Jay Ajayi

ccb04

Reaction score
Coleman reminds me somewhat of Murray coming out of OU. Some of their perceived weaknesses were even the same.

On Murray from NFL.com: Weaknesses
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field.

For both Coleman & Murray, comparable weaknesses as viewed by some include: runs high, lack of power to consistently break tackles inside, high cut frame, lack of agility in the hole at times/a bit straight line-ish.

There were times earlier in his career with the Boys, where Murray was criticized for pulling up & not finishing runs. And while Murray did/has had some injury issues...Coleman has remained relatively healthy or simply played through things, like the broken big toe on his right foot that he played with for most of 2014 & needed surgery on.

A strength of Coleman's according to most, is his vision...which was somewhat of a criticism for Murray coming out. Coleman is a decent pass protector at this point, while Murray was quite good coming out. Coleman has displayed a consistent ability to erase pursuit angles...but needs to show more patience at times. Both could catch the ball out of the backfield, with Murray being more polished/having more opportunities in that area.

Both have similar size/higher cut statures. And while neither will remind anyone of Jerome Bettis in terms of power, both display a spirited passion when they run, and it helped Murray become a more consistent interior tackle-breaker at the next level, and I think Coleman could display a similar path of development. Both had ability to finish runs...but it was their consistency as tackle-breakers between the tackles, that was questioned by some.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Coleman reminds me somewhat of Murray coming out of OU. Some of their perceived weaknesses were even the same.

On Murray from NFL.com: Weaknesses
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field.

For both Coleman & Murray, comparable weaknesses as viewed by some include: runs high, lack of power to consistently break tackles inside, high cut frame, lack of agility in the hole at times/a bit straight line-ish.

There were times earlier in his career with the Boys, where Murray was criticized for pulling up & not finishing runs. And while Murray did/has had some injury issues...Coleman has remained relatively healthy or simply played through things, like the broken big toe on his right foot that he played with for most of 2014 & needed surgery on.

A strength of Coleman's according to most, is his vision...which was somewhat of a criticism for Murray coming out. Coleman is a decent pass protector at this point, while Murray was quite good coming out. Coleman has displayed a consistent ability to erase pursuit angles...but needs to show more patience at times.

Both have similar size/higher cut statures. And while neither will remind anyone of Jerome Bettis in terms of power, both display a spirited passion when they run, and it helped Murray become a more consistent interior tackle-breaker at the next level, and I think Coleman could display a similar path of development. Both had ability to finish runs...but it was their consistency as tackle-breakers between the tackles, that was questioned by some.

The draft never has been an exact science. Otherwise, all 1st-2nd round picks would be good players in the league. It's truly unknown the success a player will have in the NFL until you see how he adjusts to the pro game AND coaching after a year or two, or maybe 3. It is interesting how Murray transformed himself into one of the better inside power RBs in the league considering what experts projected him as coming out of college. So basically, you never really know...

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think the guy would be a good pick.

He looks like he could do the job to me.

I do too. I don't get the hate. He is perfect guy that can carry the load. Mayock even said he's a guy he wouldn't worry bout handling 20 carries a game. Mayock also said he think Coleman duke and Abdullah are more home runs hitters and can not handle a lot of carries like yeldon or aiyai

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think of Coleman as a smaller and slower Dmac,they run very similar and have trouble with the dirty yards.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do too. I don't get the hate. He is perfect guy that can carry the load. Mayock even said he's a guy he wouldn't worry bout handling 20 carries a game. Mayock also said he think Coleman duke and Abdullah are more home runs hitters and can not handle a lot of carries like yeldon or aiyai

Yep.

Heck would I like a guy who's a "home run" hitter? You bet. But the fact is if you're picking a back after the 1st round you're going to get a guy who has some flaws. It's just how this sort of thing goes.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
More and more stories coming out about how the team is in love with jay. Took him to dinner,, etc. I don't see it personally but they seem to really like the guy. Just hope we don't trade up to get him

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think of Coleman as a smaller and slower Dmac,they run very similar and have trouble with the dirty yards.

Dirty yards back is what we need. That is how you establish a running tempo.

The more I hear "home run hitter" from someone talking about a back to fit what we do, the more I just chuckle softly to myself knowing that person is an imbecile.

Gaede

Reaction score

The more I hear "home run hitter" from someone talking about a back to fit what we do, the more I just chuckle softly to myself knowing that person is an imbecile.

A year ago, running back was an afterthought in our offense. Then we suddenly got the OPOY and now we're looking for Murray pt 2.

Point being, every year is different.

Alexander

Reaction score
A year ago, running back was an afterthought in our offense. Then we suddenly got the OPOY and now we're looking for Murray pt 2.

Point being, every year is different.

Every year might be different but I will take the 12 wins in one year with the running game versus the 8 wins for several years trying to figure out what we are.

Gaede

Reaction score
Every year might be different but I will take the 12 wins in one year with the running game versus the 8 wins for several years trying to figure out what we are.

Oh for sure, I would too. But the last thing any of us expected last year was for Garrett and Linehan, of all possible combos, to use a power running game to propel the team to 12 wins

My point is, that's what worked for them last year. Maybe they feel something will work even better this year? Not sure. Likely, Garrett will just try to replicate his success, but like I said, I had no idea what was gonna happen last year

Alexander

Reaction score
Oh for sure, I would too. But the last thing any of us expected last year was for Garrett and Linehan, of all possible combos, to use a power running game to propel the team to 12 wins

My point is, that's what worked for them last year. Maybe they feel something will work even better this year? Not sure. Likely, Garrett will just try to replicate his success, but like I said, I had no idea what was gonna happen last year

They need to stick with the formula. It is not like it has not worked for Seattle in recent years.

Then again, Garrett has shown a tendency to get cute during his tenure as a HC and especially as an OC.

That is one thing that is forgotten. Garrett is not a lame duck coaching for his life anymore. He has the strength of a contract.

JBS

Reaction score
This is the guy I want...but I don't see any way he lasts to 60

So that's a bit of a problem

ccb04

Reaction score

I like Ajayi. Wouldn't be upset with the Boys taking him.

All of the draft analysts, to include the better ones like Mayock, Cosell, etc...contradict themselves to some degree. Mayock did indeed say that Ajayi could handle 20 carries a game (and I think he could). But he also has Abdullah, Duke & Coleman ranked ahead of Ajayi and Yeldon in his rankings...and has since they first came out.

Opinions on players are certainly bound to differ. Mayock doesn't have Gurley as his top back. Greg Cosell loves Yeldon & Ajayi & is lukewarm on Gordon among others. He also like Cobb quite a bit. Former Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel (one of the guys that pushed for them to draft Forte), has Tevin Coleman as his #1 back in the draft.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

The sad thing is we had the foundation to be a Run 1st team in the 2013 season and didn't capitalize. The talent difference was not very big from 2013 to 2014, the offensive scheme was just better executed in 2014. Z. Martin was great, but he was not THE factor for the offense. Having a balanced offense was.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Or the more i hear people tooting the Melvin Gordon horn. Great talent but 1) Not a dirty yards guy 2) Not a 3 down back right now. He isnt capable yet of being a receiving threat or trusted in blitz pick up. If we draft Gordon at 27, you will be seeing an awful lot of Darren McFadden in 2015.

If you told me I have to pick between Gordon and Ajayi at 27, I sprint to the podium with Ajayi written on the card

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I don't get it either. He is not overly powerful and not overly fast and he has fumble issues.

I have to disagree with you x. No he isn't a run over you type runner but he is an explode thru the hole type. He has really good balance and better vision than Murray ever had. He isn't afraid to hit the hole knowing he's gonna get crushed but he does always look for the crease to get more yards which isn't something we've had here for awhile. Good hands .. not great and a decent blocker at this stage who will get better. The thing that wows me about him tho is his burst thru the whole and his ability to keep his feet when he gets hit at weird angles. Watch his game against Arizona last year. when he was going down it was against multiple defenders and usually in the backfield. He's not Gurley but I wouldn't be upset about getting him.