News: Jerry: "I'm looking for reasons to keep Garrett"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not have any jealousy towards the man. there is no reason why jones does not want a strong headcoach to coach the riches franchise in the nfl. but no he would rather put the franchise in the hands of a coach that no other team would even consider being there headcoach.
Jerry has a great reason in his enormous ego. He doesn’t want a HC to be good enough to take more credit than him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
When you're old, tired, and have already accomplished everything you set out to do in life, this is what's important to you.

"I’m comfortable. We have established some security apart from the won-loss. He represents the organization well on and off the field.”
this is it in a nutshell the he is comfortable and winning a championship means nothing to him the jerry jones that bought the dallas cowboys in 1989 would of fired this reject long ago and Urban meyer a much better coach is avalible

Nav22

Reaction score
I do not have any jealousy towards the man. there is no reason why jones does not want a strong headcoach to coach the riches franchise in the nfl. but no he would rather put the franchise in the hands of a coach that no other team would even consider being there headcoach.
Who do you have in mind??? Which of these great, proven head coaches are available???

He hired Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, remember? He’s perfectly fine with hiring a “strong” head coach if he thinks it will lead to Super Bowls.

Jason Garrett has received other HC offers before and he was the NFL Coach of the Year not too long ago. His overall W/L record is pretty good. You could do worse than Garrett on the sideline.

Hell, we’re on pace for a 4th division title in 6 years! Who gets credit for that???? Not Jerry, not Garrett..... hmmmm....

lwehlers

Reaction score
this is it in a nutshell the he is comfortable and winning a championship means nothing to him the jerry jones that bought the dallas cowboys in 1989 would of fired this reject long ago and Urban meyer a much better coach is avalible
I do not know that meyer would make a good nfl coach he seems to burn himself out to fast. nfl spotlight is much brighter then the college level. also there are no cupcake games on the nfl schedule like the college teams have.

IceBowler

Reaction score
it's kinda like - I mean, it seems as if this is something between these two guys ... It's kinda like being concerned with World Hunger ... What's the point?

lwehlers

Reaction score
Who do you have in mind??? Which of these great, proven head coaches are available???

He hired Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, remember? He’s perfectly fine with hiring a “strong” head coach if he thinks it will lead to Super Bowls.

Jason Garrett has received other HC offers before and he was the NFL Coach of the Year not too long ago. His overall W/L record is pretty good. You could do worse than Garrett on the sideline.

Hell, we’re on pace for a 4th division title in 6 years! Who gets credit for that???? Not Jerry, not Garrett..... hmmmm....

that all great but look what happens when we face the top teams in league this team always ends up on the losing end. he does not have the ability to get his team over the top. we always seem to get outplayed in big games look at the packers and rams games for instant those teams were prepared and ready at the start of games. when have the cowboys ever done that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
that all great but look what happens when we face the top teams in league this team always ends up on the losing end. he does not have the ability to get his team over the top. we always seem to get outplayed in big games look at the packers and rams games for instant those teams were prepared and ready at the start of games. when have the cowboys ever done that.
I don’t guess it’s possible we are losing to the top teams because they are a better team?

Nav22

Reaction score
So last night wasn’t a big game?

The Wild Card game vs Seattle wasn’t a big game?

Still waiting on these “strong” and available head coaches you had in mind.

EJK24

Reaction score
Reading this article I don't see how this equates Jerry keeping Garrett.

He said he wants to find reasons to keep him. Basically, he wants Garrett to succeed, what owner wouldnt say they want that?

The fact that he says he is looking for a reason means he hasn't seen one yet and obviously isnt totally sold on that idea or he would have done so already.

I still think Garrett is auditioning this season and without winning the NFC, he still likely gets canned.

We will see.

lwehlers

Reaction score
So last night wasn’t a big game?

The Wild Card game vs Seattle wasn’t a big game?

Still waiting on these “strong” and available head coaches you had in mind.
I cannot win this one all of you garrett supporters just keep on believing that we will win a superbowl with clown as our head coach. when this team gets manhandled again in the playoffs I guess it will not be because of garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I cannot win this one all of you garrett supporters just keep on believing that we will win a superbowl with clown as our head coach. when this team gets manhandled again in the playoffs I guess it will not be because of garrett.
Supporting the best Puppet we’ve had this era isn’t connected to believing he’ll win a SB.

I’d say the Clown that’s preventing more success is in the Skybox. And why we have a Puppet on the sidelines.

Nav22

Reaction score
Great list of viable head coaching candidates that you provided!

“Strong” ones as you mentioned previously!

LOL you talk as if making the playoffs is a given with any coach. 12 teams out of 32 qualify. It’s not easy to win the division. 8 teams out of 32 do that.

Maybe you should stick to college football. I suggest rooting for Alabama!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this or what it means.......lol
Your confusion is due to thinking like you always think instead of ever trying to understand how Jerry Jones thinks. You are far FAR from being the only person.

Jones latest comments make me laugh because he is saying exactly what I expect he would say following an impressive home win. Jones has not forgotten the last three straight losses but I am confident his concerns about Garrett are far less today compared to his thoughts yesterday afternoon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he’s not giving Garrett a contract because he wants him to coach with fire? What happens when Garrett has a new contract? Does he coach with less fire? I mean if a coach needs to be in the last year of a contract to coach better than that says quite a bit about the coach.

And of course there is value in waiting. If the Cowboys don’t make the playoffs, Jerry can walk away without any long term financial commitment.

That’s why he’s waiting. Which is what I basically said at the beginning of this thread.

Not going to just repeat what I said above, but it was more than what you replied to. But yeah, people tend to perform better in their contract year. You see it with players all the time. Why wouldn’t you take advantage of it if, as we seem to agree, there’s no downside. We’ve seen him do it with Garrett already, and a lot of people concluded as you are here. Right before they inked a five year extension.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm curious, how does the Dallas media treat Jerry overall? - cause I know if he was here in NY, the guy would be getting killed.
I think it’s probably like it must have been in NY when George Steinbrenner was acting the fool as Yankees owner. I assume the NY press raked him over the coals but what was going to change?

In Dallas, there are several local media types that tell it like it is, although there are less than there were before DMN writer Randy Galloway retired.

IMO, the best, most honest critics of Jerry can be found on Dallas all sports radio station “The Ticket”. Personalities like George Dunham, Craig Miller, Bob Sturm, Dan McDowell, Mike Rhyner and Corby Davidson. They all openly laugh at the Jones circus, while mindful that Jerry doesn’t care and is financially insulated. Dale Hansen, the sports anchor at Dallas TV Channel 8 is a big Jerry critic.

The biggest suck ups are found on the Cowboys “flagship” radio station, “The Fan”, which broadcast Cowboys games and carries Jerry and Stephen’s “softball question” radio show. Jerry and Stephen are never asked tough questions and are often allowed to wax on incoherently with old war stories and anecdotes that often don’t even make sense. Jerry is unlistenable. Often incoherently saying things that leave the listener wondering what that has to do with the question. It’s a joke.

David Moore, the Dallas Morning News beat writer is a fair and occasional good critic of the Jones circus.
Babe Laughenberg, the color analyst on the radio broadcast is usually fair both ways. As opposed to Brad Sham (very aptly named) the “voice of the Cowboys” radio broadcasts is an embarrassing suck up nearly as bad as Mickey “Jones” Spagnola.

All in all, the Dallas sports media people cover the Cowboys fairly, but the good ones are also not shy about calling Jerry out. Bob Sturm of The Ticket often says Jerry is an embarrassment as a GM. Just depends on who you listen to. I avoid “The Fan” and the Cowboys radio broadcast because they are on the Jones payroll and “never is heard a discouraging word.”

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Again it makes zero sense to not extend Garrett now if you truly believe he's an elite coach who would be highly sought after if he was a free agent coach.

He can say whatever he wants. He's leaving his options open based on the outcome of this season. It's plain as day.

Exactly...………..if Garrett is this all world awesome head coach that would be sought after on the open market by multiple teams, then why not extend him now. The Saints just extended Payton mid-season, so why is Garrett not getting extended mid-season?

The Garrett jock riders can make excuses all day for why, but we all know the bottom line is that Jerry is keeping his options open depending on how the season ends.