Jerry is intimidated by this

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Die, I quit buying anything branded cowboys a long while ago... I will not support JJ and his ego....and I have a grandson who loves the cowboys, and now has to ask why I don't watch the games....pathetic coming from a guy who is 59 and been a fan since about 8 years old.
I feel your pain bro. My 3 sons grew up watching Cowboys games with me. They are all in their 30s now and all 3 think the Cowboys are a joke. My oldest son is almost 35, and he was in 7th grade when the Cowboys were last in a SB.

TheViper7

Reaction score
Who could JJ hire that would make us/all of you stand up and say "whoa!, the old man really is fed up with all this mediocrity and finally gets it, I never thought I'd see the day!!!" Someone all of us could seriously get on board with 100%, no bones about it, homerun hire. Serious question. Who is it

TheViper7

Reaction score
Who could JJ hire that would make us/all of you stand up and say "whoa!, the old man really is fed up with all this mediocrity and finally gets it, I never thought I'd see the day!!!" Someone all of us could seriously get on board with 100%, no bones about it, homerun hire. Serious question. Who is it

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before throwing out names, my answer starts with what Troy said yesterday. This entire organization needs to be overhauled starting at the top.

Before a head coach could be hired, a real football guy with success and credibility would have to be hired as GM or some position of power that had complete control of football operations and hiring of people. Someone like Troy Aikman.

That is step one.

lk8701

Reaction score
I am a lifelong Golden Stare Warriors fan and I can unequivocally say that having a high IQ owner makes all the difference. The Warriors were a perennial laughingstock before Joe Lacob bought the team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep and I'll go one further, he was ecstatic when Parcells failed to do anything. He got what he wanted from the hiring but didn't want more. If Parcells, after taking control from Booger and pushing him into the background, had succeeded, that would have cemented the fact that Booger is not "football man". And for us, that might have been even worse.

We talk about what coaches we'd like, assuming there is a change, but there is this prerequisite list that must be met and at the top is the most unusual of any team. The HC must not have a strong personality. He must not compete for attention with the owner but how many HC's do you see actually seek the spotlight? Most don't want to do the required pc's so that doesn't really rule out a lot of candidates.

What is the most unknown element of this franchise is the involvement of Booger and Idiot Boy Child with the actual area usually reserved for coaches. And All or Nothing did nothing to dispel my thoughts about how much they are involved. That could be a detriment with some coaches but if they are really involved, would that not explain how Garrett could last so long? How many decisions do you think Garrett is allowed to make on his own?

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but if I were the owner of any NFL franchise, the one thing I would want to be known for was hiring the right GM to run my team and even if I did decide to be the GM, then hiring the right HC's would be next. Booger has failed miserably in the first and is among the worst with the second. Just what is "football man" in his mind? Isn't knowing the right "football man" to put in charge a start?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Still not a guarantee, but if this team finishes as poorly as they have been playing lately, say 6-10 or 5-11, Jerry probably can’t justify keeping his personal Tom Landry anymore, despite wanting to.

But...IF Jerry has to hire a new HC, based on his history and a weird psychosis about not having a HC that can outshine him, don’t expect some big name guy to be named.

Because for some strange reason, Jerry is intimidated by real football people who have had major success. Rather than hiring a HC that gives HIS TEAM the best chance to WIN, he wants to hire someone that gives him the best chance to feel good about himself.

I’m sure someone with some expertise in psychology could write a book on why this billionaire is so insecure and even petty about his credentials. So bottom line....if Garrett gets fired, don’t expect some big name coach with a history of NFL success as a head coach to be hired. And I wouldn’t expect an up and coming young star college coach like Lincoln Riley either. It will probably be another mid-level NFL Asst Coach few have ever heard of.

Too much star power makes Jerry uncomfortable and intimidated. And by now, we should all know his personal comfort has top priority over winning.

Bingo! His shoirt lived relationship with Dan Reeves should tell everyone on this site Jerry has to bully football people into kowtowing - read Parcells - or hire people who will be puppets and have no business being head coach. Dave Campo, Jason Garrett, and

Barry Switzer

cern

Reaction score
The reference to the “ 500 coaches “ by Jerry was actually related to that current back to back championship team.

Which Jerry was right about. Anyone including Jerry and Barry could win with that team. Unfortunately they left at least one more on the table.
Tell me something I don't already know.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Still not a guarantee, but if this team finishes as poorly as they have been playing lately, say 6-10 or 5-11, Jerry probably can’t justify keeping his personal Tom Landry anymore, despite wanting to.

But...IF Jerry has to hire a new HC, based on his history and a weird psychosis about not having a HC that can outshine him, don’t expect some big name guy to be named.

Because for some strange reason, Jerry is intimidated by real football people who have had major success. Rather than hiring a HC that gives HIS TEAM the best chance to WIN, he wants to hire someone that gives him the best chance to feel good about himself.

I’m sure someone with some expertise in psychology could write a book on why this billionaire is so insecure and even petty about his credentials. So bottom line....if Garrett gets fired, don’t expect some big name coach with a history of NFL success as a head coach to be hired. And I wouldn’t expect an up and coming young star college coach like Lincoln Riley either. It will probably be another mid-level NFL Asst Coach few have ever heard of.

Too much star power makes Jerry uncomfortable and intimidated. And by now, we should all know his personal comfort has top priority over winning.

My thoughts exactly

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I feel your pain bro. My 3 sons grew up watching Cowboys games with me. They are all in their 30s now and all 3 think the Cowboys are a joke. My oldest son is almost 35, and he was in 7th grade when the Cowboys were last in a SB.
Bob, I am lucky, I got to watch this team win all 5 rings... our kids and grandkids, not even a stinking playoff run.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

I don't see three wins left on the schedule.........the Raiders benefit greatly by our futility..........this team has no direction at all.......you're right, Jerry is scared to death the HC might get credit for something and he wouldn't.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

It's classic narcissism, Bob.

Grandiose sense of self-importance, preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success and power, belief in personal uniqueness, lack of empathy and understanding, constant need for admiration and envy, etc.

It's been a popular topic recently.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I was pretty sure this fun little factoid was established 25 years ago...............