense you need a back who can get the yards, the "dirty" yards consistently. The "home run hitter" or shifty back need not apply.

In a dead heat between he and Coleman to be that type of RB, his pass catching ability is the tie breaker for me.

Is Ajayi a chain mover? The guy runs soft.

Does he have the build? Yes.

But power and finishing runs just does not show up from what I've seen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is with all of the hype around this guy?

He looks completely average.

Is he supposed to be some kind of power back? Because he doesn't run with much power, speed, or anything.

I don't get it either. He is not overly powerful and not overly fast and he has fumble issues.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Yup........He sucks(sarcasm):lmao:

Can we please sticky this?

Sorry Catch....but your missing on this one. I haven't missed a single one of his games. The kid is a stud. And if Dallas takes him in round #1...I've got no problem

with it...:thumbup:

Floaty, since you watched all of Boise's games, maybe you can give me some perspective. The two things that stood out to me when watching Boise were that the QB often threw the ball in a position where he set up the receiver to get their head taken off. Could just be the games I watched (Ole Miss, Nevada and The Fiesta Bowl). Also, the O-line seemed okay, but it seemed that there were defenders in the backfield often. Were these a common theme for all of the games in 2014?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Good player but nothing that really separates him from the rest of the 2nd tier RBs. And that 2nd tier group consists of 6-8 RBs. With that said, there are obviously surprises in each draft and it's possible that he or RB "xyz" could go on and have a 1200 yd season somewhere as a rookie. But on paper, after Gurley and likely Gordon, you're looking at a bunch of RBs that will come in and at most get 45-50% of the RB snaps in Dallas.

Assuming Gurley is off the board at 27, I think folks will be surprised at how long Dallas waits before selecting a RB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This statement demonstrates either you do not know what you are talking about or you have him confused with another player.

Could you direct me to some evidence that this guy is a tough runner???

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I feel like these guys who are talking about Jay Ajayis strengths are actually talking about TJ Yeldon.

If you want to see tough runs that get finished, great vision, and just really good overall ability it's Yeldon.

Ajayi just doesn't play with that kind of physicality.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And good tackles don't take down Gordon? Gurley is the only back in this draft who has speed and power. Ajayi has enough of both, plus he can catch the ball and doesn't need a great OL.

Not for nothing, Marshawn wasn't the physical runner he is now in college either.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And good tackles don't take down Gordon? Gurley is the only back in this draft who has speed and power. Ajayi has enough of both, plus he can catch the ball and doesn't need a great OL.

Not for nothing, Marshawn wasn't the physical runner he is now in college either.

Neither was Murray so point taken but for a guy that's is supposed to be a "physical" runner I'd like to actually see it done at a higher level then what he demonstrates. Especially against the competition.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

No, I think Mike Davis has that as well.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't see power either. Abdullah is not tough but runs tougher to me.

jday

Reaction score
What is with all of the hype around this guy?

He looks completely average.

Is he supposed to be some kind of power back? Because he doesn't run with much power, speed, or anything.

I'm not a big fan either. I wanted to like him, being from this area, but his running style reminds my of Randle and the Cowboys already have one of those.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jay-ajayi?id=2552582

OVERVIEW
Only player in FBS history with 1,800 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in a single season. Tied for second in school history with 50 career rushing touchdowns. Set school records in rushing yards and touchdowns. In 2014, named third-team AP All-American and first-team All-Mountain West. In 2013, named first-team All-Mountain West. Played in 11 games in 2012 averaging 6.68 yards per rush. Was a redshirt in 2011. In high school, named second-team All-State rushing for over 2,000 yards and 35 touchdowns as a senior. Tore ACL during his 2011 redshirt season. Arrested in 2011 for stealing sweatpants and struggled to get out of coach's doghouse. Born in England.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Good size and great feet. Former soccer player with sudden feet. Able to string together multiple moves at a time. Varies speeds as a runner and can call on second gear when he sees daylight. Hips and feet always in sync thanks to soccer background. Shows enough wiggle to make defenders miss and can create and improvise if creases aren't offering much. Runs with wide base and generates leg drive to push. Plays with bend and bursts through the hole with low pad level. Reliable yards-after-contact back. Accelerates into contact on second level. True weapon out of backfield with adequate hands and good feel for maximizing each catch in space. Twists and turns and fights to fall forward. Asked to be physical, downhill runner between tackles and he obliged. Shows good blitz recognition. Showed mental toughness and character, coming back from deep in the doghouse for October 2011 arrest.
WEAKNESSES
Gets too cute at times looking to sift laterally from gap to gap as he approaches line of scrimmage. Needs to run with more urgency to perimeter. Can get out-flanked when opportunity to turn corner was previously available. Average feel through the hole. Runs into defenders he should be able to avoid. Heavy workload in 2014 with 398 total touches (28.4 per game). Ball-security concerns with 11 fumbles over last 597 carries. Pass-protection technique needs improvement. Tore his ACL in 2011. Was arrested for stealing sweatpants in 2011 and faced long road of severe punishment from then-coach Chris Petersen.
DRAFT PROJECTION
2nd Round
SOURCES TELL US
"Of all the backs in this draft, Ajayi might be my favorite because he can do everything you want from a back and you don't have to find a complementary back to pick up the slack for him in any one area." -- AFC scout in charge of grading running backs "I think he's just a stick mover. I don't see anything special about him. I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 3rd." - NFC East scout
NFL COMPARISON
Mikel LeShoure
BOTTOM LINE
Ajayi's running style and body type are very similar to LeShoure's coming out of college, but LeShoure didn't have the football character to make it in the league. Ajayi features an improving stiff arm and physicality that has become his calling card. Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs while mashing in short yardage and near the goal line. Scouts have been quietly circling Ajayi as a second-tier running back who offers good value on the second day of the draft.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
image: http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/BoiseState_logo.gif

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/BoiseState_logo.gifJay Ajayi*, RB, Boise State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 221.
40 Time: 4.57.
Projected Round (2015): 2-3.

3/14/15: Ajayi looks like a second-day steal, but he could rise in the final lead up in the 2015 NFL Draft. Ajayi has a superb skill set with power, speed, phenomenal balance and versatility.

Ajayi was excellent for Boise State during the 2014 season. He averaged 5.4 yards per carry for 1,689 yards with 25 touchdowns. Through the air, the redshirt junior had 45 receptions for 536 yards and four touchdowns.

Ajayi has the speed to break off yards in chunks, while also being athletic and tough. He can pick up yards after contact, but his biggest flaw is ball security. Ajayi puts the ball on the ground too often. That plagued him in 2013 and could be seen again in 2014, although he improved his ability to avoid fumbles.

In the 2014 season opener, Ajayi played well against Ole Miss' land-shark defense and matched up well against the Rebels' fast stop unit. He ran for 86 yards on 20 carries while catching 12 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown.

8/27/14: Ajayi had broke out for Boise State in 2013 as he averaged 5.7 yards per carry for 1,425 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also dragged down 22 receptions for 222 yards and a score. Ajayi ran for 548 yards and four scores as a freshman. He has some quickness to go along with quality size.
Read more at http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2015RB.php#TVrO3V9GouEXFCoX.99

Szczepanik

Reaction score
" Was arrested for stealing sweatpants in 2011"

LOL PLEASE PAIR HIM WITH RANDLE.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I feel like these guys who are talking about Jay Ajayis strengths are actually talking about TJ Yeldon.

If you want to see tough runs that get finished, great vision, and just really good overall ability it's Yeldon.

Ajayi just doesn't play with that kind of physicality.

I like Yeldon's physicality as well. But to describe him as physical and Ajayi as "soft" is blurring the lines.

If you do not like the player, fine, don't invent something that practically nobody else sees to justify the dislike.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Yeldon's physicality as well. But to describe him as physical and Ajayi as "soft" is blurring the lines.

If you do not like the player, fine, don't invent something that practically nobody else sees to justify the dislike.

Quite a few people just in 1 thread dont see him as a physical runner.

Im sure it doesnt stop here.

For as "physical" as he supposedly is he should look like a man among boys at the level of competition he faced considering his size and so called physical running style.