Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I feel they did everything before picking Jaylon. Example they tried trading up to get Paxton Lynch. ...didn't work, they was going to draft Ogbah....didn't work, they were looking at Dodd....didn't work.

While I agree defense needs more talent I believe they tried a few times but it didn't fall the way they wanted to do we stuck to the board and grabbed a top talent in Smith. His nerve is already healing by the way and talks he might even play some this season.

Plus it didn't matter 1 rookie wasn't going to be the difference in 4-12 or 12-4. 1 rookie isn't going to win a superbowl.

Let's say we took Alexander CB instead of Jaylon. ....he would be 4th on the depth chart. Any DE or DT would have been backup/rotational guy.

Can't change it and I believe we did right by drafting Jaylon. Just watch this kid when he is back. ...and make no doubt he will be back

The Cowboys did what they've been doing with several of their 2nd round picks over the past few years taking gambles on players that have fallen out of the first round due to injuries. What they were offering for Lynch would have been an even dumber move giving up a #1, #2 and a #3 for a backup QB with all the defensive needs they have. Drafting injured players hasn't worked out for the Cowboys. Even Claiborne had an injury when we drafted him and his career has been plagued by them. Smith's nerve may be healing but there's no guarantee he'll be the same player he was prior to that injury. If there was any guarantee he would be the same player someone would have taken him in the first round. Teams passed him up because he may never be the same. When you're talking about nerves firing and regenerating in a players knee you're taking a huge gamble.

There's only been one elite college player I can think of that fell in the draft due to a serious knee injury and recovered to be a solid NFL player and that was Willis McGahee. These gambles we've taken with injured defensive players is part of the reason our defense never improves. Once you get past Lee and the "potential" Jones may have the rest of the players are average. On offense although we've thrown #2's away on TEs we haven't drafted injured players and it's helped us build a solid offense provided Romo is on the field. We haven't drafted anyone on the OL with our top picks that have fallen in the draft due to injury, they've been healthy players who've developed into very solid players. It's been the safe, intelligent picks that have turned out while the picks we've gambled on have failed except for Dez. Most of the players we've drafted that had an injury history it's followed them to the NFL.

We've been smart with most of our first picks but have thrown caution to the wind with our 2nd round picks. I doubt you'll find a team in the league that's drafted worse in the 2nd round than the Cowboys over the past decade or so. Just go through the list of 2nd round busts for this team over the past 10+ years. Teams have come up with some great players in the 2nd round but you have to be smart and gambling year after year on TEs to play behind Witten, injured players and drug addicts isn't being smart. As for talk that Smith could play this year that's all coming from Jerry. Everyone else including Stephen said he won't be playing this year. It's all about selling tickets for Jerry and keeping fans hopeful which is the main reason he's keeping a spot open for Smith. Not closing the door on him this season keeps fans interested. If the season goes to pot he wants fans to still have the hope they'll get to see Smith play. It would be foolish to play Smith in meaningless games but if it will sell some tickets Jerry might put him on the field.

erod

Reaction score
There's only been one elite college player I can think of that fell in the draft due to a serious knee injury and recovered to be a solid NFL player and that was Willis McGahee.

McGahee's injury was far worse. Jaylon's knee is actually fine. From a ligament perspective, it wasn't really that big of a deal. It would be fully ready for camp.

This is simply a waiting game on that nerve. The doctors seem to think it will return. I do, too.

I once had nerve damage in my toe due to frostbite. Took about a year to heal. Couldn't feel a thing in it, and then one day, I could.

fortdick

Reaction score
I don't think bringing up Sean Lee's injuries mean you "hate him". He has missed a lot of games; Over two full regular seasons. That matters.

Have you read the posts? That is hate in my opinion.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Without getting into whether Jaylon will recover and how good will he be argument, if we ran out of options at the pick, I'd have liked to see a trade down and selection of Deion Jones. That kind of speed at LB would be fantastic.

Reminds me a little bit of Telvin Smith, who the Cowboys should have drafted in 2014 over Anthony Hitchens. Smith is killing it on the Jags D.

The Jags are quietly putting together one of the best defenses in the NFL, and they just added Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and got back Dante Fowler.

If their offense catches up, they're going to do some things.

Maybe they tried to trade down, maybe Jaylon was too great if value. All we can do is go with who we got.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McGahee's injury was far worse. Jaylon's knee is actually fine. From a ligament perspective, it wasn't really that big of a deal. It would be fully ready for camp.

This is simply a waiting game on that nerve. The doctors seem to think it will return. I do, too.

I once had nerve damage in my toe due to frostbite. Took about a year to heal. Couldn't feel a thing in it, and then one day, I could.

If Smith's knee is fine then how come he fell from a potential top 5 pick into the 2nd round? If it was just a waiting game and it was guaranteed he would return to form someone would have taken him in the first round. No one minds waiting on a player if they know for certain they'll return to form after a serious injury. The doctors "seem" to think it will return but there's no guarantees it will or that he will become a great NFL player even if it does return. Your toe and his situation are different. Some people could suffer what you did and never regain feeling in their toe.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You literally read a third- or fourth-hand quote that said that, so I'm not sure what the point of even debating it would be. No one knows if he'll have a 10-second career, much less a 10-year career.

Have you seen his files? Know more then the doctor that did the surgery? Sure no one knows anything but a doctor went to school and has the best idea when it comes to medical issues. Sure Jaylon could have a career ending injury next year but that's not what he is saying. He is saying that the injury he has now will not cause him to miss football

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The Cowboys did what they've been doing with several of their 2nd round picks over the past few years taking gambles on players that have fallen out of the first round due to injuries. What they were offering for Lynch would have been an even dumber move giving up a #1, #2 and a #3 for a backup QB with all the defensive needs they have. Drafting injured players hasn't worked out for the Cowboys. Even Claiborne had an injury when we drafted him and his career has been plagued by them. Smith's nerve may be healing but there's no guarantee he'll be the same player he was prior to that injury. If there was any guarantee he would be the same player someone would have taken him in the first round. Teams passed him up because he may never be the same. When you're talking about nerves firing and regenerating in a players knee you're taking a huge gamble.

There's only been one elite college player I can think of that fell in the draft due to a serious knee injury and recovered to be a solid NFL player and that was Willis McGahee. These gambles we've taken with injured defensive players is part of the reason our defense never improves. Once you get past Lee and the "potential" Jones may have the rest of the players are average. On offense although we've thrown #2's away on TEs we haven't drafted injured players and it's helped us build a solid offense provided Romo is on the field. We haven't drafted anyone on the OL with our top picks that have fallen in the draft due to injury, they've been healthy players who've developed into very solid players. It's been the safe, intelligent picks that have turned out while the picks we've gambled on have failed except for Dez. Most of the players we've drafted that had an injury history it's followed them to the NFL.

We've been smart with most of our first picks but have thrown caution to the wind with our 2nd round picks. I doubt you'll find a team in the league that's drafted worse in the 2nd round than the Cowboys over the past decade or so. Just go through the list of 2nd round busts for this team over the past 10+ years. Teams have come up with some great players in the 2nd round but you have to be smart and gambling year after year on TEs to play behind Witten, injured players and drug addicts isn't being smart. As for talk that Smith could play this year that's all coming from Jerry. Everyone else including Stephen said he won't be playing this year. It's all about selling tickets for Jerry and keeping fans hopeful which is the main reason he's keeping a spot open for Smith. Not closing the door on him this season keeps fans interested. If the season goes to pot he wants fans to still have the hope they'll get to see Smith play. It would be foolish to play Smith in meaningless games but if it will sell some tickets Jerry might put him on the field.

Going by your opinion why draft any player cause it's a gamble that they produce the same at the pro level. His knee is fine and the nerve is healing. Jack is way more a question then Jaylon and went the pick after. Escobar, Dlaw, Gregory had no injures coming into the league so you must be talking about Bruce Carter and Sean Lee.......ya I see how we always draft injuried players in the 2nd round

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be foolish to play Smith in meaningless games but if it will sell some tickets Jerry might put him on the field.

All the Cowboys games will be sellouts no matter what we do with Smith.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Have you seen his files? Know more then the doctor that did the surgery? Sure no one knows anything but a doctor went to school and has the best idea when it comes to medical issues. Sure Jaylon could have a career ending injury next year but that's not what he is saying. He is saying that the injury he has now will not cause him to miss football

You don't know what he actually said because everything you've heard about it has come straight from the Cowboys PR machine. The medical consensus is that there is no way to predict whether there will be full or even partial nerve regeneration following that type of damage.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
If Smith's knee is fine then how come he fell from a potential top 5 pick into the 2nd round? If it was just a waiting game and it was guaranteed he would return to form someone would have taken him in the first round. No one minds waiting on a player if they know for certain they'll return to form after a serious injury. The doctors "seem" to think it will return but there's no guarantees it will or that he will become a great NFL player even if it does return. Your toe and his situation are different. Some people could suffer what you did and never regain feeling in their toe.

The reason for him dropping in the draft is more about the nerve than the knee. The knee seems like a non issue. The nerve is another story.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All the Cowboys games will be sellouts no matter what we do with Smith.

Of course it's Jerry's World but I did notice some empty seats during the season finale vs Washington with no Dez and Romo on the field. It was pointed out by someone during the game chat. At some point the luster of the stadium will wear off and it's going to take a better product on the field to keep filling it up late in the season if we're just playing out the schedule.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course it's Jerry's World but I did notice some empty seats during the season finale vs Washington with no Dez and Romo on the field. It was pointed out by someone during the game chat. At some point the luster of the stadium will wear off and it's going to take a better product on the field to keep filling it up late in the season if we're just playing out the schedule.

Those seats will be bought. Jerry will get his money. Wether or not there are butts in them is a different matter but don't fool yourself - those seats were paid for.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Going by your opinion why draft any player cause it's a gamble that they produce the same at the pro level. His knee is fine and the nerve is healing. Jack is way more a question then Jaylon and went the pick after. Escobar, Dlaw, Gregory had no injures coming into the league so you must be talking about Bruce Carter and Sean Lee.......ya I see how we always draft injuried players in the 2nd round

I said all players are a gamble even healthy players but has drafting an injured player ever paid off for the Cowboys? Lee hasn't paid off he's missed 38 games counting the playoffs and has missed some critical Dec games. He hasn't made our defense any better and the best season we've had since he arrived he didn't play a single down. Jacksonville is a team that hasn't won more than 5 games since 2011 and they gambled on Miles Jack. Maybe taking gambles on players like Justin Blackmon and Matt Jones is why they never win. You don't see good teams using high picks on injured players or players with off the field issues. I never said all we draft is injured players with our 2nd round picks that's your spin.

I said we've designated our 2nd round picks for TEs we can't use, injured players and drug addicts. We drafted Escobar with a #2 pick to sit behind Witten like the other two 2nd round TEs we drafted. Call repeating the same mistake 3 times with a premium pick smart drafting? The Cowboys drafted Gregory a pot head with a 2nd round pick so they could waste their time trying to rehab him. There's been issues with most of our 2nd round picks the past decade. We currently have two of them that play a position of great need on this team that are serving a 4 game suspension.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It was so far beyond worth the risk it's not funny!!! He will start next year and be the best LB in football within 3-4 years, mark it down!

I was not sold before but your exclamation marks definitely sold me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those seats will be bought. Jerry will get his money. Wether or not there are butts in them is a different matter but don't fool yourself - those seats were paid for.

They're paid for but it doesn't make Jerry look good seeing them empty. At some point he may have to buy them if he suffers through anymore 4-12 seasons. Maybe he can just give them away to fill them up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The reason for him dropping in the draft is more about the nerve than the knee. The knee seems like a non issue. The nerve is another story.

That's what makes him a huge risk.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You don't know what he actually said because everything you've heard about it has come straight from the Cowboys PR machine. The medical consensus is that there is no way to predict whether there will be full or even partial nerve regeneration following that type of damage.

Believe what you want. ....doctor

Doomsday101

Reaction score

The reports that matter are from the doctor who performed the procedure. He seems to think Smith will return to full strength

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The prediction is in terms of probabilities not that they don't know anything about how things will work out. There are also things that you can do to improve chances of recovery like preventing atrophy and scar tissue. People want certainty and are terrified of ambiguity but it is what it is. That his doctor is bullish is very encouraging to me.