News: Jerry: "I'm looking for reasons to keep Garrett"

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not exactly. What's Jerry's downside for waiting? Jason's going to maybe go to another team, or he might end up in a bidding war? Pretty low likelihood of that happening, given the team they have and the fact that the Cowboys job is one of the most prestigious positions in the league.

What's Jerry's upside in waiting? He keeps a fire lit under the coach for the season, for one. He gets the whole league talking about his franchise the entire offseason leading up to an extension, which is free PR. And he keeps his options open if a clearly better coach shakes loose. That's unlikely to happen now that Payton re-signed, but you never know.

There's negligible downside in waiting. There's value in waiting. It makes sense to wait.

I get what you are saying Idgit, but that is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Garrett.

What if your wife said "I'm looking for reasons to not divorce you, I truly am"...…………..you taken that as a compliment:muttley:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jerry has a great reason in his enormous ego. He doesn’t want a HC to be good enough to take more credit than him.
:hammer:

Diehard is right, Jerry wants to win as long as he is seen as getting the credit. That is why you will never see Jerry hire a big name head coach, that head coach would get all the credit and Jerry could not stand that. Just like Jerry could not stand Jimmy Johnson getting all the credit by saying "what Jimmy did was no big deal, any one of 500 coaches could have won with the talent I assembled".

Shane612

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcQTjsepPgqbG04O6qLVR8BU_5Dnvlp9bl439iChfAVbNmOQCuXw

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_H8EWa016Kd0qUEhtQHH6WH-fEpZHqH0L49g_dZJGKFDDozeRrg
WTH?
:angry:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this or what it means.......lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...is-looking-for-reasons-to-keep-jason-garrett/

Jerry Jones is “looking for reasons” to keep Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on October 21, 2019, 3:06 PM EDT

The Cowboys front office repeatedly expressed public support for Jason Garrett last week in the midst of a three-game losing streak. Both Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones said Garrett’s job was not on the line in Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

They weren’t lying.

The Cowboys owner, in fact, said he wants to keep Garrett beyond this season after Garrett’s contract expires.

“I am looking for reasons. I’m looking for reasons to keep him,” Jones said. “It’s merited here. It’s hard to get an effective coach and get it locked in with all you have to do retool and redo

"I’m comfortable. We have established some security apart from the won-loss. "

Despite the win-loss, Jerry is comfortable. Says all you need to know. Garrett ain't going anywhere unless he rocks the boat and makes Jerry uncomfortable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Again it makes zero sense to not extend Garrett now if you truly believe he's an elite coach who would be highly sought after if he was a free agent coach.

He can say whatever he wants. He's leaving his options open based on the outcome of this season. It's plain as day.

Jerry is keeping the *drama* alive. Jerry is an entertainer. Most valuable sports entertainment franchise in the world.

23c.gif

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this or what it means.......lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...is-looking-for-reasons-to-keep-jason-garrett/

Jerry Jones is “looking for reasons” to keep Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on October 21, 2019, 3:06 PM EDT

The Cowboys front office repeatedly expressed public support for Jason Garrett last week in the midst of a three-game losing streak. Both Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones said Garrett’s job was not on the line in Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

They weren’t lying.

The Cowboys owner, in fact, said he wants to keep Garrett beyond this season after Garrett’s contract expires.

“I am looking for reasons. I’m looking for reasons to keep him,” Jones said. “It’s merited here. It’s hard to get an effective coach and get it locked in with all you have to do retool and redo
Keep looking JJ....Maye at the bottom of the bottle after a really bad game!

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I'm curious, how does the Dallas media treat Jerry overall? - cause I know if he was here in NY, the guy would be getting killed.
He is getting killed? How about Mara? Goodells #1 owner, the guy that Goodell appoints to screw the Cowboys!

cern

Reaction score
"looking for reasons to keep him" implies he has not yet found those reasons.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you are saying Idgit, but that is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Garrett.

What if your wife said "I'm looking for reasons to not divorce you, I truly am"...…………..you taken that as a compliment:muttley:

I wasn’t suggesting it’s an endorsement. I think Jerry just likes running his contracts out like this so he’s not eating anything. I’m not sure they do extend Garrett, anyway. I think they want avoid reason to, but it’d obviously be a very unpopular move.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I think it’s probably like it must have been in NY when George Steinbrenner was acting the fool as Yankees owner. I assume the NY press raked him over the coals but what was going to change?

In Dallas, there are several local media types that tell it like it is, although there are less than there were before DMN writer Randy Galloway retired.

IMO, the best, most honest critics of Jerry can be found on Dallas all sports radio station “The Ticket”. Personalities like George Dunham, Craig Miller, Bob Sturm, Dan McDowell, Mike Rhyner and Corby Davidson. They all openly laugh at the Jones circus, while mindful that Jerry doesn’t care and is financially insulated. Dale Hansen, the sports anchor at Dallas TV Channel 8 is a big Jerry critic.

The biggest suck ups are found on the Cowboys “flagship” radio station, “The Fan”, which broadcast Cowboys games and carries Jerry and Stephen’s “softball question” radio show. Jerry and Stephen are never asked tough questions and are often allowed to wax on incoherently with old war stories and anecdotes that often don’t even make sense. Jerry is unlistenable. Often incoherently saying things that leave the listener wondering what that has to do with the question. It’s a joke.

David Moore, the Dallas Morning News beat writer is a fair and occasional good critic of the Jones circus.
Babe Laughenberg, the color analyst on the radio broadcast is usually fair both ways. As opposed to Brad Sham (very aptly named) the “voice of the Cowboys” radio broadcasts is an embarrassing suck up nearly as bad as Mickey “Jones” Spagnola.

All in all, the Dallas sports media people cover the Cowboys fairly, but the good ones are also not shy about calling Jerry out. Bob Sturm of The Ticket often says Jerry is an embarrassment as a GM. Just depends on who you listen to. I avoid “The Fan” and the Cowboys radio broadcast because they are on the Jones payroll and “never is heard a discouraging word.”

Thanks for the overview, very interesting, i appreciate it.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Scapegoat of the year 2018: Scott Linehan.......... scapegoat of the year 2019: Rod Marinelli
Ob la di, ob-la-da, life goes on