THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

th

jamesdojr

Reaction score
Free first round pick in 2017 draft

Exactly, the way I look at it. I imagine that we have the first pick in the draft and we have already agreed to the term of the contract with Jaylon Smith. And he is a #1 pick worthy player. An absolute beast! Pairing him up with Sean Lee is going to be a thing of beauty and a nightmare for opponents.

Win the Super Bowl AND get 2 first rnd draft picks... it's nice to be a Cowboys fan right now.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'm still not 100% clear on that issue.

I'm not clear on the definition of "full pay".

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2016/10/05/itp-glossary-accrued-season/
Any player who does not spend the required six games under full pay status does not acquire an accrued season. One notable example of this is former San Francisco 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore. After being drafted in 2013 out of South Carolina following a major knee injury, he spent his entire first season in the league on the non-football injury list, which is not under full pay status. As such, 2013 did not count as an accrued season for him, essentially making 2014 his rookie year.

From Rotoworld on Lattimore:
5/31/2013: Signed a four-year, $2.46 million contract. The deal included a $300,584 signing bonus. As Lattimore spent his entire rookie season on the reserve/non-football injury list, he did not receive credit for an
Lattimore was a little different situation. I'm not as familiar but I'm guessing San Fran was less certain about his ability to get back to full strength - rightfully so. Therefore it appears they did not pay him that season and so he did not accrue service time, as your source points out. My guess is he agreed to the contract and got the signing bonus - knowing that was what he was going to receive until he got back on the field.

So San Fran chose not to pay him fully, he didn't fight it (not sure he could have, but I'm not an attorney) and that's why he never accrued the year.

Dallas didn't have to pay him - per NFI regs - but chose to, so the service time did accrue.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lattimore was a little different situation. I'm not as familiar but I'm guessing San Fran was less certain about his ability to get back to full strength - rightfully so. Therefore it appears they did not pay him that season and so he did not accrue service time, as your source points out. My guess is he agreed to the contract and got the signing bonus - knowing that was what he was going to receive until he got back on the field.

So San Fran chose not to pay him fully, he didn't fight it (not sure he could have, but I'm not an attorney) and that's why he never accrued the year.

Dallas didn't have to pay him - per NFI regs - but chose to, so the service time did accrue.
What is full pay? The rookie minimum for 2016 is 450K. What if they paid him 449K?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What is full pay? The rookie minimum for 2016 is 450K. What if they paid him 449K?
I think that is the difference......it was reported DAL paid Rico Gathers 449k to stay on the practice Squad and not accrue a year..... teams sometimes give split contracts to players.......a certain amount if they are active and a lesser amount if they are hurt, on the IR or the practice squad

DAL didn't have to pay JSmith the full amount but it was reported that they did.....same with DMC and that is why he didn't complain about being on the NFI for 10 weeks......handshake deal

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
NFL contracts are paid weekly during the regular season. I don't know what Dallas has paid JS specifically, but know he's at least been paid for six weeks of the contract. My guess is he's been paid each week as if he were playing and that was what he and the team agreed to when they signed the deal.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL contracts are paid weekly during the regular season. I don't know what Dallas has paid JS specifically, but know he's at least been paid for six weeks of the contract. My guess is he's been paid each week as if he were playing and that was what he and the team agreed to when they signed the deal.
Yes, he got paid every week, but was it "full pay"?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Sucks that when we get great news about this kid we get let down by Randy Gregory

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
OK this is a positive development. The nerve has to regenerate before it can start firing. Some have pointed to the fact the nerve hasn't fired yet to claim the nerve must not be regenerating, so write this kid off, it's over.

He's saying this isn't what the doctors have been telling him. Nerve's regenerating just fine.

I can get behind this kind of information. Hopefully, we'll no longer be needing soothsayers to interpret Jaylon's family photos.