Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They won't keep 4 QBs and they won't risk Dak on the PS so Moore could be the odd man out if he doesn't look good this summer.

I fully agree. It is really on Moore to show he is up to the task. He will get ample opportunity to do just that. If he leaves the coaches with doubt then I would expect them to look outside to a vet.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I fully agree. It is really on Moore to show he is up to the task. He will get ample opportunity to do just that. If he leaves the coaches with doubt then I would expect them to look outside to a vet.

We really need to bring in a vet to compete with Moore in camp and preseason. He needs competition from an experienced QB to push him. If we start finding out by the second preseason that neither Moore or Dak are looking very good we'll be scrambling to find a vet. We need to bring one in by camp so they can learn the offense so they're not way behind and can have some success this summer. That will enable us to make a solid decision either to go with the vet as the backup and release Moore or go with Moore and release the vet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We really need to bring in a vet to compete with Moore in camp and preseason. He needs competition from an experienced QB to push him. If we start finding out by the second preseason that neither Moore or Dak are looking very good we'll be scrambling to find a vet. We need to bring one in by camp so they can learn the offense so they're not way behind and can have some success this summer. That will enable us to make a solid decision either to go with the vet as the backup and release Moore or go with Moore and release the vet.

I don't disagree with that. I will say looking at the names of FA QB Ryan Fitzpatrick is the only 1 I see that I would feel more comfortable than Moore, maybe Josh Freeman

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. I will say looking at the names of FA QB Ryan Fitzpatrick is the only 1 I see that I would feel more comfortable than Moore, maybe Josh Freeman

Fitzpatrick would be too pricy and Freeman has looked terrible since he left Tampa. He hasn't had a passer rating higher than 81.6 since 2012. I would rather have Moore than Freeman at least there's a chance of improvement with Moore. We may have no choice but to wait until camp and see if anyone is released.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick would be too pricy and Freeman has looked terrible since he left Tampa. He hasn't had a passer rating higher than 81.6 since 2012. I would rather have Moore than Freeman at least there's a chance of improvement with Moore. We may have no choice but to wait until camp and see if anyone is released.

I agree which brings us back to what vet? All the names out there come with holes in their games and no upside. Fitz is the only vet with a lot of starting experience but as you said would be pricey

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree which brings us back to what vet? All the names out there come with holes in their games and no upside. Fitz is the only vet with a lot of starting experience but as you said would be pricey

Every backup vet QB has holes and the only upside they bring is experience. I'm thinking we may have made a mistake letting Weeden go. He put up some pretty darn good numbers with us last season and got us to OT vs NO on a last ditch drive with only 7 seconds to play. Had we made some tweaks to the offense that didn't make it so Romo friendly he could have had more success this year.

Right now we have a dilemma, we have two inexperienced backup QBs that haven't won an NFL game. Our only option may be to wait and see if any QBs are released prior to the season or take our chances with Moore and Dak and hope we never have to play them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Every backup vet QB has holes and the only upside they bring is experience. I'm thinking we may have made a mistake letting Weeden go. He put up some pretty darn good numbers with us last season and got us to OT vs NO on a last ditch drive with only 7 seconds to play. Had we made some tweaks to the offense that didn't make it so Romo friendly he could have had more success this year.

Right now we have a dilemma, we have two inexperienced backup QBs that haven't won an NFL game. Our only option may be to wait and see if any QBs are released prior to the season or take our chances with Moore and Dak and hope we never have to play them.

Weeden is still a FA. Looking at the names out there I just do not see anything that would give us a better chance. I agree I hope Moore nor Dak have to play this season but right now there is slim pickings out there for vet QB

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Weeden re-signed with the Toxins

Brandon Weeden signed a 2 year, $4,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including $450,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,000,000. In 2016, Weeden will earn a base salary of $800,000 and a roster bonus of $937,500. Weeden has a cap hit of $1,737,500 while his dead money value is $450,000.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/brandon-weeden/

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Weeden is still a FA. Looking at the names out there I just do not see anything that would give us a better chance. I agree I hope Moore nor Dak have to play this season but right now there is slim pickings out there for vet QB

I haven't checked the list of FA QBs but if it were me I would have brought Weeden back before he was re-signed by the Texans and allowed him to compete. A few adjustments to the offense to allow us to incorporate another QB could make the difference. Adjustments have to be made with another QB because something isn't right when you're only able to win one of 12 games with a backup QB with the talent we have offensively.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

We didn't even look at Hoyer, McCoy, Moore, Daniel, Sanchez, McCown....all of whom are better than KMoore

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We didn't even look at Hoyer, McCoy, Moore, Daniel, Sanchez, McCown....all of whom are better than KMoore

that is true, but then Cowboys and Linehan evidently feel none of those guys offer much and have confidence in Moore. All the guys you mentioned are now signed or not worth getting and some are both.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
that is true, but then Cowboys and Linehan evidently feel none of those guys offer much and have confidence in Moore. All the guys you mentioned are now signed or not worth getting and some are both.

i know, I just don't want to hear the excuse that there is no one available to challenge KMoore.....we knew there was a strong chance we weren't getting Goff/Wentz/Lynch

Doomsday101

Reaction score
i know, I just don't want to hear the excuse that there is no one available to challenge KMoore.....we knew there was a strong chance we weren't getting Goff/Wentz/Lynch

There are guys out there, Fitz in my view is the only guy whom I think could do the job as backup if needed for prolonged period of time outside of that I don't see much difference with Moore than the rest. You can say you think this guy or that guy could be better but based on track record none of them have had much success if any.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There are guys out there, Fitz in my view is the only guy whom I think could do the job as backup if needed for prolonged period of time outside of that I don't see much difference with Moore than the rest. You can say you think this guy or that guy could be better but based on track record none of them have had much success if any.

I know that KMoore can't do it.....he is too small, too weak and too turnover prone

If we go into the seasons with him as our QB2 that is a colossal failure

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I haven't checked the list of FA QBs but if it were me I would have brought Weeden back before he was re-signed by the Texans and allowed him to compete. A few adjustments to the offense to allow us to incorporate another QB could make the difference. Adjustments have to be made with another QB because something isn't right when you're only able to win one of 12 games with a backup QB with the talent we have offensively.

For all his faults, Moore outplayed Weeden with 1.5 years less time to prepare.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Pretty close, But I think you missed the sensible middle ground the majority of posters here are thinking. Pre-draft reports placed the chances of Smith EVER playing another down of football as low as 20%, so picking a player who will never play a down 4 out of 5 times was seen as a bad gamble. Post draft, stories came out that raised the odds significantly, and many fans chose to take a wait and see approach.

So it's actually BOTH scenarios you presented, only separated by a few days worth of severely conflicting information that was provided.

Why do you stock in pre-draft reports from individuals who aren't privy to the intimate details of Smith's condition?