Jeff Heath Finally Benched (update: injured with stitches)

acer941

Reaction score
I've said many times that I would like to see an upgrade to Heath.

I'm not defending the front office. I'm just making fun of Heath haters because they don't even study the game footage to have any clue of what actually happens. They Cowboys have had many Safeties that were way worse than Heath.

I said several times this off-season that I was interested to see Thompson in training camp because I had studied his game footage when he started 16 games in 2017 with the Giants. He played FS but I thought his build and lack of range might make him a good option at SS; however, that didn't pan out in the preseason because tackling was a problem for him. He has the instincts of a FS but lacks the range.

It is comical to attempt to use comments by McFarland as proof of anything. He didn't actually criticize Heath in the game but said he might be the weak link.

What stats have been provided? Missed tackles are not an official stat. Someone has to watch video and make guesses to come up with missed tackle stats.

You watch the play of Jeff Heath at 2:09 left in the 1st Quarter?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Barkley 65 yard screen pass (4th Quarter):
  • Jaylon was NOT "MAn'd up" on Barkley.
  • Lewis was the first defender and did nothing to slow Barkley.
    • This is a good example of where Brown has been better. Brown has a good ability to shed blocks.
  • Jaylon over-ran the play going too far to the outside.
  • Lee almost got there.
    • Lee has been great in this game and the Eagles game but this is one he probably would have made a few years ago.
  • Awuzie didn't slow him down. He should have at least made a diving attempt.
    • The coaches film is not available yet, but on the broadcast view it appears the WR might have held Awuzie.
  • Woods should have cut off the outside path.
    • I understand he wanted to make the tackle by going back inside but there were other defenders on the inside but none on the outside.
  • Safety Thompson was coming from the other side.
    • He just does not have the speed/range that Heath has to have a chance to run down a player like Barkley.
  • Byron Jones finally ran him down at the sideline.

Tate 16 yard reverse to the offensive-right (2nd Quarter):
  • Who made the tackle to save the 16 yard reverse by Tate from going for a TD? Answer Jeff Heath.
    • The DE DLaw was totally out of position on that play and neither LB was anywhere in sight on that side of the field.
    • The Giants had an OL out to restrict Heath's path laterally (sideways) which is the #1 issue the Cowboys LBs had in the Rams playoff game.
    • Heath managed to get around the block and make the tackle.

LOL............the speed and range of the great Heath!!!! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've said many times that I would like to see an upgrade to Heath.

I'm not defending the front office. I'm just making fun of Heath haters because they don't even study the game footage to have any clue of what actually happens. They Cowboys have had many Safeties that were way worse than Heath.

I said several times this off-season that I was interested to see Thompson in training camp because I had studied his game footage when he started 16 games in 2017 with the Giants. He played FS but I thought his build and lack of range might make him a good option at SS; however, that didn't pan out in the preseason because tackling was a problem for him. He has the instincts of a FS but lacks the range.

It is comical to attempt to use comments by McFarland as proof of anything. He didn't actually criticize Heath in the game but said he might be the weak link.

What stats have been provided? Missed tackles are not an official stat. Someone has to watch video and make guesses to come up with missed tackle stats.

Anyone that says they studied 16 games of footage on Thompson is smoking something strong. LOL

Heath sucks by any measure. Stats, game footage, watching him play on Sundays, whatever you want.

And to think you have studied this guy and cant figure that out is ridiculous.

last week you were trying to convince the board how good our DT's were. Michael Bennet shows up for one game and teaches you a lesson in what real DT play looks like.

Maybe you should study THAT footage.

acer941

Reaction score
Anyone that says they studied 16 games of footage on Thompson is smoking something strong. LOL

Heath sucks by any measure. Stats, game footage, watching him play on Sundays, whatever you want.

last week you were trying to convince the board how good our DT's were. Michael Bennet shows up for one game and teaches you a lesson in what real DT play looks like.

Anyone else notice Jeff Heath on this play?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Lol we have all come to terms he is the 10th or 11th best player among the defensive starters. He is a serviceable starter that occasionally makes plays. Would like to see him as a 3rd safety and special teams player, which would be the perfect role.

Last year of contract so we'll see what happens next year. Watch for a 2 year 4.5 million contract, haha.

If New England's head coach don't lure him away with a guaranteed SB ring ,Heath " might " possibly consider that offer o_O

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys DL and Bennett
  • Bennett's impact plays were primarily when he was playing DE.
  • When he did make an impact at DT it was generally when he stunted and rushed from the outside like a DE.
  • Bennett is spelled with 2 Ts.
  • The complaints have been focused on people wanting a big 1-tech DT. Bennett does not play 1-tech DT.

I didn't say I studied 16 games of Thompson. I said he started 16 games in 2017 and I studied him from that season.

The more a poster exaggerates about Heath, the more I know that poster does not review games.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Jeff Heath was benched at Halftime the Giants only scored 6 Points and had 124Yards (Giveortake a few). Take away the Barkley Lucky Screen and they completely shut down the Giants in the 2nd Half.

The Addition of Jourdan Lewis and Jeff Heath being benched may be the Start of a new Era for this Defense...

Not benched

Sydla

Reaction score

This seems to happen a lot with him. He bites on ball fakes and misdirection quite a bit and seems to lack awareness. Take that Goff run last year in the playoffs. Goff bootlegs to a first down because Heath is staring at the TE who is blocking the opposite direction. The excuse from the Heath crowd was he had responsibility to cover the TE but anyone with a brain can see that TE isn't running a pattern. He's blocking. Heath needs to have the awareness to see what's going on and react.

Instead he's flat footed staring at TE that isn't running a route and reacts too late to Goff running past him for a key first down.

And in fairness on that play you linked, Smith and Lee also didn't exactly bathe themselves in glory there either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
defense better because Lee is a better player than LVE
people keep saying this but ALL 3 Lbs play a lot of snaps TOGERHER Lee did NOT replace LVE.. Thomas did..I realized they shifted them around a bit but LVE is not an issue, we are better with all 3 playing together..hes young and still learning..hes only started like 14games..jeez

blueblood70

Reaction score
This seems to happen a lot with him. He bites on ball fakes and misdirection quite a bit and seems to lack awareness. Take that Goff run last year in the playoffs. Goff bootlegs to a first down because Heath is staring at the TE who is blocking the opposite direction. The excuse from the Heath crowd was he had responsibility to cover the TE but anyone with a brain can see that TE isn't running a pattern. He's blocking. Heath needs to have the awareness to see what's going on and react.

Instead he's flat footed staring at TE that isn't running a route and reacts too late to Goff running past him for a key first down.

And in fairness on that play you linked, Smith and Lee also didn't exactly bathe themselves in glory there.
UM I saw Witten do this 60times in his career, its play, the TE fakes a block than slips out but im sure you think you know more then Heath who is a Professional Football player who knows his assignment..

I guess NE should figure this out playing Ravens the 3TE package over in Baltimore and the QB destroyed the defense with runs just like this.. you have to check your man first then the QB and weve seen many QBs get out on runs because there wasn't an extra man to cover him.. heck Jones did this after Heath left a few times, had couple long runs..this is the new NFL offenses that make you check RPOs and QB runs by forcing you to either take the back/TE and they run or you bite on the QB and they dump it tp the Back/TE..Mobile QBs are changing the landscape and it snot all Heaths fault.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys Defensive Scheme
  • Shutting down Barkley as a rusher does not come for free.
    • Barkley had 28 rushing yards...
    • They over-focused on the RB by design of the game-plan.
      • That is the reason that the QB Jones had some success running the ball.
      • That is a good game-plan. Take your changes with the QB running but shut down Barkley.
  • The announcer, Booger McFarland, explained this type of play.
    • Notice #99 the 1-tech out in the flat.
    • Booger explained that there is a call for the 1-tech to cover that area in the Marinelli scheme.
    • Booger played 1-tech DT for Marinelli when the Bucs won the Super Bowl.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
people keep saying this but ALL 3 Lbs play a lot of snaps TOGERHER Lee did NOT replace LVE.. Thomas did..I realized they shifted them around a bit but LVE is not an issue, we are better with all 3 playing together..hes young and still learning..hes only started like 14games..jeez

Lee replaced LVE at WLB in the Nickel Defense which they play on the majority of snaps.

Joe Thomas came in when they played 3 LB sets (base).

Snaps Played:
Thomas 38%.
Lee 85%.
Jaylon 100%.

Sydla

Reaction score
UM I saw Witten do this 60times in his career, its play, the TE fakes a block than slips out but im sure you think you know more then Heath who is a Professional Football player who knows his assignment..

I guess NE should figure this out playing Ravens the 3TE package over in Baltimore and the QB destroyed the defense with runs just like this.. you have to check your man first then the QB and weve seen many QBs get out on runs because there wasn't an extra man to cover him.. heck Jones did this after Heath left a few times, had couple long runs..this is the new NFL offenses that make you check RPOs and QB runs by forcing you to either take the back/TE and they run or you bite on the QB and they dump it tp the Back/TE..Mobile QBs are changing the landscape and it snot all Heaths fault.

If you watch that play in the Rams game, it wasn't even close to what Witten does.

Witten often chips or makes a quick block and then slips out in front of the bootlegging Prescott. In that Rams play, the TE just continues to block down away from the bootleg. He has no chance to get into the pattern even if he wanted to. Goff is also already way in front of him so for the TE to even make a catch, Goff would have throw back across his body behind him. Heath got caught flat footed and didn't recognize what was happening.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The game-plan was to over-focus on stopping Barkley as a rusher.

Over-focusing on Barkley by design meant that the QB would have some opportunities to run the ball.

The choice:
A: Shut down Barkley and hold him to 28 yards rushing but give up some runs to the QB.

B: Shut down QB runs but take your chances of getting gashed by Barkley as a rusher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL............the speed and range of the great Heath!!!! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Heath is faster than average for an NFL Safety.

It is his speed/range that keeps him as the starter over Thompson.

Thompson does some other things better than Heath, but Thompson lacks speed/range.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboys DL and Bennett
  • Bennett's impact plays were primarily when he was playing DE.
  • When he did make an impact at DT it was generally when he stunted and rushed from the outside like a DE.
  • Bennett is spelled with 2 Ts.
  • The complaints have been focused on people wanting a big 1-tech DT. Bennett does not play 1-tech DT.

I didn't say I studied 16 games of Thompson. I said he started 16 games in 2017 and I studied him from that season.

The more a poster exaggerates about Heath, the more I know that poster does not review games.

LOL.......Im not the guy that angrily defended Chaz Green for 3 years as some kind of great talent. LOL

Now your doing it again with clowns like Heath and our horrid DT rotation.

Im now telling you that Bennett ACTUALLY has talent since you seem to have problems recognizing true talent. He has been doing it for years in the NFL.

Some of us can just watch a game casually and know talent when they see it. Im sorry you have to study these guys and still get it all wrong.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Heath is faster than average for an NFL Safety.

It is his speed/range that keeps him as the starter over Thompson.

Thompson does some other things better than Heath, but Thompson lacks speed/range.

Let me give you a hint..................BOTH GUYS SUCK!!!

catiii

Reaction score
I dislike the title of this thread. A LOT. .............the words "Benched?" "FINALLY?"
I'll add my own word: SERIOUSLY?? :facepalm: