Jaylon Smith nerve regenerating

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Since he was on the NFI the team had the "option" of not paying him for a non-football injury

But DAL chose to pay him in full so after 6 weeks of full pay he accrued a years service time

They did the same with DMcFadden....they paid him all year

Exactly. It would make no sense for Dallas to sign JS, knowing he had the injury and would go NFI, if they had no intention to pay the guy. He wouldn't have signed the deal if he thought they'd hold him hostage for a year. As you said, when you pay him, he accrues service time.

The front office is betting that his talent level is such that three years of Smith on the field is worth the second-round pick. I'm excited to potentially see him on the field in '17.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jaylon is on the field at full capacity for OTA's. Even thought he was drafted in 2016... It will still be like the 2017 draft is already an A+ grade....a a AAA+ ......

erod

Reaction score
Mickey Spagnola was on The Fan, poo-pooing this whole story. Said it was just hope on Smith's part, and that nobody knows for sure.

In other words, he got beat on a story. Again. Dude needs to lose the pom-poms and get to work.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Exactly. It would make no sense for Dallas to sign JS, knowing he had the injury and would go NFI, if they had no intention to pay the guy. He wouldn't have signed the deal if he thought they'd hold him hostage for a year. As you said, when you pay him, he accrues service time.

The front office is betting that his talent level is such that three years of Smith on the field is worth the second-round pick. I'm excited to potentially see him on the field in '17.
Plus he spent the whole year with team learning and training and bonding...he won't be a rookie in 2017

His optimism and hardwork can be infectious and may have helped RGregory stay strong

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Not at all. But the business is talent acquisition. A player of Jaylon's caliber if he is who we think he is....just doesn't hit the open market until at least 5 or 6 years into his career. And then he receives a massive free agent contract. And that's for a player you don't know. Having Jaylon in our system for 4 years even if not in an ideal cost control situation of a 1st rounder is worth it's weight in gold.

If Jaylon makes a full recovery he's a Cowboy for life. We missed a generational talent in Ramsey but appear to have found another one. Linebackers don't get projected top 5 very often.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I'm ready for a day filled with "Feed Me" and bowling celebrations.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score

phildadon86

Reaction score
"It's not a limiting factor at all," Smith said. "Now that I'm comfortable with the push off and everything, I'm getting my linear speed back like I said. I'm running a 4.5 right now so. ... But with the pace that I'm keeping up, you could tell that I'm definitely getting my linear speed back and the change of direction and things like that. I mean, I feel great."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18414405/injured-dallas-cowboys-lb-jaylon-smith-optimistic-2017
http://es.pn/2j92Xwj
Running a 4.5 with no brace is more than encouraging. This kid is also one of the most down to earth spiritual cats out there. He would not lie.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm more worried about what's between his ears being fully healed than his nerve.

After an injury like that, I hope Jerry has some good Psychologists on staff to get him back on the field at his previous level.
What the heck??? Reading Smith's tweets over these last few months it's clear there is nothing wrong from the neck up.

T-RO

Reaction score
Smith clearly said his nerve was regenerating so Spags must think he's lying.

Not lying. Spags is likely of the opinion that the player is framing the situation in an optimistic light.

The more I read of the tweets the more I think viewing this as a definitive resolution to his nerve issue is premature.

Spags isn't a member of the media in any real sense. He's more like the Cowboys official media spokesman. He's not going to be snoozing while team insiders talk about Smith and he's privy to a lot of information outside folks don't have. It's big news for everyone.

I want to be excited and delighted like everyone. But I'm going back to "we'll see" mode.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Mickey Spagnola was on The Fan, poo-pooing this whole story. Said it was just hope on Smith's part, and that nobody knows for sure.

In other words, he got beat on a story. Again. Dude needs to lose the pom-poms and get to work.

Mickey needs to stop peeking into the cheerleaders locker room and instead focus on Cowboys news, Stephen Jones just told us they expect Jaylon to be ready for the off season program, certainly he is aware of his medical situation.http://i1133.***BLOCKED***/albums/m600/DWAREZIZ/5884551-Dallas-Cowboys-writer-Mickey-Spagnola-interview.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm more worried about what's between his ears being fully healed than his nerve.

After an injury like that, I hope Jerry has some good Psychologists on staff to get him back on the field at his previous level.

What on earth are you talking about? Is this in regards to Jaylan?