Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

MikeT22

Reaction score
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
Gallup tore his ACL before being given the contract extension.
Aiyuk got his deal and just tore his acl and will miss the season. Does anyone really think SF wouldve given him the extension if he had torn his acl late last season?

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok? If they restructured they had to pay long-term cash and commit multiple years at a high cap hit. The contract absolutely depressed his value at the time.

The Browns are now stuck with a $22.5m cap hit for Amari next season, when he won't be on the team.

Davante Adams went for a 1st and 2nd when he had no long-term contract obligations and then a 3rd when he did - almost identical. The value changes by 2 rounds for both of them.
Because of what the Browns did this offseason, not due to the contract they took on from the Cowboys. Cooper held out earlier this offseason and the Browns, increased his pay by $5MM and then converted most of that base salary this year to a bonus which they then spread out over two more dummy years created.

So the Browns are eating $22MM next year in dead money because of decisions they made a few months ago, not because the original contract to Cooper was so bad.

Jerry got worked in the Cooper trade because he just wanted him off the roster. That's it. The fact people defend Jerry here, given the mountain of things he's screwed up is pretty funny.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Because of what the Browns did this offseason, not due to the contract they took on from the Cowboys. Cooper held out earlier this offseason and the Browns, increased his pay by $5MM and then converted most of that base salary this year to a bonus which they then spread out over two more dummy years created.

So the Browns are eating $22MM next year in dead money because of decisions they made a few months ago, not because the original contract to Cooper was so bad.

Jerry got worked in the Cooper trade because he just wanted him off the roster. That's it. The fact people defend Jerry here, given the mountain of things he's screwed up is pretty funny.
He held out because he was no longer happy with the contract he signed with the Cowboys...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
So a WR combo of Lamb and a Gallup 8 months removed from torn ACL surgery was comparable to a WR combo of Cooper and Lamb?

Gallup was NEVER half the WR Cooper was and he was 8 months removed from tearing his ACL!!!!!!

This is what I mean by Jerry constantly diluting the talent on this team and somehow expecting us to take it to the next level.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It’s obscene how badly the Cowboys front office gets hosed in trades. A 4th for Lance looks awfully shrewd for the 9ers in hindsight. Cowboys only good trade in forever was for Hank.
The Cooks and Gilmore trades were good, but the Hankins trade was probably the best.

And then they didn't bring him back when they probably should have lmao

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I did not say they were on par with each other. But Gallup was not a bad player. He was younger, cost less. And did not check out in games as Cooper did at times .
What does it matter if you cannot play? When you go 12 - 5.....you should feel as if you are getting close. So you make moves to go to the next level

You do not replace Cooper with Gallup (and injured Gallup I might add) and view that as a move that will help you take the next step!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Can’t say for sure if this was the actual reason Cooper was moved, but probably….

It’s fairly obvious Jerry can be very petty, childish even….and I distinctly recall his radio comments after the game at KC that Cooper missed because he had Covid and didn’t get vaccinated. Insinuated he wasn’t a “team player.”

Pretty sure Lamb was concussed during that same game and they were very short on WR in a close loss. Jerry was quite pissed. Easy enough to fish out the threads here if anyone cares enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
He held out because he was no longer happy with the contract he signed with the Cowboys...
So what? The point is the contract the Cowboys traded to the Browns was not such an awful contract that depressed his value. If anything, the fact Cooper held out shows that the contract was actually tilted towards the Browns and Cooper didn't like that.

In the end, its usually the simplest answer that is the most correct. Jerry wanted Cooper gone and took a mediocre deal from Cleveland to make it happen.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And who was it who just gave Cooper that $20M salary?

Constant attempts to cover up his giant and constant errors at GM.

Traded a 1st for Cooper when everyone was else was offering a 2nd.

Traded him out of spite for a 5th and we gave up a 6th, so really 1/2 a 5th.

Browns got a 3rd for him three years later(and older).

Jerry Jones, bad at football. Real bad.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is the kinder and gentler version of Jerry.
He calmed down after all the criticism he received after his last radio interview. If I ran the station I wouldn’t have him on anymore. Only provides is a bunch of huhs and BS.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is wrong.
You can keep saying it's wrong but you've shown nothing to prove this claim.

The contract, in fact, was a very team friendly deal that carried no long term cap implications in the form of future roster bonuses, etc. It was simply a base salary contract at that point that made it easy to restructure, which the Browns promptly did 2 days after acquiring Cooper. Factor in Jerry's overall incompetence in matters like this historically and it's pretty easy to see what happened here. The Browns got into trouble with the contract due to their own decisions, not what the Cowboys forced them to do contractually.

Jerry had his impulsiveness used against him here. He wanted Cooper gone so bad that teams used that against Jerry. It's not the first time or the last time, Jerry's emotions and frankly, big mouth, have hurt him. Jerry botched the Cooper trade. He's likely going to botch a few more here along the way.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

he said it out loud. its all about the money!!!!

he will never admit it was stupid and he got duped...just like getting duped on the when he paid a first for him, then giving him a large contract only to cut him a year later....just like getting duped trading for Trance......and paying your 3rd stringer 5M!!!!! and then complaining you can't afford to sign Henry

Jerry is an idiot GM

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m fine with a Jerry roast but what he’s saying makes perfect sense. It was a cash dump. They explained this already just people didn’t understand it or want to get it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he said it out loud. its all about the money!!!!

he will never admit it was stupid and he got duped...just like getting duped on the when he paid a first for him, then giving him a large contract only to cut him a year later....just like getting duped trading for Trance......and paying your 3rd stringer 5M!!!!! and then complaining you can't afford to sign Henry

Jerry is an idiot GM
He didn’t get duped though. They were going to cut him due to salary.