Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He has played in 60 of a possible 96 regular season games in his career.

He's missed 36 regular season games including an entire season and he's missed 2 playoff games. He's missed parts of other games with injuries. He's been more injury plagued than anyone ever feared.

fortdick

Reaction score
I must have missed something. Do we hate Sean Lee now? I was just reading Chaz Green is a sissy because he had a cramp. I know we hate Romo because he has broken his collarbone three times and barely sucked it up throughout that whole punctured lung thing.

Are our expectations a little too unrealistic?

But it is okay, we don't hate the guys that are suspended.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I must have missed something. Do we hate Sean Lee now? I was just reading Chaz Green is a sissy because he had a cramp. I know we hate Romo because he has broken his collarbone three times and barely sucked it up throughout that whole punctured lung thing.

Are our expectations a little too unrealistic?

But it is okay, we don't hate the guys that are suspended.

I hear you, lol. Remember when Romo had a lacerated liver and passed out after the game.. what wuss. Witten missing a game with a broken jaw... what a sissy!. Yes I'm being facetious... we have tough guys on this team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yes it is true and nothing you've posted has proven it not to be true. The Cowboys need a player right away just look at their defense. They can't afford to be waiting at least a year to see if and when a nerve regenerates in a players knee. Picking at #36 can land an immediate starter which is what this team needed with all the defensive holes they have.

Good teams that have solid defenses can afford to wait but not a 4-12 team that has a 36 year old injury prone QB who's clock is ticking down. We need to try and win now while we still have Romo because once he's done it's going to open up a whole new set of problems unless we find his successor in the next couple of years.

I feel they did everything before picking Jaylon. Example they tried trading up to get Paxton Lynch. ...didn't work, they was going to draft Ogbah....didn't work, they were looking at Dodd....didn't work.

While I agree defense needs more talent I believe they tried a few times but it didn't fall the way they wanted to do we stuck to the board and grabbed a top talent in Smith. His nerve is already healing by the way and talks he might even play some this season.

Plus it didn't matter 1 rookie wasn't going to be the difference in 4-12 or 12-4. 1 rookie isn't going to win a superbowl.

Let's say we took Alexander CB instead of Jaylon. ....he would be 4th on the depth chart. Any DE or DT would have been backup/rotational guy.

Can't change it and I believe we did right by drafting Jaylon. Just watch this kid when he is back. ...and make no doubt he will be back

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Was not worth the risk.

He was well worth the risk and you can feel free to join us behind him once that nerve starts refiring. The knee is healed and the dude is a certified game changer. Well leave a seat open for you on the JSmith caboose.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I feel they did everything before picking Jaylon. Example they tried trading up to get Paxton Lynch. ...didn't work, they was going to draft Ogbah....didn't work, they were looking at Dodd....didn't work.

While I agree defense needs more talent I believe they tried a few times but it didn't fall the way they wanted to do we stuck to the board and grabbed a top talent in Smith. His nerve is already healing by the way and talks he might even play some this season.

Plus it didn't matter 1 rookie wasn't going to be the difference in 4-12 or 12-4. 1 rookie isn't going to win a superbowl.

Let's say we took Alexander CB instead of Jaylon. ....he would be 4th on the depth chart. Any DE or DT would have been backup/rotational guy.

Can't change it and I believe we did right by drafting Jaylon. Just watch this kid when he is back. ...and make no doubt he will be back

Without getting into whether Jaylon will recover and how good will he be argument, if we ran out of options at the pick, I'd have liked to see a trade down and selection of Deion Jones. That kind of speed at LB would be fantastic.

Reminds me a little bit of Telvin Smith, who the Cowboys should have drafted in 2014 over Anthony Hitchens. Smith is killing it on the Jags D.

The Jags are quietly putting together one of the best defenses in the NFL, and they just added Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and got back Dante Fowler.

If their offense catches up, they're going to do some things.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
He was well worth the risk and you can feel free to join us behind him once that nerve starts refiring. The knee is healed and the dude is a certified game changer. Well leave a seat open for you on the JSmith caboose.

Will gladly join. Just stating my opinion on the subject as it stands now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hear you, lol. Remember when Romo had a lacerated liver and passed out after the game.. what wuss. Witten missing a game with a broken jaw... what a sissy!. Yes I'm being facetious... we have tough guys on this team.

I hope Jaylon turns out to be a tough guy too.

Common Sense

Reaction score
His doctor said he will have a 10 year career. .....do you know more then his doctor

You literally read a third- or fourth-hand quote that said that, so I'm not sure what the point of even debating it would be. No one knows if he'll have a 10-second career, much less a 10-year career.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
He wears a special device to compensate for his drop foot - he currently has no control of lowering/raising his foot. That's the issue being madly discussed, whether the nerves that allow him to control his foot will heal, and if so, when.

Actually, he has a peroneal nerve palsy, which disables dorsiflexion; plantar flexion is intact.

Therefore, pushing-off strength and motion is intact.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Actually, he has a peroneal nerve palsy, which disables dorsiflexion; plantar flexion is intact.

Therefore, pushing-off strength and motion is intact.

So he can lower his foot but not raise it?

Vero_F250

Reaction score
What second round pick ever really starts and makes an impact his rookie season? Let the dude get back to 100%. Just glad they didn't draft a TE this year.

Oh no. You didn't see? They did draft a TE this year. Probably missed it since his draft highlight video was all basketball...lol.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Makes sense.

Really, I think that is something that a lot of people either don't know or overlook when they're talking about his injury. Many think, IMO, that his whole lower leg is pretty much disabled, but it isn't. It is just the muscle that raises the foot that isn't working properly.

He can push off on that leg as good as ever. That is how we hear reports that he is squatting 400 lbs. and doing some of the drills that we see vine's of.

Now, it definitely is still an issue to have drop foot, of course... but all the explosion and push off on that leg is there.

He just needs to get where he can raise that foot and we'll be golden.