Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Facts can make your head spin.

When you count the 36 regular-season games he's missed along with the 2 playoff games and all the other games he's had to go out of due to injury he's spent practically half his career injured. That's the point I'm trying to make. The facts are he's missed a lot of games, more than anyone could have imagined.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is one of the best debates I've read in a while, thank you guys.

so basically the TLDR:

Jaylon smith is a high risk/ high reward player that the Cowboys shouldn't have gambled on because we have holes to fill now and should try to win now.

Jaylon smith was a first round player pre injury and he can be a cornerstone player for a long time and is worth the risk to be taken in the 2nd round because he is for the future to win later.

Pretty close, But I think you missed the sensible middle ground the majority of posters here are thinking. Pre-draft reports placed the chances of Smith EVER playing another down of football as low as 20%, so picking a player who will never play a down 4 out of 5 times was seen as a bad gamble. Post draft, stories came out that raised the odds significantly, and many fans chose to take a wait and see approach.

So it's actually BOTH scenarios you presented, only separated by a few days worth of severely conflicting information that was provided.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He won't and we won't.

He'll never have to because he has a stadium that he can fill regardless how the Cowboys are playing. If the team were to go through a miseable QB situation after Romo is gone Jerry may have trouble keeping his palace filled. The only way another 4-12 happens is if Romo goes down early again and the defense remains mediocre. Our backup QB situation looks shakier now than it did last year at this time and we're going to have to figure out a way to find a pass rush especially the first four weeks.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Believe what you want. ....doctor

I like how the term "doctor" is now thrown around as a pejorative term for people who disagree by those who have emphatically declared an absolute full recovery prognosis of their own.

I've had a sore neck for a while. You want to diagnose that and tell me I'll for sure be fine by the 2017 training camp, or do you want to go ahead and admit that you're just pompously parroting third-hand rumors and speculation?

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Why is that? Jaylon is the better prospect, not only that once Jaylon heals he can play with no issues......Jack on the other hand could go at any time. Situation like Leary, you just never know. Jack is more risk then Jaylon

Do me a favor. Take your foot and sit on it. Now wait 15-20 minutes till it is asleep. Now try to walk to the fridge. That is basically what he feels in his foot and it doesn't go away after 30 seconds and may never go away.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I like how the term "doctor" is now thrown around as a pejorative term for people who disagree by those who have emphatically declared an absolute full recovery prognosis of their own.

I've had a sore neck for a while. You want to diagnose that and tell me I'll for sure be fine by the 2017 training camp, or do you want to go ahead and admit that you're just pompously parroting third-hand rumors and speculation?

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you what to do. I'm not saying what I think I'm going off of what a doctor said. While doctors aren't right all the time I beer they are right more so then guys behind a computer screen they haven't even seen the medical reports.

Be negative all you want it's your choice. ...just don't see why people cheer for a team if they feel that team sucks all the time and never makes the right choice. Carry on

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Do me a favor. Take your foot and sit on it. Now wait 15-20 minutes till it is asleep. Now try to walk to the fridge. That is basically what he feels in his foot and it doesn't go away after 30 seconds and may never go away.

And that means what? Have you seen his medical reports? Is it not possible that Jaylon heals 100 percent. ...like his doctor says. ...or only your opinion is correct

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure this isn't even close to being correct. His peronial nerve damage affects dorsiflexion. Movement up from the toes.

dorsiflexion

movement at the ankle joint that points the foot up towards the leg, or movement of the toes that lifts them away from the sole of the foot

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR330Ee6axP2OaOBW_x6jgbKGXWt79muFKvGSxBnxYciDQ0jN38

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Considering Moore outplayed Weeds and Cassell that is a pretty bold statement.

You're the one making a pretty bold statement, how do you figure Moore outplayed Weeden and Cassel? Moore was 0-2 as the starter and neither game he started was close. He had a 4 to 6 TD to turnover ratio and completed less than 59% of his passes. He had a passer rating of 71.0. Statistically Weeden was much better than Moore.

He completed almost 73% of his passes and had just under a 93.0 passer rating and you think Moore outplayed him? Cassel and Weeden won over 30 games between them and if the Cowboys enter the 2016 season with Moore and Dak, Romo will be the only QB on the roster that's won an NFL game. How comfortable would you be with that?

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're the one making a pretty bold statement, how do you figure Moore outplayed Weeden and Cassel? Moore was 0-2 as the starter and neither game he started was close. He had a 4 to 6 TD to turnover ratio and completed less than 59% of his passes. He had a passer rating of 71.0. Statistically Weeden was much better than Moore.

He completed almost 73% of his passes and had just under a 93.0 passer rating and you think Moore outplayed him? Cassel and Weeden won over 30 games between them and if the Cowboys enter the 2016 season with Moore and Dak, Romo will be the only QB on the roster that's won an NFL game. How comfortable would you be with that?

Weeden and Cassel have played in more games then Moore as well. Those were his only 2 starts period, basically a rookie and yet he actually moved the offense and could change plays to beat a blitz.

Weeden and Cassel could barely make it to the 50 yard line. Moore made some mistakes but so does any QB in their first 2 starts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Weeden and Cassel have played in more games then Moore as well. Those were his only 2 starts period, basically a rookie and yet he actually moved the offense and could change plays to beat a blitz.

Weeden and Cassel could barely make it to the 50 yard line. Moore made some mistakes but so does any QB in their first 2 starts.

Moore started in games that were meaningless to the Cowboys and their opponents. He has little experience and hasn't won an NFL game. What odds would you place on him keeping the Cowboys afloat if Romo were to go down early in the season again?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Moore started in games that were meaningless to the Cowboys and their opponents. He has little experience and hasn't won an NFL game. What odds would you place on him keeping the Cowboys afloat if Romo were to go down early in the season again?

I bet you anything those games were just meaningless for Moore. I actually think he can be a decent backup especially talking all the reps in an entire offseason with the Cowboys. He didn't have that luxury last year and was used due to needing a QB. I don't care how good of an evaluator people think they are in 2 games can not tell how a player will be in his career and we will not know about Moore until he gets more experience.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score

I agree Dallas was in full tank mode.. But at least Moore looked downfield. I'd like to see what he can do with Dez and a running game..

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
no need to worry about this until this time next year. Forget about him for now.