Video: Jaylon Smith running, stopping & cutting video

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I still think he's not 100 percent from his injury. But failing to fill holes and attack the running back has nothing to do with injury.
I really hope he has a bounce-back year.

I think much of Jaylon's poor technique was driven by a leg that never fully recovered, and always had to be compensated for, to the point that the compensation was reflexive.

I would love to see him look fully recovered on the field, but a 15 second video doesn't change my mind that he's fundamentally physically limited and will never not be. Let's hope I'm wrong.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Never said I was impressed....just was wondering where you coached that you're letting guys go that are his size and move like that.

If the sticking point for you is size, you got me.
Zero 6'4 250lb high schoolers were cut.
Several have quit.
At that size, roughly, you just hope a light turns on.

I've been up close and felt the speed of a pro athlete.
That video does not portray an NFL pro bowl linebacker.

One man's opinion.

Jimmy Kennedy
Tim Hightower
Kyle Arrington
Ronald Darby... are athletes I've had the pleasure to work with in drills
or join in workouts, or simply watch my son train with.

Hightower was interesting because he would later
return to the NFL with the Saints. We were Saints fans during his great
month long run as a fantasy football pickup.

cristglo

Reaction score
At least he’s working. I bet some NFL guys are just resting up, waiting for training camp.

However, at this point there really is no other way to salvage public opinion on Smith than him getting on the field, playing at a high level and helping the defense play well.

Fans don’t want talk. They don’t want videos of work outs. They don’t want speaking engagements or autograph signings. They want production. They want sacks, TFL’s, hard hits and 3 & outs. No swipes to fire up the defense. No dancing with opponents.

Just play well. Just make us proud. And he will be welcomed back into the open arms of Cowboy Nation. Open admiration, cheering fans, and as many post retirement employment opportunities as one could want.

It is all there to be had. Just do it.
I agree shut up and let your play speak for you Jaylon All eyes are on you

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I've done it.
Go downtown and find any healthy young man.
He'll easily do this drill.
......I'm sure you have. Whoa.....coming out of the closet. I can dig it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think he will play really well this season

I believe I found out why Jaylon takes the wrong angles at times when he whiffs on tackles...

Look at his legs while he's running and cutting in the video: His legs are bow-legged.

Wouldn't that affect your angle of attack, cutting and accuracy of being in the correct spot to make a tackle?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I believe I found out why Jaylon takes the wrong angles at times when he whiffs on tackles...

Look at his legs while he's running and cutting in the video: His legs are bow-legged.

Wouldn't that affect your angle of attack, cutting and accuracy of being in the correct spot to make a tackle?
Those bow legs are from vitamin C deficiency, believe its called rickets,, but could be wrong,, but usually sailors at many days at sea were susceptible, maybe JS was a captain

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
These videos aren't nearly as likely to save Jaylon's career as his on-field performance. Yet, working in the offseason is likely beneficial, also. Let's hope Dan Quinn's guidance plays an important role in Jaylon's ongoing recovery. The upcoming year will be crucial to his future. I'm hoping he'll manage to make the most of it. The defense should be simplified enough to suit his cause, assuming he's in on the action enough. He'll surely be watched.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
We'll see how he does under Quinn but it's not like only his agility was lacking the past few years.
He just guesses on diagnosing plays/or tries to do too much and gets out of position.

Similar to Zeke, it's great but at the same time expected these guys are training. They play in the NFL. Not too many guys can truly do nothing in the offseason and not fall behind. But can he be that explosive back again or will he just be that guy that barely gets you 4.

Same thing would go to someone like LVE. It's great they are working out/training etc. But will he still be timid/miss easy tackles? We've seen these guys for years and they have been on a downward/stagnant trend. Being in shape is expected.