Jaylon Smith thread *merged*

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jaylon was not terrible today. He was at best uneven but his play surely doesn't warrant a call out. If anything Joe Thomas should be getting applauded he made some good plays today.

Thomas is the best LB on the team. It’s not even a question.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He isn't that bad. Tank has to go first, for sure. When I think of wasted money, on our defense, it's Tank, Crawford, then Smith. I'd rather have Byron Jones instead of DLaw at this point.

I wanted Jones over Dlaw at the time. Too many red flags for DLaw, starting with production. Jones had at least always been healthy, and never suspended.

My bigger disappointment is Jaylon, because I expected more, and thought his signing was a good deal. But he's physically cratered since the beginning of 2019.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone here still think he is a quality LB? Is his issue mental or physical? Do you think he looks prepared at all? Do you think his contract and life outside of football changed his career trajectory? Last question, is he salvageable? All serious questions.
I think he is very good. Takes bad angles, but has all the tools to be great.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thomas is the best LB on the team. It’s not even a question.
I mean he plays a different linebacker position than Jaylon but he is a good football player. Always felt that way. I thought he was underrated guy here by the fanbase last season. He at least looks like he knows what he's doing.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Some people will never learn. Number of tackles is like number of RBIs in baseball. Has almost no meaning when it comes to evaluating a player's performance.

I also included some other facts in there too but some people just can't help focusing on just tackles I guess. Lol

kumizi

Reaction score
It doesn't but 13 tackles are 13 tackles. To me the issue today was the corners and the pass rush. I'm not sure how Jaylen is getting blamed for that performance today.
They were all bad.

Jaylon and DLaw are getting blamed because they're the ones being paid at an all pro level. Cant improve in other areas when those guys are making superstar money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They were all bad.

Jaylon and DLaw are getting blamed because they're the ones being paid at an all pro level. Cant improve in other areas when those guys are making superstar money.

Jaylon and D Law's contracts aren't stopping this team from doing anything. This organization's lack of playmakers on defense is their own doing base don how they have drafted and how they have handled free agency. They spent resources on that defense and so far none of them have paid off aside from Aldon who we got cheap. Law and Jaylon need to play better but how much they get paid doesn't excuse the coaches or the players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Frankly I thought one guy played well. Thomas. That was it.

Thomas has always played well for us. Kind of small and to hold up too long at MLB though.

It's funny. On defense, the guys who make the least play the best. Thomas, ASmith, XWoods, AWoods, Hill, Diggs.

The big money guys blow chunks. Jaylon, DLaw, Crawford, Poe. Lee and LVE out. Brown out. Worley near the bottom.

kwcool619

Reaction score
They were all bad.

They need to have a good game vs Seattle. Jaylon could be good for shadowing Wilson.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I’ll say one thing for the dline. Let’s see if they start to round into form a bit as the weeks go on. No pre season seems to be hurting every team in some way. I think the dline is too good not too.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
He’s decent against the run, it’s the pass defense that bugs me. He’s always out of position or trailing the TE by 5yds....

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I thought he played well.
He played better in the second half. He was awful in the first.I think his knee is limiting him in certain ways.
He might be better as a o lb. He'll have to think less.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Joe Thomas was out there looking like Sean Lee today while Faylon Smith was busy swiping after 7-yard tackles.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'd love to see him come at blockers when he blitzes with more of a hitter mentality. He's so heavy and strong. If he really exploded instead of leading with his hands and playing patty cake or half hitting, he'd destroy blockers and cause all sorts of trouble on blitzes. He just doesnt seem to have that aggression and he doesn't like to thump.