Video: Jaylon Smith at practice yesterday

tm1119

Reaction score
Broaddus and Mickey Spag both seemed to think his participation is overblown on todays Talkin' Cowboys. They both said he's not doing as much as people think, he's still limited, and neither are sure he'll start the season on the active roster, despite what Jerry and Stephan say....was sort of a downer. I'm hoping they're wrong, but both of them saying it isn't a good sign.

Don't get me wrong, I'm skeptical myself, but the Cowboys sure seem confident in terms of how they are treating the roster. I would think that if there was any serious doubt that he wasn't going to start the season a vet LB would have been brought in by now...or at least I would hope.

robjay04

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm skeptical myself, but the Cowboys sure seem confident in terms of how they are treating the roster. I would think that if there was any serious doubt that he wasn't going to start the season a vet LB would have been brought in by now...or at least I would hope.

I agree but Justin Durant could be a contingency plan....if he doesn't retire.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I've moved on from Not Worth The Risk. To he's on our team hopefully he heals but was not worth the risk.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have no idea is the guy will ever play at his previous level, but you have much better eyes than me.

I actually had the same observation as Cashman. To my untrained eye, something looks a bit off in his movements. Now granted, i probably have no idea what i'm looking for and/or talking about. But i think this is why the Cowboys are controlling the situation as much as possible. You don't want local and national media over-analyzing Smith's every move and writing stories about it....yet.

I'm not concerned either way. Just hoping for the best. Training camp will be here soon enough and we'll then have all the answers we need.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Broaddus and Mickey Spag both seemed to think his participation is overblown on todays Talkin' Cowboys. They both said he's not doing as much as people think, he's still limited, and neither are sure he'll start the season on the active roster, despite what Jerry and Stephan say....was sort of a downer. I'm hoping they're wrong, but both of them saying it isn't a good sign.

BS

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll take Stephen Jones' word for it when he says of Jaylon, "where he sits today he is definitely going to be a big contributor for us."

Stephen doesn't BS like his daddy. He doesn't say things to stir up the TV ratings - he shoots straight.

If I'm wrong in believing him, that's fine. But I think Stephen knows what he's talking about way more than Broaddus or Mickey.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think everyone should be a little skeptical. As for myself I believe he will be able to play and contribute and by the end of the season be a factor on the D. It will take time.
however, by not drafting a LB, by not signing any LB's other than the usual UDFA's and what the team has been saying and their action say a lot. And I don't think it's them "hoping" he plays as well as the say he will. This FO is not that insane (though many think they are LOL) to put all of it on Jaylon.

However, as I said, I won't be critical of those that are more skeptical than others. As we won't get anything than we have until we see it on the field.

Also for those skeptics about his not being seen during practices, he is every other day. So the 2 days he is out there, just so happen to be the days that are not open to the media. Makes sense. He gets 2 days of practice, not one day just so the media can see him....no conspiracy there at all. Just happy he is getting 2 days.

TC a little over 6 weeks away, and we still have 2 days of OTA's, and 3 days of mini camp. After over a year of waiting for his recovery...another 6 weeks will be fine.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I don't expect Jaylon Smith to start the season with the Cowboys, hope I'm wrong but I still think he'll be placed on IR subject to recall during the season....he's still favoring his drop foot leg even in OTA's and he's not really cutting /stop/starting and certainly not hitting people....don't see him being able to play at this level in that kind of brace on his leg........ 2018 is where you'll see what and if Smith can return to his prior ability.....

Steven Jones - "where he sits today he is definitely going to be a big contributor for us." ........that statement may be true but Steven didn't say that it was going to be this year though......

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Broaddus has never liked the Smith pick because they chose him over his pet cat and Mickey just has an ego as big as Bryan's belly.

From listening to it, it sounded like Mickey talked to someone who said something but neither of those two have seen him practice. From the sounds of it though Smith is not participating in all of practice but who knows with that half-assed hearsay Spagnola gave us.

I did find it amusing that they are acting like Hitchens is the entrenched starter because of how they are lining up on Wednesdays during OTAs.

We might get to know something for minicamp but most likely we won't know what is what until TC. 6 weeks or so from now.
I can't stand Broaddus.

CashMan

Reaction score
I actually had the same observation as Cashman. To my untrained eye, something looks a bit off in his movements. Now granted, i probably have no idea what i'm looking for and/or talking about. But i think this is why the Cowboys are controlling the situation as much as possible. You don't want local and national media over-analyzing Smith's every move and writing stories about it....yet.

I'm not concerned either way. Just hoping for the best. Training camp will be here soon enough and we'll then have all the answers we need.

You can see, he is not making cuts. He is also kicking his feet up to not make those cuts. Also taking a few too many steps in his movements. He isn't close to being ready, imo. He looks injured or recovering and has no confidence in the healing.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I heard the same thing and got depressed about all the hype. I want to know the real scoop on this guy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

True True.... and I'll be at the part of training camp at the Star to see with my own eyes what the truth is about all these guys but I'm particularly concerned about Jaylon and Rico.

CashMan

Reaction score
To the people saying he is "favoring" the leg, they do understand he has a brace on it during practice right? He looks quick to me regardless of the uneven gait.
You can still favor a leg if it has a brace on it. He doesn't look to be cutting too much. Watch the beginning of the video.