Jay Ajayi

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is some ugly tape on Coleman out there as well. Indiana is just not that good, in so far as over all talent. Watch Coleman's tape on Michigan (a game in which Indiana has no QB) and against Missouri 2013 (Missouri was a heck of a defense that year). You will notice a lot of tough running from Coleman, along with some ugly plays. A lot, in both of those games, he was playing on his side of LOS. I think he can be physical enough but I also think that in our Offense, he won't have to worry about having to avoid defensive lineman on the handoff. JMO

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heads up, everybody. Learn from Future's mistake here. Do not post even highlight videos if the music is racially or sexually insensitive. It's a very easy mistake to make this time of year and an easy way to inadvertently offend somebody. And it comes with a free bit of time off whenever it happens no matter how relevant the video is to the thread topic. Thanks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, on the topic, Ajayi is my second favorite back in this draft right now. Other than the ball control, I don't see what there is not to like. But I still don't want to take him in the first two rounds. There are other guys who are going to be better value available beneath him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If I had to rank my top 5 RB's right now i'd go

1. Gurley

2. Gordon - I have no confidence having him as my #2 but i'll go with it because I think he'd do great in Dallas but maybe not at some other places.

3. Yeldon - Really like everything about him

4. Coleman - Probably the most upside at RB in this class

5. Davis

This list just wreakes of East Coast bias.......:thumbdown:

bodi

Reaction score
Yeldon - Really like everything about him

is my pick if I had a say in it

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ospects-that-will-be-steals-in-2015-nfl-draft

Five prospects that will be steals in 2015 NFL Draft

The skinny: I'm hearing more and more buzz about Yeldon of late, which is interesting considering he's not a newcomer to the national scene having played a prominent role for Alabama. The thing is, Yeldon has often been left out of discussions about the top running backs in the draft. I think the team that lands him in the middle rounds will be very happy with the value he provides, though. He's a talented rusher with good receiving ability. Yeldon is productive, and I was on hand last month for his pro day, where he ran very well.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Floaty, since you watched all of Boise's games, maybe you can give me some perspective. The two things that stood out to me when watching Boise were that the QB often threw the ball in a position where he set up the receiver to get their head taken off. Could just be the games I watched (Ole Miss, Nevada and The Fiesta Bowl). Also, the O-line seemed okay, but it seemed that there were defenders in the backfield often. Were these a common theme for all of the games in 2014?

You gotta understand one thing- Ajayi was the BSU offense.....period. Some teams like Ole Miss, Nevada really keyed on Ajayi....and that forced our QB Grant Hendrick into some bad decisions. Our QB after the Nevada game got better....But those 2 games in particular Grant struggled. Our O-line was really young this year.....and there was a learning curve having a new coaching staff as well. When we lost our best WR (Matt Miller) it forced our new offensive Co....to adjust and spread the ball around....but still Ajayi carried the load. Considering having a new young coordinator....3 new O-line starters....A new starting QB..... learning a new system.....sure BSU was gonna look bad vs a top 10 team on the road in the 1st game of the year. But that was the hand they were dealt vs Ole Miss.....and going into the 4th Quarter.....the score was 7-6. Not bad.

All this rubbish how Ajayi doesn't run with power.....is laughable. Watch his Jr year tape. People probably mostly see this years lightlights where he was told to go down and not risk fumbles....because that's what teams were doing to him. Trying to strip him because they couldn't stop him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This RB draft seems like it will be really hit or miss. Some of these RBs will do very well and some will be busts, its true for most drafts but I think it will be moreso for this one. I've only read the Brugler guide and watched some Youtube highlights but so far I think Gurley, Ajayi and Buck Allen being the real deal. I think Gordon will be overdrafted and Thompson doesn't do anything for me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This RB draft seems like it will be really hit or miss. Some of these RBs will do very well and some will be busts, its true for most drafts but I think it will be moreso for this one. I've only read the Brugler guide and watched some Youtube highlights but so far I think Gurley, Ajayi and Buck Allen being the real deal. I think Gordon will be overdrafted and Thompson doesn't do anything for me.

Lots of good backs, but lots of different scheme fits. Tough to say (other than Gurley) which of them is going to end up in the best situation or being the best overall player. I could easily see that being a guy from the middle rounds, though, when it's all said and done, and not necessarily in Dallas.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
You gotta understand one thing- Ajayi was the BSU offense.....period. Some teams like Ole Miss, Nevada really keyed on Ajayi....and that forced our QB Grant Hendrick into some bad decisions. Our QB after the Nevada game got better....But those 2 games in particular Grant struggled. Our O-line was really young this year.....and there was a learning curve having a new coaching staff as well. When we lost our best WR (Matt Miller) it forced our new offensive Co....to adjust and spread the ball around....but still Ajayi carried the load. Considering having a new young coordinator....3 new O-line starters....A new starting QB..... learning a new system.....sure BSU was gonna look bad vs a top 10 team on the road in the 1st game of the year. But that was the hand they were dealt vs Ole Miss.....and going into the 4th Quarter.....the score was 7-6. Not bad.

All this rubbish how Ajayi doesn't run with power.....is laughable. Watch his Jr year tape. People probably mostly see this years lightlights where he was told to go down and not risk fumbles....because that's what teams were doing to him. Trying to strip him because they couldn't stop him.

Thanks, that confirms what I felt I saw when watching him. I tend to watch three or four Boise games per year just because they are a fun team. There were a few times last season that Ajayi caught the ball and immediately got leveled by a defender. The pass just led him into the hit, but he held on to the ball and popped back up. I did see him dancing more than I would like last season, but it seemed obvious to me that he did not think his O-line would have a hole for him. He was met in the backfield a fair amount last season.

I think a lot of the comments on these threads are from people just watching Youtube and not full games, because the games I saw the last few seasons he got dirty yards and hit holes when they were there. He was awesome in that Nevada game this past season. They sold out to stop him and it worked in the first half, but he kept at it and finally ran all over them in the second half.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Just watched his game vs. Colorado State, and I know the criticisms in this thread can't be coming from that game.

He consistently ran through arm tackles. When he got through the line, he knew how to make guys miss at the 2nd level. Looked like a natural receiver out of the backfield (though he did have one drop). Did a good job of stonewalling a blitzer in pass protection. Seemed to fall forward on the majority of his runs. He did have a tendency to bounce some runs outside, but I can't knock him for it because they resulted in huge gains. Plus as a team, our YPC the last two years have been very good when running on the edges.

OP it would help if you could point to specific games that you watched.

Because right now your posts come across as wildly inaccurate exaggerations.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Thanks, that confirms what I felt I saw when watching him. I tend to watch three or four Boise games per year just because they are a fun team. There were a few times last season that Ajayi caught the ball and immediately got leveled by a defender. The pass just led him into the hit, but he held on to the ball and popped back up. I did see him dancing more than I would like last season, but it seemed obvious to me that he did not think his O-line would have a hole for him. He was met in the backfield a fair amount last season.

I think a lot of the comments on these threads are from people just watching Youtube and not full games, because the games I saw the last few seasons he got dirty yards and hit holes when they were there. He was awesome in that Nevada game this past season. They sold out to stop him and it worked in the first half, but he kept at it and finally ran all over them in the second half.

Good observations.....

The thing that might have impressed me the most was his stamina. There was some games where he touched the ball 40 times and still was fighting for tough yards.

I worried all season he was gonna get hurt and we would have been screwed. I think he played through quite a bit of nicks and bruises....considering the # of touches he endured.

I'm not shocked people give him as little credit as he gets on this board since BSU caters to ESPN's Dog schlitz scheduling. There were a couple times last year games didn't get started until almost 11 pm East coast time. I can't imagine people staying up til 2AM to catch Boise St.:huh:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You gotta understand one thing- Ajayi was the BSU offense.....period.

I don't agree with this. Hedrick threw for 3700 yards last year. 70% completion percentage and 24 TDs. That's a pretty good season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Everybody on the draft shows loves him, Brugler was even saying in a trade back he would take him at 31.

That seems a little high for him, but I am no scout so who knows.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody on the draft shows loves him, Brugler was even saying in a trade back he would take him at 31.

That seems a little high for him, but I am no scout so who knows.

Tashard Choice liked him a lot too. I heard he wanted his autograph, even.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate the Yeldon pick esp in the third. Would be Demarco part 2. Very similar prospect to Murray when he was coming out. Similarly deep RB class.