News: Jerry: "I'm looking for reasons to keep Garrett"

nobody

Reaction score
Jerry is Teflon to the media. I’ve never seen anyone who’s taken the public ridicule as he has. He stands in the fire while his cash register continues ringing.

His contributions he was inducted for has enabled him to withstand the ridicule and criticism by plotting a brilliant scheme for revenue with his stadium which isn’t totally dependent on the local fans. Just the local businesses.

I think if people were making me a billionaire, basically paying me to pursue my hobby...I'd sure as heck be okay with being their media punching bag. I'd take that criticism and laugh all of the way to the bank.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think if people were making me a billionaire, basically paying me to pursue my hobby...I'd sure as heck be okay with being their media punching bag. I'd take that criticism and laugh all of the way to the bank.
That’s basically what he’s doing.

Like I’ve always said. We have a funny way of showing our displeasure with the product he’s producing with record revenue.

leeblair

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this or what it means.......lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...is-looking-for-reasons-to-keep-jason-garrett/

Jerry Jones is “looking for reasons” to keep Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on October 21, 2019, 3:06 PM EDT

The Cowboys front office repeatedly expressed public support for Jason Garrett last week in the midst of a three-game losing streak. Both Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones said Garrett’s job was not on the line in Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

They weren’t lying.

The Cowboys owner, in fact, said he wants to keep Garrett beyond this season after Garrett’s contract expires.

“I am looking for reasons. I’m looking for reasons to keep him,” Jones said. “It’s merited here. It’s hard to get an effective coach and get it locked in with all you have to do retool and redo
:facepalm:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't think the unwashed masses are looking for reasons. I think they have 9 years worth of them.

That's just my opinion, of course.
All this "unwashed" talk makes me want to hit up the hot tub... with some Revolver Blood & Honey.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The media and fans have created this “ hot seat” for Garrett. I don’t believe that’s how Jerry feels at all.

Jerry simply doesn’t extend his coaches before contract is up.

leeblair

Reaction score
Meaning, "As long as we're competitive enough to keep selling tickets and merchandise, and making money, why change?"
Winning/excellence is no longer the driving force of the Cowboys franchise.
This is a completely different setup than what made the Dallas Cowboys the champions we grew to admire.
They should change their name from the "Cowboys" to the "Mirage".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Meaning, "As long as we're competitive enough to keep selling tickets and merchandise, and making money, why change?"
This is a completely different setup than what made the Dallas Cowboys the champions we grew to admire.
Jerry has proven he can sell the hell out of mediocrity. He really has no equal.

We aren’t the Cowboys franchise many of us grew up loving. The sooner we realize that the better we’ll be able to accept and tolerate what Jerry’s created. Or walk away which many have.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The NFC East is our SB. As long as we are competitive in the division and make the playoffs every couple years Jerry is happy. Don't tell me he wants to win at all cost.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcQTjsepPgqbG04O6qLVR8BU_5Dnvlp9bl439iChfAVbNmOQCuXw

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_H8EWa016Kd0qUEhtQHH6WH-fEpZHqH0L49g_dZJGKFDDozeRrg

CPanther95

Reaction score
Weird that he's gone from "Everything is fine, Jason isn't going anywhere." to "I'm trying to come up with a reason to keep him".

Kinda sounds like he already has someone else he was planning on bringing in.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again it makes zero sense to not extend Garrett now if you truly believe he's an elite coach who would be highly sought after if he was a free agent coach.

He can say whatever he wants. He's leaving his options open based on the outcome of this season. It's plain as day.

Not exactly. What's Jerry's downside for waiting? Jason's going to maybe go to another team, or he might end up in a bidding war? Pretty low likelihood of that happening, given the team they have and the fact that the Cowboys job is one of the most prestigious positions in the league.

What's Jerry's upside in waiting? He keeps a fire lit under the coach for the season, for one. He gets the whole league talking about his franchise the entire offseason leading up to an extension, which is free PR. And he keeps his options open if a clearly better coach shakes loose. That's unlikely to happen now that Payton re-signed, but you never know.

There's negligible downside in waiting. There's value in waiting. It makes sense to wait.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is “looking for reasons” to keep Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on October 21, 2019, 3:06 PM EDT

“I am looking for reasons. I’m looking for reasons to keep him,” Jones said. “It’s merited here. It’s hard to get an effective coach and get it locked in with all you have to do retool and redo

I suppose hiring a winner who will bring his winning staff (*cough* Urban Meyer *cough*) would make that transition easier, Jerry, you lazy bastage!