Video: Jaylon Smith running, stopping & cutting video

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch game tape.
He struggles with lateral movement. But he also seems slow in play recognition. I'm talking maybe a split second slow. No big deal in life, but in a pro defense instead of hitting, you're chasing.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
could be wrong, but I don't think Jaylon is the one that put this out. I'm sure that the videos are taken so he can review it to see if he was using good technique, etc. Maybe he told whoever filmed it to put it out. Maybe the guy did it on his own.

That is a good point. I never thought about that.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I still think he's not 100 percent from his injury. But failing to fill holes and attack the running back has nothing to do with injury.
I really hope he has a bounce-back year.

I’m not here to rip the guy but that was a little painful. I don’t know how to explain it but it seems he’s trying to move his legs fast but his movements seem “heavy” compared to some guys I see do this.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Hopefully someone sat him down and watched his tape. Crazy how in 2018 one of the best linebacker duos go to 2020 and was one of the worst

pitt33

Reaction score
Everyone wants the players on this team to play well and contribute on the field which hopefully equates to more wins than losses and playoff success. That is the bottom line. But...

Jaylon Smith is damaged goods. He has zero cutting ability and can't run with any kind of speed unless it's in a straight line. Any film of him clearly reveals that much.

If he is still on the team after this year one really has to question the FO on their commitment to winning and fielding the best players.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Well I certainly hope he can do what he did in the video, he wouldn't be on the team if he couldn't. Since I've seen or heard or read nothing about his being released I would already assume he can do that.

Often times when somebody puts a video out like that they're as much trying to convince themselves as much as anybody else that they still "have it", they need the confirmation (or in some cases adoration) of self worth.

Would love to see him play a top level this year and years beyond, but talk and shorts and t-shirt videos mean nothing, do it on the field and I'll be among the first to compliment him....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I still think he's not 100 percent from his injury. But failing to fill holes and attack the running back has nothing to do with injury.
I really hope he has a bounce-back year.
It's obvious they attempt to disguise his issues. But you can not. He has to be replaced.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's obvious they attempt to disguise his issues. But you can not. He has to be replaced.

He's one of, or should be one of, the "prove it this year" players on the Cowboys. Of course cap hits, etc. come into play, and you'd like to be able to trade him rather than outright release him.

But at some point you have to make the hard decisions. Evidently he's a great guy, good teammate, etc. But Romo put it perfectly - the NFL is a meritocracy, do it or you're outta here...

Big_D

Reaction score
This should be his last season in a Cowboys uniform no matter what he does. Time to move on..

Lets see videos of him taking on and shedding blocks. Not side stepping them.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is imperative that we get out from under this contract after this year. If we pull a Tyrone Crawford and pay out his ridiculous base salary year after year despite a constant decrease in any sort of real production I will be a very sad boy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting

What I will say in my drunken haze (Makers Mark, that I bought at the Kentucky distillery, their special "toasted marshmallow stave" limited edition bottling) is that I hope he plays well. There are players on this team that people root against like Jaylon, and that's messed up. I hope he plays like the best LB in the NFL this year.
Maker's Mark is one of my faves but I can't do flavored bourbon. Also Woodford Reserve.

Regarding Jaylon...we do have some jokers who seem to "root against" a few guys. Sure. But I feel statements like this make it look like fair criticism is "rooting against". I happen to think even in this video he looks gimpy. There is something wrong with the gate.

I say this as a gimp. I know it when I see it.

There are some comments about coverage and decision making...and I say, again...that if you are favoring a body part...it effects your decision making.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yes it is good to have DL help but that has nothing to do with diagnosing plays and effort
Effort I saw plenty. His problem is he tries to do too much when the circumstances are bad, IE go around blocks or guess when the there is trash in front of him. With a crappy scheme and bad personnel everybody looked like trash last year. I put that on the coaches starting at the top.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m not here to rip the guy but that was a little painful. I don’t know how to explain it but it seems he’s trying to move his legs fast but his movements seem “heavy” compared to some guys I see do this.

I’ve maintained that there’s still some remaining limitation in his foot flexion. It could be that his nerve recovered to like 85-90% of what it was, and what you’re seeing is him having to compensate by constantly pumping his legs because he can’t explode from a flat-footed position (see blurb below). It could also psychosomatic at this point.

High steppage gait (symptom). This type of walking pattern is characterized by raising the thigh up in an exaggerated fashion, such as in climbing stairs. A high steppage gait is attempted to prevent the toes from abnormally hitting or scraping the floor while walking.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree. The first year he was back, it was comical and yet sad. He would run as if he was on ice and couldn't stop himself. It was clear that he wasn't healed fully even though he made a yeoman's attempt at playing.

That injury was more devastating than many could imagine, and many fans think that just because he's on the field, he's 100 percent. I just don't think that's the case. I don't know if he'll ever fully heal.

But I really hope he does and can become the player we thought he was when Jerry took a gamble on him (still think we could have gotten him later) and picked him in the second round.

aikemirv

Reaction score
isn't the whole idea of this video to show that he can cut side to side, and not just run upfield? Guess the optimist will think his health is encouraging....of course have to see his game before any assumption or excitement
I think so because we have not seen that on the field. I have seen the reluctance to make quick cuts on the field!

Big_D

Reaction score
I think so because we have not seen that on the field. I have seen the reluctance to make quick cuts on the field!

It's easy on a practice field without numerous players coming at him. Even in this 3 second clip he still looks a little gimpy.