Jaylon Smith nerve regenerating

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It sounds like he's close to being healthy enough to play, regardless of full nerve regeneration. It's not like a light switch, there are varying levels to what the nerve can/could do. It's possible he could be an effective player even if he never returns to pre-injury form. With him running without a brace and feeling like he could play with a brace right now, I like where this is going. He's still got eight months to improve upon that.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Can we all just get along now?

Errrrbody happy?

rodney-king-4.jpg

The Natural

Reaction score
Am I the only one slightly offended by his choice of words? He can outperform guys that have been doing this since OTAs? Because the only defensive player we have that is somewhat playing at an elite level is Sean Lee. He has never tackled someone in a NFL practice! Let alone a regular season game! Let alone a playoff game! He has not tackled anyone at any level in over a year! So I admire confidence and swag....but have some respect for what it takes to play at this level!
:laugh:

lukin2006

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith says nerve regenerating, claims he could've played in playoffs

Dallas Cowboys rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith - who sat out his first season in the NFL due to a devastating knee injury suffered in his last college game - said the nerve in his knee is regenerating, and he believes he could have played at an elite level in the playoffs, according to Brandon George of The Dallas Morning News.

Asked if it's the opinion of his doctors or just his own feeling about his knee's condition, Smith replied, "It's both," according to George, adding that he'll participate in the Cowboys' OTAs in May.

Dallas took the former Notre Dame standout with the 34th overall pick in the 2016 draft, but it was always unlikely he'd be able to suit up this season due to the severe nerve damage sustained when he tore his ACL and LCL during the Fiesta Bowl.

The Cowboys placed the 21-year-old on injured reserve in mid-December after it became clear he wouldn't be healthy enough to contribute late in the season.

sWfhile Smith could have been a valuable piece for the team this postseason, his nerve regeneration is positive news for his future, as it was feared he might never see an NFL field.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
No reason whatsoever to sugarcoat his rehab. If he says the doctor told him it's regenerating and he says he's running a 4.5, then he is. Jaylon's not the type of man to make that sort of stuff up. I know the skeptics will disagree, but there's no reason on God's green earth for him to lie.

Here's a reminder of this kid's talent.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I'm not saying he couldn't have given it a go in the playoffs. But elite level, I'm skeptical.

But this is great news anyways. I still forget he's with us at times.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No reason whatsoever to sugarcoat his rehab. If he says the doctor told him it's regenerating and he says he's running a 4.5, then he is. Jaylon's not the type of man to make that sort of stuff up. I know the skeptics will disagree, but there's no reason on God's green earth for him to lie.

Here's a reminder of this kid's talent.

Freaking man amongst boys. Just wait until we plug him into that defense WITH LEE.

OMG

Proof

Reaction score
Not lying. Spags is likely of the opinion that the player is framing the situation in an optimistic light.

The more I read of the tweets the more I think viewing this as a definitive resolution to his nerve issue is premature.

Spags isn't a member of the media in any real sense. He's more like the Cowboys official media spokesman. He's not going to be snoozing while team insiders talk about Smith and he's privy to a lot of information outside folks don't have. It's big news for everyone.

I want to be excited and delighted like everyone. But I'm going back to "we'll see" mode.

Except that he's had all year to "frame the situation in an optimistic light" and had more incentive to do so during the season.

He's been vague and only talked about very specific things. Now he's talking about running, cutting, playing, sensation etc. I'm buying

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Except that he's had all year to "frame the situation in an optimistic light" and had more incentive to do so during the season.

He's been vague and only talked about very specific things. Now he's talking about running, cutting, playing, sensation etc. I'm buying
Great groceries.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Lol. I was blasted on another forum for saying we should cut ties with Johnson after he missed his 3rd (?) year. One poster said "you'll be eating crow when he's our starting safety this year".
I'm certainly not writing off J. Smith. I just don't want to get hopes up till we see some practice time.

One is an elite talent and the other was a project, I'd say that isn't really a fair comparison

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Good grief, we've heard this stuff so much, by the time Smith's nerve fires for real, nobody in this forum will believe it!

It's confusing . . . I'm not too sure whether to spit on the floor in disgust or pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate. :confused:

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since he was on the NFI the team had the "option" of not paying him for a non-football injury

But DAL chose to pay him in full so after 6 weeks of full pay he accrued a years service time

They did the same with DMcFadden....they paid him all year
I'm still not 100% clear on that issue.

I'm not clear on the definition of "full pay".

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2016/10/05/itp-glossary-accrued-season/
Any player who does not spend the required six games under full pay status does not acquire an accrued season. One notable example of this is former San Francisco 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore. After being drafted in 2013 out of South Carolina following a major knee injury, he spent his entire first season in the league on the non-football injury list, which is not under full pay status. As such, 2013 did not count as an accrued season for him, essentially making 2014 his rookie year.

From Rotoworld on Lattimore:
5/31/2013: Signed a four-year, $2.46 million contract. The deal included a $300,584 signing bonus. As Lattimore spent his entire rookie season on the reserve/non-football injury list, he did not receive credit for an

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The article is on espn....he claims he's running a 4.5 forty and will get back to 4.4 and feels great. He says he could play wearing the foot brace as he's gotten used to the push-off, etc, but he's feeling things he wasn't feeling recently and expects to play without it next year.

It was a team decision to go with the original plan and red shirt him.