Jaylon Smith sighting

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, they played more single-high which puts Heath down low.

Heath was too far down at times keeping him from getting outside.

I didn't quite understand when I saw him between 3 LBs with the 4 of them at LB depth.

In reviewing the GB game Heath was really not a big problem. They did replace him with Awuzie for about 9 snaps.

When Woods plays it's with 3 Safeties on the field.
Haven't heard Sturm break this down or anyone ask coaches about it yet but I love that wrinkle.
It essentially protect the LBs with a coverage guy at their level who can take on man duties.
Prevents some of the match up crap teams have beaten up our LBs(not named Sean Lee) on.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He's not a hard hitter, and never has been. Don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.

??? Jaylon dished put plenty of hits in his college career.

He’s not some “bury them into the ground” thumping MLB. But he is definitely capable of hitting hard. That hit on Bernard yesterday was huge.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He's not a hard hitter, and never has been. Don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.
At least the village idiot moniker is correct.
Jaylon has two forced fumbles in 6 games.
He absolutely thumps people when he's going forward.

Laterally, and when a back breaks him down he has issues but going forward he lays the wood in a manner none of our other backers do.

Smith has gained 22 pounds since the combine and become a prototypical old school MLB.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
he never was a hitter like Foster a guy that just crushed
but he has changed his playstyle
maybe because hes slower getting there but hes been laying wood when hits
he also has been more strike when taking on blockers but of course still not perfect maybe never
but hes different player than college
look at college film he looks like Dez build now much bigger and stronger but yes slower
That speed will return as time progresses and he gets to 100%. Add the true return to full confidence to this new NFL build he's working on and dude is going to be a beast. I classify him as being at 90% health and will continue to do so until that brace comes off for good.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
didnt see the Lee injury. If he is not going to play then this defense is back in trouble.
The defense is in trouble regardless if china doll is hobbled. Like someone else said yesterday, we need to draft a couple of addl LB high again next year. Reliability is paramount. A 90% healthy Jaylon has been more reliable this season than Lee. That's not supposed to happen.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
At least the village idiot moniker is correct.
Jaylon has two forced fumbles in 6 games.
He absolutely thumps people when he's going forward.

Laterally, and when a back breaks him down he has issues but going forward he lays the wood in a manner none of our other backers do.

Smith has gained 22 pounds since the combine and become a prototypical old school MLB.
I love it when fans don't just rely on what they read from college write ups and actually go by what their eyes see to date. He has indeed been bulking up and thumping at the point of attack.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Smith still misreads plays too. But hopefully, that comes with experience. I really like Marinelli showing Smith as a blitzer.

I've said it before, but if Smith ever does get full nerve regeneration and is 100% healthy, the better alignment might be Smith at WILL and Lee at MIKE. Yes, I know they moved Lee from MIKE because of injury concerns.

I just don't really think Lee can last at his age at the MIKE, but I do agree that it is best for Jaylon.

I do think Lee is close to him in formations to help Jaylon, which is great on his part cause he knows more than we do about what's going on. Jaylon is like a freight train once he gets going, just right now we have to worry about him getting going.

This year was the first time we didn't take a LB in the draft in a long time. Next year, we have to either get one in FA or draft, its increased in importance. Lee is our best player on defense, I'm still not willing to sacrifice him by moving him to MIKE for Jaylon.

visionary

Reaction score
This was the first game I thought he made a genuine impact play. I hope he comes on in the following weeks. We need him to become something special if this defense is going to be what it needs to be.

Thoughts about his game today?

His impact is felt the most when he's on the sidelines and competent players are on the field

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I just don't really think Lee can last at his age at the MIKE, but I do agree that it is best for Jaylon.

I do think Lee is close to him in formations to help Jaylon, which is great on his part cause he knows more than we do about what's going on. Jaylon is like a freight train once he gets going, just right now we have to worry about him getting going.

This year was the first time we didn't take a LB in the draft in a long time. Next year, we have to either get one in FA or draft, its increased in importance. Lee is our best player on defense, I'm still not willing to sacrifice him by moving him to MIKE for Jaylon.
Fans and media/fake scouts tend to over-react. LB is staffed with young players across the board other than Sean Lee. And we play a fair amount of nickel sets.
Hitchens/Wilson/Smith are all improving players.
Lee is a transcendent player when on the field and a coach when off it.

I wouldn't avoid LB if a talent fell but it's not a large need IMHO.

I suspect next year you see Jaylon Smith on the field for all 4-3 or short yardage sets at MLB.
When in 2 LB sets he is out. BUT his improvement or further injury may change that.

This time last year we were dead set on adding a DE as top priority and we ended up drafting one who cant get on the field in large part because that position has become a team strength due to internal improvement and better health.
If the pot head comes back next year, good grief.. That's a prime Seattle like DE rotation.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I said it Saturday and not in hindsight but all the JSmith bashing was piling on

He was overwhelmed with being the Defensive QB at the MIKE for all the snaps and getting his legs back........ he was never over-matched talent or health wise

We just need to be patient...... something we couldn't do with the injuries to Lee and Hitch.... but no matter what we need to send him on more blitzes

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Fans and media/fake scouts tend to over-react. LB is staffed with young players across the board other than Sean Lee. And we play a fair amount of nickel sets.
Hitchens/Wilson/Smith are all improving players.
Lee is a transcendent player when on the field and a coach when off it.

I wouldn't avoid LB if a talent fell but it's not a large need IMHO.

I suspect next year you see Jaylon Smith on the field for all 4-3 or short yardage sets at MLB.
When in 2 LB sets he is out. BUT his improvement or further injury may change that.

This time last year we were dead set on adding a DE as top priority and we ended up drafting one who cant get on the field in large part because that position has become a team strength due to internal improvement and better health.
If the pot head comes back next year, good grief.. That's a prime Seattle like DE rotation.

I don't think Jaylon is a replacement for Lee, as of now at least. Thats the point, we need another guy back there, in our back 7 of our D, that can be transcendent. Who knows if Jaylon is that guy, but as of right now, we have noone like that in our LB corps or secondary that fits that bill other than Lee.

Yeah we concentrated on DE, problem is we have alot more wrong with this D than that. If you want a great D, you have to have a great defensive player at every level of the D. Right now, we just have Lee.....and he's getting old. I'm glad we are developing on the DL cause that takes a while, but at LB we have maybe Jaylon, and in the secondary......who knows but that guy definitely ain't at safety.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I said it Saturday and not in hindsight but all the JSmith bashing was piling on

He was overwhelmed with being the Defensive QB at the MIKE for all the snaps and getting his legs back........ he was never over-matched talent or health wise

We just need to be patient...... something we couldn't do with the injuries to Lee and Hitch.... but no matter what we need to send him on more blitzes

You’re bonkers if you don’t think he’s been limited physically.

At this moment he’s night/day difference in terms of fluidity of movement than what he was pre-injury at Norte Dame.

bodi

Reaction score
I guess the difference is today the potential was shown.

I don't want him to fail like you do.

To me that makes you a very small person.

putting words in my mouth - just like a trolll

you know exactly what I am thinking - correct

potential is there I can say that about - how many PS players in the league ?

they all have the POTENTIAL but come up just a little bit short

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The way he was used today is how he's going to be most effective - limit him to 15-20 snaps in specific down and distance situations. Very similar to how he was playing in the season opener...with similar results. The speed and coordination will return with more time for healing. The instincts jave always been there...his body just can't keep up yet.

Should also keep him at SAM (blitzes) or at WILL (let him run to ball uncovered). No change of direction and leg drive limit him as MIKE.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don't think Jaylon is a replacement for Lee, as of now at least. Thats the point, we need another guy back there, in our back 7 of our D, that can be transcendent. Who knows if Jaylon is that guy, but as of right now, we have noone like that in our LB corps or secondary that fits that bill other than Lee.

Yeah we concentrated on DE, problem is we have alot more wrong with this D than that. If you want a great D, you have to have a great defensive player at every level of the D. Right now, we just have Lee.....and he's getting old. I'm glad we are developing on the DL cause that takes a while, but at LB we have maybe Jaylon, and in the secondary......who knows but that guy definitely ain't at safety.
Replacement for Lee or not... J-Train will be manning and leading the LB corps for many years to come in Big D. Bank on that with the same money you probably used back when I said my boy OScan would make everyone's favorite Mike Jenkins irrelevant.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
How many of these Jaylon Smith haters were Mike Jenkins lovers and OScan haters back in the day? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Replacement for Lee or not... J-Train will be manning and leading the LB corps for many years to come in Big D. Bank on that with the same money you probably used back when I said my boy OScan would make everyone's favorite Mike Jenkins irrelevant.
it will be cheaper to keep him as well