Video: Jaylon Smith at practice yesterday

TheHerd

Reaction score
You can see, he is not making cuts. He is also kicking his feet up to not make those cuts. Also taking a few too many steps in his movements. He isn't close to being ready, imo. He looks injured or recovering and has no confidence in the healing.

I do see the general hesitation, but not a right vs. left difference. I attribute that to either (A) the docs/trainers telling him to keep everything in check and he's disciplined enough to do that, or (2) the normal process of not trusting a recovered injury for while. I am admittedly an uber optimist though, so you could be totally right about the cause.

No matter what we all think, soon enough the proof will be on the field.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
They're skeptical by nature, IMO. They don't get to interview Dr. Cooper, or even see Jaylon practice yet, so they are just guessing right now. I think most people will be skeptical as long as the drop foot persists until they see something different in training camp/the preseason.

They can't get on the field but they can see the practices from their office window at the Star. So I'm sure they've seen him on the sidelines for some drills.

But Jaylon did say he participated in 11 on 11 drills....that to me is the biggest hurdle..running around when things aren't rehearsed

bodi

Reaction score
ok Bleu star lets have play in an actual game before you announce him to the HOF

Jkyle

Reaction score
Has there ever been a player to play with "Drop Foot"?
I have serious doubts as to whether he can perform at an NFL level dealing with that condition.
He's a great story but if the DF remains, I don't see how he can be relied on.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
They have even put the pads on yet. The guy is coming off a serious injury, CBoy's aren't gonna go full throttle now. No need to. When training camp comes, then well know what he can or can't do.
Exactly. I don't know why this concept is so hard to understand.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Don't believe everything a person tells you, including the media.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus and Mickey Spag both seemed to think his participation is overblown on todays Talkin' Cowboys. They both said he's not doing as much as people think, he's still limited, and neither are sure he'll start the season on the active roster, despite what Jerry and Stephan say....was sort of a downer. I'm hoping they're wrong, but both of them saying it isn't a good sign.

Those two have been drastically wrong many times in the past. Probably wrong more often than not.

The media, including the Cowboys own media people, are not allowed to watch the OTA practices.

Garrett is always conservative with players in OTAs that are returning from injury.

sideon

Reaction score
Has there ever been a player to play with "Drop Foot"?
I have serious doubts as to whether he can perform at an NFL level dealing with that condition.
He's a great story but if the DF remains, I don't see how he can be relied on.
Yes, Robert Edwards a former RB had it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus has never liked the Smith pick because they chose him over his pet cat and Mickey just has an ego as big as Bryan's belly.

From listening to it, it sounded like Mickey talked to someone who said something but neither of those two have seen him practice. From the sounds of it though Smith is not participating in all of practice but who knows with that half-assed hearsay Spagnola gave us.

I did find it amusing that they are acting like Hitchens is the entrenched starter because of how they are lining up on Wednesdays during OTAs.

We might get to know something for minicamp but most likely we won't know what is what until TC. 6 weeks or so from now.

Broaddus wents nuts that they didn't draft Myles Jack.

At least Mickey's ego is only as big as BB's belly and not as big as BB's head.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why can't fans seem to ever just wait and see what happens? Jaylon's got an unusual circumstance. There's not enough evidence to say yet whether he'll be an impact player or not. All we know is that the team says he'll play this year. As far as I'm concerned, that's good news and we'll just see what happens when the season starts. We've got a decent fill-in starter in Hitchens anyway, and young players we like in the LB corps apart from Jaylon. If Jaylon becomes another impact player from that draft, fantastic. If not, we'll get the talent someplace else and have to pay for it.

For the record, I don't agree that the hype for Gathers is getting exaggerated. He hasn't done anything in this league yet, but too many players are saying too many good things about his progress, his effort, and his natural ability. It's like when Tony was talking about Myles Austin for a year or so before he became a starter. Gathers is going to be a starter in Dallas at some point pretty soon here.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why can't fans seem to ever just wait and see what happens? Jaylon's got an unusual circumstance. There's not enough evidence to say yet whether he'll be an impact player or not. All we know is that the team says he'll play this year. As far as I'm concerned, that's good news and we'll just see what happens when the season starts. We've got a decent fill-in starter in Hitchens anyway, and young players we like in the LB corps apart from Jaylon. If Jaylon becomes another impact player from that draft, fantastic. If not, we'll get the talent someplace else and have to pay for it.

For the record, I don't agree that the hype for Gathers is getting exaggerated. He hasn't done anything in this league yet, but too many players are saying too many good things about his progress, his effort, and his natural ability. It's like when Tony was talking about Myles Austin for a year or so before he became a starter. Gathers is going to be a starter in Dallas at some point pretty soon here.

Most people cannot handle ambiguity or uncertainty or at least just cannot accept it for what it is. It's why it's so easy to boondoggle people with feigned confidence and why declarations are so comforting for so many. They prefer the illusion of certainty to surety of doubt.

Take that with a fixation on dirty laundry and negativity and you get what you get.

CashMan

Reaction score
I did watch it. He doesn't appear limping to me. He appears to have an uneven gait. Dropfoot doesn't make you limp, btw. It makes you walk knee high or swing. Not limp. He has the brace on anyway.
Watch how he is kicking his feet up and back. He is trying not to plant and cut.