Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If it was a matter of "when" I believe someone would have taken him in the first round. It's the matter "if' that had him fall to the 2nd round.

Well I mean if the guy isn't playing season 1 then I think that's good enough reason not to be taken in the first round. I can justify it in the 2nd round. But I can't in the first round.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
What second round pick ever really starts and makes an impact his rookie season? Let the dude get back to 100%. Just glad they didn't draft a TE this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well I mean if the guy isn't playing season 1 then I think that's good enough reason not to be taken in the first round. I can justify it in the 2nd round. But I can't in the first round.

I don't think it was justifiable in the 2nd round it was a high 2nd round pick and the Cowboys need immediate defensive help. They can't be waiting around for a season or 2 to see if a nerve is going to fire in a players knee. With the lack of talent we have defensively we're in no position to be taking huge risks on injured players with a premium pick. We should have played it safe and drafted a healthy player who could play this year. Smith may never play at a high level due to that injury and that's too big a risk for a mediocre at best defensive team to take.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I don't think it was justifiable in the 2nd round it was a high 2nd round pick and the Cowboys need immediate defensive help. They can't be waiting around for a season or 2 to see if a nerve is going to fire in a players knee. With the lack of talent we have defensively we're in no position to be taking huge risks on injured players with a premium pick. We should have played it safe and drafted a healthy player who could play this year. Smith may never play at a high level due to that injury and that's too big a risk for a mediocre at best defensive team to take.

Is it possible the Smith choice was an indictment of the talent level available? Maybe they didn't think as highly of the defensive help as the "analysts" did. Look where Robinson, Reed and Ragland fell. Not to mention Spence. How about Andrew Billings? Touted as a round 1 pick and fell to the middle of the 4th. You had two guards and two safeties taken in the first that weren't as highly ranked by said "analysts" as the aforementioned group.

The lesson to me in this draft is that the guys writing articles and doing talk/tv shows are on the outside looking in .... just like you and me.

Bigdog

Reaction score
You mitigate risk. This country was built by hard working people that knew how to play probabilities. Not gamblers ignoring high risk in a boom or bust scenario.

True but there are several people who took great risks to make this country great. Ford, Carneige Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Edison, and today, Gates, Cuban. Granted some of these people mentioned made their money off of the backs of the working class but they also took great risks with their companies to achieve great wealth. Yeah I watched the History Channel, The Men Who Built America. As they say with great rewards come great risks. IMO, I thought drafting Smith was worth it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is it possible the Smith choice was an indictment of the talent level available? Maybe they didn't think as highly of the defensive help as the "analysts" did. Look where Robinson, Reed and Ragland fell. Not to mention Spence. How about Andrew Billings? Touted as a round 1 pick and fell to the middle of the 4th. You had two guards and two safeties taken in the first that weren't as highly ranked by said "analysts" as the aforementioned group.

The lesson to me in this draft is that the guys writing articles and doing talk/tv shows are on the outside looking in .... just like you and me.

Any player you draft is a gamble even a healthy one but if I have a defense that's mediocre at best and is starved for talent I'm taking the best healthy defensive player available. Even the people who are paid to grade talent miss on players the draft is a crapshoot. If you could point to some highly touted injured college football players who fell in the draft due to injury that became great NFL players I wouldn't have as much of an issue taking a player like Smith. But the only highly touted college football player I can think of that was a projected top 5 pick who fell in the draft due to a serious knee injury that became a good player was Willis Mcgahee. The Cowboys keep gambling #2 picks and it's yet to pay off.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Any player you draft is a gamble even a healthy one but if I have a defense that's mediocre at best and is starved for talent I'm taking the best healthy defensive player available. Even the people who are paid to grade talent miss on players the draft is a crapshoot. If you could point to some highly touted injured college football players who fell in the draft due to injury that became great NFL players I wouldn't have as much of an issue taking a player like Smith. But the only highly touted college football player I can think of that was a projected top 5 pick who fell in the draft due to a serious knee injury that became a good player was Willis Mcgahee. The Cowboys keep gambling #2 picks and it's yet to pay off.

Understand your frustration, but have a hard time believing the pick was forced on Marinelli. They ended up taking Collins and Tapper with the next two picks, so its obvious they felt like they needed help on the defensive front. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think they believed there enough of a difference between them and the guys picked ahead of them to warrant foregoing the chance to draft a potential star.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanx for making my point

You have "had to correct people" exactly because you offer your opinion as that of someone competent to offer it (with your usual self important bluster) when nothing could be further from the truth than that

Speak for yourself.

You are 'correcting me' right now. Introspection is hard. These complaints of me trying to 'talk smart' simply place you. I won't apologize that I can articulate.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Not from what his doctor said. I think his fictitious would know much more about his situation then forum members

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't even know what point you're trying to make. I just said both guys have red flags.

I don't care or mind what your preference is, I care that you're spreading false news about one guy to prop up another guy.

The choice has been made by both teams, now we wait and see. I have far more invested in Jaylon's foot than Myles' knee.

So you're saying that I'm lying about Poppinga? Thanks.

Fact is that the UCLA doctor 'cleared' him in March and he participated in not a single draft workout. Even if I am lying, which I am not, your conclusion is not found from your line of reasoning. The jaguars still haven't said anything either.

You a UCLA fan or something?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Understand your frustration, but have a hard time believing the pick was forced on Marinelli. They ended up taking Collins and Tapper with the next two picks, so its obvious they felt like they needed help on the defensive front. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think they believed there enough of a difference between them and the guys picked ahead of them to warrant foregoing the chance to draft a potential star.

I never said the pick was forced on Marinelli i'm sure he was on board with it. I just find it hard to believe they couldn't find a healthy defensive player at #36 they wouldn't have been happy with.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
What people are forgetting is Dallas wanted Ogbah with 2nd round pick but was drafted. They stayed with their board and went Jaylon. ....I have no problem with that. His doctor says he will have full recovery and a 10 year career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not from what his doctor said. I think his fictitious would know much more about his situation then forum members

Doctors have their opinions and they're not always accurate which is why people consult with other doctors for a second opinion. There's been many occasions where there's been conflicting views by medical experts. There's players who've been told told they'll never play again after a serious injury only to return better than ever. If what Smith's doctor said was guaranteed someone would have taken him in the first round. He fell to the second round because there's no guarantee, he carries a risk.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Doctors have their opinions and they're not always accurate which is why people consult with other doctors for a second opinion. There's players who been told told they'll never play again after a serious injury only to return better than ever. If what Smith's doctor said was guaranteed someone would have taken him in the first round. He fell to the second round because there's no guarantee he carries a risk.

That's not true. Some teams need a player right away and can't wait for a year to heal when taking players in the first round. 2nd and later you can take a player you might need to wait a year or so on

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's not true. Some teams need a player right away and can't wait for a year to heal when taking players in the first round. 2nd and later you can take a player you might need to wait a year or so on

Yes it is true and nothing you've posted has proven it not to be true. The Cowboys need a player right away just look at their defense. They can't afford to be waiting at least a year to see if and when a nerve regenerates in a players knee. Picking at #36 can land an immediate starter which is what this team needed with all the defensive holes they have.

Good teams that have solid defenses can afford to wait but not a 4-12 team that has a 36 year old injury prone QB who's clock is ticking down. We need to try and win now while we still have Romo because once he's done it's going to open up a whole new set of problems unless we find his successor in the next couple of years.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
So you want to watch YouTube to scout him over what all the professional scouts that do that for a living has said. I am absolutely LMAO at that statement!

Come on, you're trying to be an internet tough guy, be nice to this old guy that just wants to learn for himself :). I am asking what makes so many people think he's special that are fans and don't have access to professional tape or all 22 film. You know that's exactly what I meant and you know it Philly.

So do you have a link, or are you just saying trust the professionals? If so, that's a topic for another day.

I'm fine either way, but it's odd that 22 tape has floated around for other players and from what little I saw during the draft I wasn't exactly over the top impressed, but hey I'm just a fan.

What I do know is that he's well spoken, and from what I've heard he's very smart on and off the field, so I wish him nothing but the best. It would be nice if he could get on the field and Lee and others could stay healthy. This is one of the best examples of risk/reward I've seen in awhile.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
This is one of the best debates I've read in a while, thank you guys.

so basically the TLDR:

Jaylon smith is a high risk/ high reward player that the Cowboys shouldn't have gambled on because we have holes to fill now and should try to win now.

Jaylon smith was a first round player pre injury and he can be a cornerstone player for a long time and is worth the risk to be taken in the 2nd round because he is for the future to win later.

visionary

Reaction score
Speak for yourself.

You are 'correcting me' right now. Introspection is hard. These complaints of me trying to 'talk smart' simply place you. I won't apologize that I can articulate.

Lol
Once again trying to deflect
This is not about articulation, this is about competency
A Google search does not allow you to categorically state what the chances of recovery are for Smith when you are not a doctor (let alone an orthopedic surgeon) and have no access to his records

If you can show me a statement by Dr Cooper that "there is a 50-50 chance" that smith will play this year then I will accept it, otherwise you are just blowing hot air to try and look intelligent

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So you're saying that I'm lying about Poppinga? Thanks.

Fact is that the UCLA doctor 'cleared' him in March and he participated in not a single draft workout. Even if I am lying, which I am not, your conclusion is not found from your line of reasoning. The jaguars still haven't said anything either.

You a UCLA fan or something?

Now you're getting annoying. I said you were spreading false news, because the news is false. He was not missing from camp due to injury. I did not call you a liar, and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I did.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Now you're getting annoying. I said you were spreading false news, because the news is false. He was not missing from camp due to injury. I did not call you a liar, and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I did.

Like I said, Poppinga stated that he was going to be limited in practice. That is what I said not that he was missing practice. That isn't false news even if you don't like it. Maybe you should try harder at reading and you will be less annoyed.