Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I bet you anything those games were just meaningless for Moore. I actually think he can be a decent backup especially talking all the reps in an entire offseason with the Cowboys. He didn't have that luxury last year and was used due to needing a QB. I don't care how good of an evaluator people think they are in 2 games can not tell how a player will be in his career and we will not know about Moore until he gets more experience.

The games meant something to Moore and he still didn't play very well. He played against a Buffalo team that was playing out the schedule just like the Cowboys. The Bills were using a young QB and Moore had a very poor game. He completed less than 42% of his passes, had no TD's and one INT. He had a passer rating of 48.6. Although he had a good game statistically vs Washington in the season finale passing for over 400 yards and 3 TD's the Commanders were in lay down mode looking ahead to the playoffs. All they were doing was trying not to get anyone hurt and started pulling players. They showed little effort and still won by 11 points.

The Cowboys were outscored 50-29 in the two games Moore started. The Cowboys aren't comfortable with him which is why there were reports they had a trade offer for Glennon. You have to remember Moore spent 3 seasons in Detroit and lost the backup job and was released he's not Tony Romo. I'll be very surprised if we don't sign a veteran QB by training camp. We have to get a veteran in by camp so they can learn the offense or we could end up royally screwed if Romo goes down for a lengthy period again and all we have is Moore and Dak.

If we can't win a game with Moore the Cowboys will have to move onto Dak and if they can't win with him they'll be making another mid season trade for a veteran QB. The team entered the offseason with backup QB as a high priority and all the Cowboys have done is add a 4th QB. Trust me they're nervous about their backup QB situation and I expect a veteran to be added. Not saying Moore won't end up the backup but we have to have more options than Moore and Dak and that option has to include an experienced veteran QB.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I would not waste the time to trade for another backup QB--give Moore the time and reps in preseason to become the QB I think he can become and give Dak some years to develop.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would not waste the time to trade for another backup QB--give Moore the time and reps in preseason to become the QB I think he can become and give Dak some years to develop.

I wouldn't "trade" for a QB but we need to bring in an experienced veteran who might be out there as insurance in the event Romo goes down and Moore can't get it done. There's the potential for another huge disaster at backup QB if we enter the season with just Moore and Dak. No team wants to enter the season with an unproven backup QB especially a team like the Cowboys whose season went down the drain last year due to their backup QB situation.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys don't sign a veteran QB and head to camp with just Moore and Dak and neither looks impressive in preseason we're going to be scrambling to find a veteran QB. If we wait until training camp and preseason to start looking for another option at backup we could end up in the same miserable boat as last season if Romo goes down. Part of why Cassel didn't look real good was probably due to missing training camp and preseason and having to undertake a crash course on our offense during the season.

Even Jerry and Garrett mentioned that. If it were me I would have already signed a veteran QB to start working with the offense. I can't believe after what happened last season and with all the talk about how big a priority backup QB would be this offseason that we're going to settle with Moore and Dak for 2016. It would be a mistake to wait until training camp and preseason to see how both look before looking for a veteran option. You have to prepare yourself better than that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the Cowboys don't sign a veteran QB and head to camp with just Moore and Dak and neither looks impressive in preseason we're going to be scrambling to find a veteran QB. If we wait until training camp and preseason to start looking for another option at backup we could end up in the same miserable boat as last season if Romo goes down. Part of why Cassel didn't look real good was probably due to missing training camp and preseason and having to undertake a crash course on our offense during the season.

Even Jerry and Garrett mentioned that. If it were me I would have already signed a veteran QB to start working with the offense. I can't believe after what happened last season and with all the talk about how big a priority backup QB would be this offseason that we're going to settle with Moore and Dak for 2016. It would be a mistake to wait until training camp and preseason to see how both look before looking for a veteran option. You have to prepare yourself better than that.

I don't disagree bring vet QB to camp. If Moore shows he can handle backup you can wave the vet but if Moore shows he can't then you release Moore and move on. I really do not see the Cowboys having 4 QB on the roster and I doubt they will try to put Dak on practice squad and chance losing him

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't disagree bring vet QB to camp. If Moore shows he can handle backup you can wave the vet but if Moore shows he can't then you release Moore and move on. I really do not see the Cowboys having 4 QB on the roster and I doubt they will try to put Dak on practice squad and chance losing him

Showing it in camp and preseason is a a lot different than showing it during the regular season. If you bring a veteran QB in you have to hang onto them as insurance. We went through 3 backup QBs last season trying to find an answer to win a football game. The Cowboys won't have 4 QBs on the roster but we're going to be taking a huge gamble if one of our backups isn't an experienced vet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Showing it in camp and preseason is a a lot different than showing it during the regular season. If you bring a veteran QB in you have to hang onto them as insurance. We went through 3 backup QBs last season trying to find an answer to win a football game. The Cowboys won't have 4 QBs on the roster but we're going to be taking a huge gamble if one of our backups isn't an experienced vet.

I don't think Cowboys will go with 4 QB and putting Dak on PS opens him up to other teams. If they don't like what they see in Moore as a backup then go to a vet but I seriously doubt they will keep 4 QB on the roster

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't think Cowboys will go with 4 QB and putting Dak on PS opens him up to other teams. If they don't like what they see in Moore as a backup then go to a vet but I seriously doubt they will keep 4 QB on the roster

They won't keep 4 QBs and they won't risk Dak on the PS so Moore could be the odd man out if he doesn't look good this summer.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They won't keep 4 QBs and they won't risk Dak on the PS so Moore could be the odd man out if he doesn't look good this summer.

They've already said they are going with 3QB and one more on PS. Dak wasn't drafted to put on PS.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What veteran QB is currently unsigned?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What veteran QB is currently unsigned?

Ryan Fitzpatrick but we're not going after him. We may have to wait until one is released or phone a real dead beat that's been sitting around collecting dust for awhile.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys don't sign a veteran QB and head to camp with just Moore and Dak and neither looks impressive in preseason
Its likely neither will impress you trying to run that vanilla offense we use.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ryan Fitzpatrick but we're not going after him. We may have to wait until one is released or phone a real dead beat that's been sitting around collecting dust for awhile.

Fitzpatrick would be ideal in a perfect world, but he has already turned down a 3 year 21-24 million dollar deal with 12 mil guaranteed. There are no dead beats out there that are better than Moore. If we are waiting for some miracle cut-dwon, then we are talking about waiting until the end of training camp.