Jaylon Smith thread *merged*

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
These last two weeks especially last week he looked like the weakest link, he's slow to recognize, can't shed blocks and certainly can't cover. This coaching staff is terrible if he's in the starting line up next week. I wonder what his pff grade will be it has to be above 29's last week lol. W
that's what's the most surprising, that he is very slow in the mental aspects of the game. always in the wrong place, always late reacting. he doesn't seem he wants to engage.....

with that said, with Lee and LVE out, we are thin at LB. not sure if we can replace him right now.

Cmac

Reaction score
Can't defend Jaylon.....but he's got a lot of company on the defensive side.....Jaylon Smith, Fall Guy Nominee for the defense.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
How’s that? They ain’t even durable enough to be reliable. Shut that dumb ish up.

Dude, they are both on injured reserve and could not possibly replace Smith next week. Take the hate goggles off and pick up on the obvious sarcasm! :laugh:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Surely some of the other linebackers could do just as well. I would give them a chance and see if pulling him off the field gets his head outta "I went to the Pro Bowl" and into "Ima gonna lose my job"

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Some of Jaylon's problem is clearly physical. Physically regressed starting the beginning of last year. At first it was just a slightly uneven gait. His running got more and more labored, and his ability to stack evaporated. Got totally stoned by the lightest bag in a *cumulative* 3 bag push at the Pro Bowl. Just couldn't plant and drive on one foot.

I had hoped he'd get better from whatever it was in the offseason. He got talked up in camp, but looked awful last week, and had some worse looks this week.

He's *physically* not right. Even if he were mentally on top of everything, which he's not, he'd still be a liablity.

If everyone were healthy, and we were playing our best players, Jaylon would not start, maybe not play.
I'd love to see him come at blockers when he blitzes with more of a hitter mentality. He's so heavy and strong. If he really exploded instead of leading with his hands and playing patty cake or half hitting, he'd destroy blockers and cause all sorts of trouble on blitzes. He just doesnt seem to have that aggression and he doesn't like to thump.
The raw aggression is there but the lunging tackles were prevalent at ND and now he refuses to plant & drive as a NFL veteran. He's using smoke n mirrors to look tough while protecting that knee is top priority. He's stealing reps from real LB's.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Surely some of the other linebackers could do just as well. I would give them a chance and see if pulling him off the field gets his head outta "I went to the Pro Bowl" and into "Ima gonna lose my job"
Absolutely

RoboQB

Reaction score
Just curious.
Did Jaylon Smith get on Twitter and ask mods for his own 'Zone thread?

Will there be some brand advertisement at the end of each page?

Does this thread require a clear-eye view?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These last two weeks especially last week he looked like the weakest link, he's slow to recognize, can't shed blocks and certainly can't cover. This coaching staff is terrible if he's in the starting line up next week. I wonder what his pff grade will be it has to be above 29's last week lol. W
I thought he played well this week. Not so much in Week 1.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yup lbers actually had a good game but the d line was still very bad. secondary wasn't much better
The biggest problem I noticed was the occasional missed assignment that left a Falcon receiver completely alone for an easy completion and long gain. Take out those 5-6 plays and the defense would have been pretty solid against a high powered passing attack, but as long as we give up those kinds of plays the defense will struggle. Playing well most downs doesn't do the job if giving up 30 yard gains to completely uncovered receivers.

Scotman

Reaction score
He won’t shed. No desire to take on blockers. That to me is the biggest issue.

It looks completely mental to me. Maybe not a conscious thing, but Jaylon seems to pick angles that protect himself first...make the play second. That half second of picking the safe route puts him in chase mode and not attack. Mentally he seems to think that he can make that adjustment and then use his speed to still make the same play. But...no one is fast enough in the NFL to hesitate and choose "safer" angles and still make amazing plays.

His nerve may have healed, but it looks like he's lost his nerve.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Didn't read through 7 pages of posts, but Jaylon is tied for 3rd leaguewide in tackles. He's not a liability.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't read through 7 pages of posts, but Jaylon is tied for 3rd leaguewide in tackles. He's not a liability.

Of course stats don't always tell the whole story. For example, if most of those tackles are after 4-6 yard gains they don't have as much of a positive impact as the mere number of tackles might suggest.

Smith does have a problem taking on blockers to stop the run at times, instead trying to move around them and allowing the ball carrier to get good yardage before getting in on the tackle.

That said, I saw much less of that problem Sunday, and it seemed he was using his quickness and speed more to attack and get past the blocker before the blocker had a chance to get in position. I thought Sunday was a good game for him - much better than Week 1.