Jay Ajayi

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's not really a great highlight video. All of these RBs were good in college and will look good in highlights.

He is OK at most things but not special.

Him and Gordon and Coleman run through the hole when it is open and fall forward when it's not open. I don't see a lot of staying balanced and keeping their feet through first contact.
I just used that video for the one run I mentioned...b/c it's a physical run.

Ajayi has a great burst, maybe a bit behind Gordon. His first two or three steps are great.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Ajayi has a great burst, maybe a bit behind Gordon. His first two or three steps are great.

That run at the 30 second mark is nothing special imo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's not really a great highlight video. All of these RBs were good in college and will look good in highlights.

He is OK at most things but not special.

Him and Gordon and Coleman run through the hole when it is open and fall forward when it's not open. I don't see a lot of staying balanced and keeping their feet through first contact.

I actually think Coleman has pretty good balance. Now, if you are saying balance and power to run through tackles, then I get that. Coleman is a guy who explodes through the whole. You don't see him do a lot of dancing in the whole and not a lot of power runs over guys. He is a one cut through the whole guy. I think it's fair to say that you don't know if he can be the grind it out tough yard guy. We don't know if he is that because you don't see a lot of those kinds of plays out of him.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I actually think Coleman has pretty good balance. Now, if you are saying balance and power to run through tackles, then I get that. Coleman is a guy who explodes through the whole. You don't see him do a lot of dancing in the whole and not a lot of power runs over guys. He is a one cut through the whole guy. I think it's fair to say that you don't know if he can be the grind it out tough yard guy. We don't know if he is that because you don't see a lot of those kinds of plays out of him.

This is a fair assessment, he is the one cut through the whole guy similar to Murray in some ways but different thus far in that Murray looked for contact and would run over people.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Are you referring to the run to the right thay he cuts back across the field? He ran into a defender that was flat footed and standing still and being blocked in the back. I didn't see power in that run.

I don't think he is terrible or anything but I don't see much differentiation from the other guys.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He runs through an arm tackle and rather tahn avoiding a guy, flat fooded or not, runs through him.

I didn't say powerful. I said physical. I didn't say he's much better than anyone else.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He runs through an arm tackle and rather tahn avoiding a guy, flat fooded or not, runs through him.

I didn't say powerful. I said physical. I didn't say he's much better than anyone else.

I just have a problem with people saying he is a 2nd rounder.. Or even a 3rd.

This is a 4th round at best prospect imo.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like to see RBs keep their feet after first contact and more than just running through ankle tackles. They all do it occasionally (highlight videos) but I want to see it often. I just don't see enough of it from several of these guys to be 1st or 2nd round picks. I think most of these guys will be OK but it really comes down to what team they end up with and injuries. Fumbles could derail a few of them.

If I had the choice of Gordon in the 1st, Coleman/Ajayi in the 2nd or Mike Davis in the 3rd it would be an easy choice. I would probably even take Langford or Yeldon in the 3rd over those other guys earlier. Gurley on the other hand is worth a 1st any day.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not trying to just argue, just giving my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I like to see RBs keep their feet after first contact and more than just running through ankle tackles. They all do it occasionally (highlight videos) but I want to see it often. I just don't see enough of it from several of these guys to be 1st or 2nd round picks. I think most of these guys will be OK but it really comes down to what team they end up with and injuries. Fumbles could derail a few of them.

If I had the choice of Gordon in the 1st, Coleman/Ajayi in the 2nd or Mike Davis in the 3rd it would be an easy choice. I would probably even take Langford or Yeldon in the 3rd over those other guys earlier. Gurley on the other hand is worth a 1st any day.

Coleman doesn't scare me. While I do agree with you, at least I think this is what you are saying, that he is not the power runner you would like to see. I also don't see him just going down on first contact. I think it has a lot to do with your OL. In the case of Coleman, I don't have concerns with that much. If they play the way they did for Murray, Coleman is going to see a lot of clean holes and then it will be how well he runs through LBs and secondary. He does that very well IMO. I understand the concern on his ability to run it up in there but honestly, I am not all that worried about that because I think he can do that. Here is a clip of him (you may have already seen this) where in the very beginning, he runs right through the heads up tackle of a LB and breaks the tackle against Michigan. There are a few other plays where he runs through tackles and powers ahead but the thing that I notice about Coleman is that he's not easy to hit head on. He changes directions without losing much speed. It puts defenders on their heels. You don't find that much with guys his size. I think he's going to do well in the right offense. I think that if we drafted him, our scheme would be perfect for him and I do think he would do very well here.

I agree with you on Gurley. I think we also agree on Mike Davis. I would not be disappointed if we landed up with any of those guys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coleman doesn't scare me. While I do agree with you, at least I think this is what you are saying, that he is not the power runner you would like to see. I also don't see him just going down on first contact. I think it has a lot to do with your OL. In the case of Coleman, I don't have concerns with that much. If they play the way they did for Murray, Coleman is going to see a lot of clean holes and then it will be how well he runs through LBs and secondary. He does that very well IMO. I understand the concern on his ability to run it up in there but honestly, I am not all that worried about that because I think he can do that. Here is a clip of him (you may have already seen this) where in the very beginning, he runs right through the heads up tackle of a LB and breaks the tackle against Michigan. There are a few other plays where he runs through tackles and powers ahead but the thing that I notice about Coleman is that he's not easy to hit head on. He changes directions without losing much speed. It puts defenders on their heels. You don't find that much with guys his size. I think he's going to do well in the right offense. I think that if we drafted him, our scheme would be perfect for him and I do think he would do very well here.

I agree with you on Gurley. I think we also agree on Mike Davis. I would not be disappointed if we landed up with any of those guys.

Coleman is definitely a decent prospect. I just feel he is a little overhyped.

He reminds me of a slower Darren McFadden.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If I had to rank my top 5 RB's right now i'd go

1. Gurley

2. Gordon - I have no confidence having him as my #2 but i'll go with it because I think he'd do great in Dallas but maybe not at some other places.

3. Yeldon - Really like everything about him

4. Coleman - Probably the most upside at RB in this class

5. Davis

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Coleman is definitely a decent prospect. I just feel he is a little overhyped.

He reminds me of a slower Darren McFadden.

Maybe top end but I think he might be a little quicker in his change of direction. It's really amazing how he dips his hips and changes directions without losing a lot of speed. I really like that about him.

To be honest, I wish everybody wasn't talking about Coleman. Now, he's probably a 2nd round pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe top end but I think he might be a little quicker in his change of direction. It's really amazing how he dips his hips and changes directions without losing a lot of speed. I really like that about him.

To be honest, I wish everybody wasn't talking about Coleman. Now, he's probably a 2nd round pick.

The worst part about being a draftnik is when you think you've found a value pick for your team, if you're correct then they end up getting drafted earlier than projected. It feels like a no win hobby at times.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think Yeldon is almost washed up,the old explosive slimmer Yeldon is gone and may never come back,he is not in my top 5 list at all.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The worst part about being a draftnik is when you think you've found a value pick for your team, if you're correct then they end up getting drafted earlier than projected. It feels like a no win hobby at times.

It's true.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
For as "physical" as he supposedly is he should look like a man among boys at the level of competition he faced considering his size and so called physical running style.

You keep saying this, but Boise State is not exactly Division III.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You keep saying this, but Boise State is not exactly Division III.

Im not saying Boise State is.. I respect Boise State and feel like they can hang with anyone when they have the right guys.

Just look across the line and see what they're going against.