Jaylon Smith sighting

Verdict

Reaction score
This is why I said he should be limited but not completely out of the rotation. That play didn't mean anything in the outcome but it goes to show what he can do.

Exactly. Even among the bad plays Jaylon makes due to lack of mobility you occasionally see a splash play. You don't really see any of that from Taco.

Reactions: BAT

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who think taking Jaylon was a reasonable risk. I would have preferred we traded back a little and still drafted him but that's the way it goes.

I can't speak for everyone but I would think that most people on this board would like to see him succeed. One thing you can say about him is if he doesn't get there it won't be because of lack of hard work and effort.

On the other hand being critical of his play is reasonable so far. Not everyone who is critical of his play wants to see him fail. In fact I would suggest that that sort of person is in the minority here.

I am sure you are tired of people bashing him but I think criticism of his play so far is reasonable.
Being against the pick/risk at the time was reasonable but once drafted he's a Cowboy.

I agree that he was bad last game and pretty bad the game before that but the people making the noise were the same ones bashing his ability to ever play again.

The sad part was last game as bad as he was, no one else was better. He was out on a couple drives where we got gashed every play.
No linebacker was any good last game.
Jaylon was good week 1 and he sort of tailed off as the weeks progressed, likely because his body wasn't use to that type of workload.
He wemt an awfully long time without hitting anyone.

In a reduced role playing like 25 plays per game he will show up and smash people.
And in a couple years he might really be the stud MLB we've so seldom had since the mid 90s.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
an what id never does any better are you going to eat crow

today was best lber showing we had all year

I love posters like you who are about beating their chest and being right over the team being successful.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You can see enough good out of Jaylon to think there may eventually be a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.
You do not judge draft picks after/during 1 season.
See Jared Goff or Troy Aikman.
Taco has been non-existent but he's also playing the most overachieving and surprisingly solid position on the football team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You do not judge draft picks after/during 1 season.
See Jared Goff or Troy Aikman.
Taco has been non-existent but he's also playing the most overachieving and surprisingly solid position on the football team.

David Irving and Tank Lawrence combined for .5 sacks as rookies with us.

Verdict

Reaction score
Being against the pick/risk at the time was reasonable but once drafted he's a Cowboy.

I agree that he was bad last game and pretty bad the game before that but the people making the noise were the same ones bashing his ability to ever play again.

The sad part was last game as bad as he was, no one else was better. He was out on a couple drives where we got gashed every play.
No linebacker was any good last game.
Jaylon was good week 1 and he sort of tailed off as the weeks progressed, likely because his body wasn't use to that type of workload.
He wemt an awfully long time without hitting anyone.

In a reduced role playing like 25 plays per game he will show up and smash people.
And in a couple years he might really be the stud MLB we've so seldom had since the mid 90s.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend. I am ok with the pick. Even if it turns out bad it is a reasonable risk because his issues are not character related. I think he will also be loyal to the Cowboys for giving him a chance and believing in him. I think the pick was a reasonable risk vs reward.

I understand how frustrating it is to see people be totally unreasonable regarding an issue but it is a waste of time to discuss anything with them, or try to get them to see your point.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This was the first game I thought he made a genuine impact play. I hope he comes on in the following weeks. We need him to become something special if this defense is going to be what it needs to be.

Thoughts about his game today?
Liked it.

He had a burst I hadn't seen before.

Probably because he's taking fewer snaps now.

DiResta

Reaction score
The way he was used today is how he's going to be most effective - limit him to 15-20 snaps in specific down and distance situations. Very similar to how he was playing in the season opener...with similar results. The speed and coordination will return with more time for healing. The instincts jave always been there...his body just can't keep up yet.
we are not talking about a high ankle sprain
have any you seen people with nerve damage?
i have
it is not 1 week you hurt then next you look a bit better and so on
person cannot walk, not at all
then gradually over weeks maybe months of work and therapy they walk with a cane or a brace
later they keep working just to return as close as they can to just normal

we talking about a pro football player, and he still wears a brace
that is fact that he isnt healed 100%
but do you believe this dude will keep grinding till he throws that brace in the locker
because then he is recovered the nerve damage and strength

i believe that day will come
so do many on this forum
but none of us know when
only that he is the perfect personality to do it. you wont stop him not trolling or negative words
we going to enjoy this story, today was just another small victory on this long hard road to recover
hes already made unbelievable steps
he looks much much better playing 10 snaps but even today when Lee was hurt he had to stay in
not good

jrumann59

Reaction score
We have to remember not only is he coming back from a devastating injury but he is basically a rookie. I think today's game will help him build confidenceand he reacted much faster today. On the sack i was watching him before the snap and he didn't hesitate. He shot out of a cannon and hit his mark. I think he will continue to get better as the year goes on
No, I was told he was from another planet, he should be playing all-world, absolutely no reason to have "this is technically his rookie season" excuse. :p

DiResta

Reaction score
It wasn’t a perfect game for Smith on his 32 snaps, but he made the splash plays the Cowboys envisioned when they drafted him in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. After getting lost in coverage on a dig route and missing a tackle on RB Carlos Hyde, Smith made a spectacular play against ther run, shedding LT Joe Staley’s pull block to get in on a stop. He later showed his closing speed on a sack, and while it was an unblocked straight shot to the quarterback, his closing speed led to a forced fumble and a turnover for the Cowboys’ defense. In a season of ups and downs in Smith’s return from injury, this was a positive step back in the right direction.

we hear all the bad
like to hear a little good

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
remember we talked about Fraizer to LB? noticed today Heath played down in the box often today
Yes, they played more single-high which puts Heath down low.

Heath was too far down at times keeping him from getting outside.

I didn't quite understand when I saw him between 3 LBs with the 4 of them at LB depth.

In reviewing the GB game Heath was really not a big problem. They did replace him with Awuzie for about 9 snaps.

When Woods plays it's with 3 Safeties on the field.

DiResta

Reaction score
Yes, they played more single-high which puts Heath down low.

Heath was too far down at times keeping him from getting outside.

I didn't quite understand when I saw him between 3 LBs with the 4 of them at LB depth.

In reviewing the GB game Heath was really not a big problem. They did replace him with Awuzie for about 9 snaps.

When Woods plays it's with 3 Safeties on the field.
to be fair it did get the tfl
i think they were just trying to find a way to get speed outside
Taco lost contain several times even though lined up wide

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
to be fair it did get the tfl
i think they were just trying to find a way to get speed outside
Taco lost contain several times even though lined up wide
In this scheme, if the DE goes inside the LB is required to take outside contain. I saw a couple of fails by LBs with that today. It was way worse last week with Durant failing multiple times.

Reactions: BAT

DiResta

Reaction score
In this scheme, if the DE goes inside the LB is required to take outside contain. I saw a couple of fails by LBs with that today. It was way worse last week with Durant failing multiple times.
Dallas needs speed so bad
why dont you give Marinelli a call and convince him to give Fraizer jersey #55 ;)

i was looking at Atlantas lb Deion Jones
that dude ran a 4.38 40
i cant believe it

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, I was told he was from another planet, he should be playing all-world, absolutely no reason to have "this is technically his rookie season" excuse. :p
Well he is a rookie. He made an explosive play today and continues to improve. It isn't an excuse it's call stating facts.