Jerry is intimidated by this

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Still not a guarantee, but if this team finishes as poorly as they have been playing lately, say 6-10 or 5-11, Jerry probably can’t justify keeping his personal Tom Landry anymore, despite wanting to.

But...IF Jerry has to hire a new HC, based on his history and a weird psychosis about not having a HC that can outshine him, don’t expect some big name guy to be named.

Because for some strange reason, Jerry is intimidated by real football people who have had major success. Rather than hiring a HC that gives HIS TEAM the best chance to WIN, he wants to hire someone that gives him the best chance to feel good about himself.

I’m sure someone with some expertise in psychology could write a book on why this billionaire is so insecure and even petty about his credentials. So bottom line....if Garrett gets fired, don’t expect some big name coach with a history of NFL success as a head coach to be hired. And I wouldn’t expect an up and coming young star college coach like Lincoln Riley either. It will probably be another mid-level NFL Asst Coach few have ever heard of.

Too much star power makes Jerry uncomfortable and intimidated. And by now, we should all know his personal comfort has top priority over winning.
You can't really blame a billionaire who has everything but when it comes to basic feelings, he's like a child. A child just says me me me me me, all the time and that's what Jerry's doing.

GenoT

Reaction score
What keeps Jerry Jones keeping-on as GM?

To win at least ONE Super Bowl without ANY involvement whatsoever by Jimmy Johnson (the Switzer SB win doesn’t count, as it was with a team built by Jimmy), and to do so with a coach who will publicly allow Jones to claim as much credit as he wishes.

This is the single most significant factor in why Jerry will likely never officially retire as GM

Last edited:

ksadler1

Reaction score
.....hahahah... spot on Bob. I've thought that also. Jerry wants to feel that he's competent in football, so doesn't hire anyone higher than his own football IQ..lol.. ......So sad, ...so sad.

Most people on this site have a higher football IQ than Jerry...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't really blame a billionaire who has everything but when it comes to basic feelings, he's like a child. A child just says me me me me me, all the time and that's what Jerry's doing.
And another reason why he doesn’t want the hassle of someone challenging him. Great leaders like to surround themselves with smart, talented people. Weak leaders surround themselves with people they feel superior with. That’s the way Jerry likes it. No hassles with someone saying, “Jerry, that’s a bad idea”.

physeter

Reaction score
Still not a guarantee, but if this team finishes as poorly as they have been playing lately, say 6-10 or 5-11, Jerry probably can’t justify keeping his personal Tom Landry anymore, despite wanting to.

But...IF Jerry has to hire a new HC, based on his history and a weird psychosis about not having a HC that can outshine him, don’t expect some big name guy to be named.

Because for some strange reason, Jerry is intimidated by real football people who have had major success. Rather than hiring a HC that gives HIS TEAM the best chance to WIN, he wants to hire someone that gives him the best chance to feel good about himself.

I’m sure someone with some expertise in psychology could write a book on why this billionaire is so insecure and even petty about his credentials. So bottom line....if Garrett gets fired, don’t expect some big name coach with a history of NFL success as a head coach to be hired. And I wouldn’t expect an up and coming young star college coach like Lincoln Riley either. It will probably be another mid-level NFL Asst Coach few have ever heard of.

Too much star power makes Jerry uncomfortable and intimidated. And by now, we should all know his personal comfort has top priority over winning.

Spot on, really spot on.

Sorry days to be a Cowboy fan

Dre11

Reaction score

Another theory...lol

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I expect some fanboy grateful of the opportunity to coach America's Team who will let Jerry call the shots. Best thing to happen to us in a long time was Bill Parcells who came in and shaped this team in spite of Jerry. I'm really getting tired of players and coaches grateful to be a Cowboy. I want someone with a job to do.

CCBoy

Reaction score
At least the fans haven't forgotten what it takes to win or what having the guts to challenge the reality of what that includes. We are a loyal to the end group, but with pride, not acceptance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure someone with some expertise in psychology could write a book on why this billionaire is so insecure and even petty about his credentials.
A few of us keep mentioning this but people read what they want to read but here goes again:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...onality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Narcissistic personality disorder

Signs and symptoms:
  • Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
________

Is Jones a textbook narcissist? Admittedly no. For example, he has demonstrated empathy for others publicly on numerous occasions, especially for current or former players. All cases are not exactly the same though.

robbieruff

Reaction score

I only hope that the fact that Jerry closer to the grave than not will prompt him to go against his base instincts (which you’ve ofcourse nailed) and bring in a competent, pedigreed guy - my first choice is Jim Harbaugh with Kris Richard a strong second choice. But first things first...get Jason the heck outa Dodge for the love of every holy!?!

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
What keeps Jerry Jones keeping-on as GM?

To win at least ONE Super Bowl without ANY involvement whatsoever by Jimmy Johnson (the Switzer SB win doesn’t count, as it was with a team built by Jimmy), and to do so with a coach who will publicly allow Jones to claim as much credit as he wishes.

This is the single most significant factor in why Jerry will likely never officially retire as GM

After two decades you'd think even the stubborn likes of Jerrah would concede that ship has sailed. Talk about a mule-headed stubborn bass-catcher. And the money pot continues to grow for him in spite of his abject failure to deliver a successful product. It bears all the earmarks of a deal with the Devil.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few of us keep mentioning this but people read what they want to read but here goes again:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...onality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Narcissistic personality disorder

Signs and symptoms:
  • Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
________

Is Jones a textbook narcissist? Admittedly no. For example, he has demonstrated empathy for others publicly on numerous occasions, especially for current or former players. All cases are not exactly the same though.
While Jerry has a few of these traits, I don’t think he’s a full blown narcissist. Despite all his stubbornness and arrogance, he is a kind person at times, especially with his family. He’s a terrible football executive, but he’s not a complete jerk.

I see Jerry’s biggest problem as actually his insecurities- especially with football people that have lots of respect and accomplishments. For whatever reason, Jerry doesn’t act like most secure, wise leaders who surround themselves with talented people. On the other hand, he likes having people who are less accomplished in his employ, probably to help him feel better about his insecurities. I’m certainly no expert in this area, so I could be all wrong, Lol!

ArtClink

Reaction score
After two decades you'd think even the stubborn likes of Jerrah would concede that ship has sailed. Talk about a mule-headed stubborn bass-catcher. And the money pot continues to grow for him in spite of his abject failure to deliver a successful product. It bears all the earmarks of a deal with the Devil.

And you'd think Jerry's hand would be tired after 22 years of giving the fans the finger.

ArtClink

Reaction score
While Jerry has a few of these traits, I don’t think he’s a full blown narcissist. Despite all his stubbornness and arrogance, he is a kind person at times, especially with his family. He’s a terrible football executive, but he’s not a complete jerk.

I see Jerry’s biggest problem as actually his insecurities- especially with football people that have lots of respect and accomplishments. For whatever reason, Jerry doesn’t act like most secure, wise leaders who surround themselves with talented people. On the other hand, he likes having people who are less accomplished in his employ, probably to help him feel better about his insecurities. I’m certainly no expert in this area, so I could be all wrong, Lol!

Exactly!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I am a lifelong Golden Stare Warriors fan and I can unequivocally say that having a high IQ owner makes all the difference. The Warriors were a perennial laughingstock before Joe Lacob bought the team.

I'm a Spurs fan and can say that having a great coach and FO, makes a big difference. It's weird being a Cowboys and Spurs fan, they are polar opposites in how a Sports team is run and organized.

ShortRound

Reaction score
And another reason why he doesn’t want the hassle of someone challenging him. Great leaders like to surround themselves with smart, talented people. Weak leaders surround themselves with people they feel superior with. That’s the way Jerry likes it. No hassles with someone saying, “Jerry, that’s a bad idea”.

Which was why I wanted Romo and Garrett to succeed, because I think they knew this.

I think they were close to getting it done, despite Jerry's disfunction. But without Romo, Garrett won't survive.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Yep and I'll go one further, he was ecstatic when Parcells failed to do anything. He got what he wanted from the hiring but didn't want more. If Parcells, after taking control from Booger and pushing him into the background, had succeeded, that would have cemented the fact that Booger is not "football man". And for us, that might have been even worse.

We talk about what coaches we'd like, assuming there is a change, but there is this prerequisite list that must be met and at the top is the most unusual of any team. The HC must not have a strong personality. He must not compete for attention with the owner but how many HC's do you see actually seek the spotlight? Most don't want to do the required pc's so that doesn't really rule out a lot of candidates.

What is the most unknown element of this franchise is the involvement of Booger and Idiot Boy Child with the actual area usually reserved for coaches. And All or Nothing did nothing to dispel my thoughts about how much they are involved. That could be a detriment with some coaches but if they are really involved, would that not explain how Garrett could last so long? How many decisions do you think Garrett is allowed to make on his own?

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but if I were the owner of any NFL franchise, the one thing I would want to be known for was hiring the right GM to run my team and even if I did decide to be the GM, then hiring the right HC's would be next. Booger has failed miserably in the first and is among the worst with the second. Just what is "football man" in his mind? Isn't knowing the right "football man" to put in charge a start?

No coach can ever overcome jeri and his psychotic need to be dead center of all things cowboys

and he's set up the next generation to do the same:

0Bllog7.jpg

They're likely to double down on his approach because changing would be an insult to their father.

Can you imagine the questions they'd have to field if they hired a GM after Jeri's was 6 feet under and the Cowboys won a Super Bowl in 3-5 years of the new GM taking over football operations?

Everyone would be shouting from the heavens: "See, I told you so, look how wrong Jerry was to not have hired a GM from the get go"

we're so screwed