Signed by Cowboys Jeff Heath signs four-year deal with Cowboys

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Well, blokes, there is no end to the Mediocrity Train and we all seem to be stuck at the railroad crossing.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm watching last years Miami game now on NFL game pass, Heath has already made 3 good hits!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He was due 1.6m on the RFA tender but that wasn't guaranteed.

Hard to judge without the numbers. Could lead to Wilcox's release(1.6m salary) or move to SS if BJones stays at FS.

I don't think he is any good but he did lead the team in INTs. IMO you don't draft or sign ST guys. You turn losers of position battles or fringe starters into STers. That way you improve your depth and quality of STers at the same time.

We remember the 2009 and 1995 drafts for Special Teamers.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
signing Heath to an extension is not a big deal to me, but end of the roster guys are the ones you try to replace with better cheaper players every year. If you remember a few years ago, they kept signing McCray because of his special teams play. The year he left the Harris became the special team ace, Harris left and Heath and others picked up the slack. Extending him a year or two is fine, but 4 years? Maybe they view him as a viable options to replace Church/Wilcox.

LittleD

Reaction score
Well, blokes, there is no end to the Mediocrity Train and we all seem to be stuck at the railroad crossing.

The Cowboys kept Bill Bates around for years and he was not an all pro. You can't afford to have all pros playing on special
teams and Heath is really good at special teams. I would submit that as a SS, he is better than Wilcox and has been
all last year.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys kept Bill Bates around for years and he was not an all pro. You can't afford to have all pros playing on special
teams and Heath is really good at special teams. I would submit that as a SS, he is better than Wilcox and has been
all last year.

He is no worse than Wilcox, and yes perhaps a little better.

LittleD

Reaction score
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v72/gocoogs/Cowboys/adidas_zpsutig9jad.jpg

Obviously, the coaching staff and the FO don't share your conclusion. He's actually better than most on the zone
give him credit for.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I probably like Heath more than most on here. He is one of the fastest players in the secondary, has good athleticism, and is a very good special teams player.

He was flying under the radar until he had the awful game against Calvin Johnson in his rookie season. Since then, he has been a target for a lot of negativity from fans. A lot of players have had bad days against Megatron, not to mention rookies. Speaking for myself (and probably the Cowboys)... I don't hold it against him.

Otherwise, he's played ok. The Adrian Peterson play still sticks with him but that wasn't his fault. He was going to put Peterson flat on his back until a couple of Viking players came along, caught AP before he hit the ground and pushed him across the goal line. Something like that almost never happens.

I'm all good with them tying him up through his prime.

DuDa

Reaction score
Obviously, the coaching staff and the FO don't share your conclusion. He's actually better than most on the zone
give him credit for.

He's soo good that he was backing up one of the worst safeties in the league.....

gmoney112

Reaction score
I probably like Heath more than most on here. He is one of the fastest players in the secondary, has good athleticism, and is a very good special teams player.

He was flying under the radar until he had the awful game against Calvin Johnson in his rookie season. Since then, he has been a target for a lot of negativity from fans. A lot of players have had bad days against Megatron, not to mention rookies. Speaking for myself (and probably the Cowboys)... I don't hold it against him.

Otherwise, he's played ok. The Adrian Peterson play still sticks with him but that wasn't his fault. He was going to put Peterson flat on his back until a couple of Viking players came along, caught AP before he hit the ground and pushed him across the goal line. Something like that almost never happens.

I'm all good with them tying him up through his prime.

original.gif

That play was whacky. Good stop by Heath though. He literally upended him straight into his teammates loving embrace.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Up and down on Heath at times. But still a very good and core ST's player. At times can be a liability at S, and at times he is in the right place at the right time.

I do like his attitude of take no prisoners....he hits, and he hits hard....he shows no fear, and that is what this team needs.

I still think and wish I kept a copy, for when he sacked Kirk Cousins a few years back. Cousins extended his hand as if Heath would help him up. Heath just looked at him and walked away....it was great...
We need that attitude from more players.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
original.gif

That play was whacky. Good stop by Heath though. He literally upended him straight into his teammates loving embrace.

Yep. That has been a point that fans who don't like Heath always bring up and it was actually a good play by him. Not a lot of folks stop AP on a dime and put him on his back. It is unfortunate that the other Viking caught him and helped him across because Heath would have gotten a lot of good recognition for that play.