Jerry: Garrett brilliant but needs playoff wins

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Respectfully, I would just say it’s ok to defend an NFL head coach with an argument of “needing more time and patience” when the coach is in his first 2-4 years. In their 8th year? It’s time to produce playoff wins (plural) or hit the highway.

Garrett has had more than enough time and patience. No excuses. Win now or pack your bags, I realize we have an owner who has a strange set of expectations...just saying what I believe should happen under “normal” NFL circumstances with appropriate expectations.

I think that's fair. Let's say that 2010-2013 were the rebuilding, time and patience years.

Playoff win in 2014 and one bad call away from the NFC Championship
2015 = lose your starting QB and go through a carousel of Weeden, Cassell, etc.
2016 - Make the playoffs with a rookie 4th round QB and go down to the wire with the Green Bay Packers (all I know was that this was a good game and there was an amazing play made - I have to say that I didn't actually see that game).
2017 = Terrible year. Lots of roster warts but could have and should have done better, no excuses.
2018 = TBD - Linehan has been not great and the early part of the season was bad, but credit for improving in November and hopefully get a nice playoff win in the wild card round.

I think a better OC could do more with the offense right now, just someone less stale, but no doubt it's the achilles heel. My view is that if the Cowboys make the playoffs, you can go into 2019 as the lame duck. If they win the Wild card, 1 year extension. Each win after that is an additional year.

Miss the playoffs and I'm fine with a new coach.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Mike-McCarthy-Green-Bay.png
9 years , 2 playoff berths .

LMAO ... Mike McCarthy must be laughing his butt off ! .. Just imagine ...

cern

Reaction score
jerry has simply stated the obvious. not that he would do anything to change. even subtle messages need to have a hint of substance. he's just demonstrating his love of ambiguity once again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. He thinks Cooper was the last piece. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.
It's on Garrett and Dak.
The defense is fine, and I expect now that they have confidence from shutting down the Saints, they'll play even better.
But the team on the field will go as far as Dak can take them. He has to complete passes, he has to get rid of the ball in time, and he's got to have better ball security.
And, then, Garrett has to coach the perfect game because you know the Eagles are going to pull out all the stops.
My Dak trust is shaky right now. I hope he can convince me otherwise.

pitt33

Reaction score
In fairness to Garrett, he should have more playoff wins. 2014 was stolen by the league and 2016 took a magical play to happen.

I'm not trying to make excuses, Garrett has his warts, but it isn't as though the COwboys have gone into games and gotten blown out.
He should have more playoff wins but he doesn’t. The non-catch in 2014 was, by rule, at the time, the right call. The Murray fumble lost that game. And in 2016 the Cowboys were down 21 - 3 right out of the gate because Garrett rested his players after week 16 and they were freaking flat as all get out. That’s directly on him.

This year is everything for him.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If we are going to play this game of what ifs and things that happened, the 2014 "win" against Detroit was likely a loss if the referees don't miss a pretty obvious pass interference

Or likely a no play, since they missed a pretty obvious face mask on the same play by the WR (TE). In fact, I would say, without the face mask grab, there would not have been anything to call on that play at all since the pulling of the face mask cause the defender to interfere in the first place.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We finally have subs on the Oline that can fill in when players go down and perform good enough. I can't really remember any time in the past years where we have had more than 1 guy who could come in and play well enough. They are not perfect but they are good enough. Honestly the biggest weakness on the offense is the ability to make a play if we fall behind the sticks due to penalties. If we get a hold, the drive is pretty much over most of the time. We are not good enough from a passing perspective to overcome bad plays or penalties. Consistency from the QB position is much needed!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jerry has simply stated the obvious. not that he would do anything to change. even subtle messages need to have a hint of substance. he's just demonstrating his love of ambiguity once again.
When Ihear Jerry say his infamous quote of “being comfortable with ambiguity”, I translate that to mean this: “I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and people are still gonna buy my product, win or lose”.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Should be make the Conference Championship or fired.

Funny you say Conference Championship because that’s what I was thinking also. I truly believe we sweep in December, and win the first rd of the playoffs. However, I can’t see us winning pass that but if Jason wins 5 straight I don’t see how he gets fired. I hope Jerry holds him to that standard.

cern

Reaction score
When Ihear Jerry say his infamous quote of “being comfortable with ambiguity”, I translate that to mean this: “I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and people are still gonna buy my product, win or lose”.
it gives him a perpetual way out regardless of what he says. one day he says he's never fired a coach during the season. a couple of days later he fires wade.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s right. Playoff wins or nothing,as in divisional playoff wins.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if they don't make the playoffs garrett is gone and so is linehan and other coaches this is a big season for some of the players and the coaches

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. He thinks Cooper was the last piece. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.
Like in 2016..

it is up to the players.

Not as much Garrett.

This team is run like a corporation.

The HC, the Player Personnel, the son, the players.

No matter what happens..

it's a collective group and they share the wins and retool after the losses.

We will be Ok.

Really..

next year looks like our best shot.

We need to address safety with Earl Thomas to really take the D to the next level.

Then find a competitive TE in the draft or FA.

Then we see.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”
No offense to Jerry, but you needed to equip this offense with the correct personnel before finally doing something about it half way through the league. You knew we didn't have a #1 receiver, and we still don't have a threat at TE. So when you drop the ball, don't complain at someone else.

Having said that, I totally agree with Jerry.

Dwight

Reaction score
Normally I don't agree with Jerry conducting this type of behavior but he is clearly sending a message to Jason.

I also feel he knows that coaches like Urban Meyers (another fake retirement in my opinion), Jim Harbaugh (due to rumors and looking into options) and Mike McCarthy (I don't want him as coach) are available.

Also keeping Kris Richard and promoting him as Head Coach is a factor.

Last edited: