Jerry Jones accused of sexual assault

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Well, he's not just the owner (as we well know). He's the President, General Manager, etc.

Let me provide an example.

I own a bar. I am also a bartender at the bar. During the course of my duty as a bartender I recklessly over-serve someone who then goes out and kills someone (DUI). The victim then sues me and the bar for our negligence.

Its an old common law theory--if the servant is about the master's business, and the servant commits a tort, the master is liable because the servant is his agent. Its the Laws way of saying that the deep pocketed master does not get to shield himself from liability by simply employing an agent to do his business and commits a tort in the process.

Read the wiki article I referenced.

Where I think the plaintiffs case really breaks down is attempting to prove that sexual assault is in the course of employment.

I think the difference between your example and Jerry's is that your mistake took place in your place of business while you were on the clock and providing a service. Jerry was just out somewhere enjoying himself. The only was I could see the Cowboys being liable for anything is if the assault took place within AT&T Stadium or at an official Cowboys function where Jerry was actively taking part in his role as owner and GM.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Well, he's not just the owner (as we well know). He's the President, General Manager, etc.

Let me provide an example.

I own a bar. I am also a bartender at the bar. During the course of my duty as a bartender I recklessly over-serve someone who then goes out and kills someone (DUI). The victim then sues me and the bar for our negligence.

Its an old common law theory--if the servant is about the master's business, and the servant commits a tort, the master is liable because the servant is his agent. Its the Laws way of saying that the deep pocketed master does not get to shield himself from liability by simply employing an agent to do his business and commits a tort in the process.

Read the wiki article I referenced.

Where I think the plaintiffs case really breaks down is attempting to prove that sexual assault is in the course of employment.

and it clearly is not in the course of employment

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Nothing good, and I mean nothing good comes from putting yourself in that situation. Sooner or later, it will catch up to you. The sad thing is that how we want to view the team we all follow more closely than your average fan, is and has been growing ever farther away for the last 20 years or so and it isn't changing anytime soon. This is just fodder for the masses to confirm what we already know: the owner is not only a mismanaging football buffoon, but lacks the good sense that god gave a rubber duck.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I'll just comment that I wouldn't trust a dancer at a Men's Club as far as I could toss her.

And the select pictures were chosen for a warped view from the start. Where are the other pictures? That starts out suspect...and maybe's don't change a person's right to a view of innocence in such matters...from the start. I also brought into conversation that the lawyer representing Jerry has contacted law enforcement upon the issues involved. It already is in a criminal venue to start.

No, the situation warrants a hands off as to accusation and stereotyping, at least to this fan. Until merit has been weighed by the courts.

The two sentences in bold seem to contradict one another.

Tawney88

Reaction score
I'll just comment that I wouldn't trust a dancer at a Men's Club as far as I could toss her.

And the select pictures were chosen for a warped view from the start. Where are the other pictures? That starts out suspect...and maybe's don't change a person's right to a view of innocence in such matters...from the start. I also brought into conversation that the lawyer representing Jerry has contacted law enforcement upon the issues involved. It already is in a criminal venue to start.

No, the situation warrants a hands off as to accusation and stereotyping, at least to this fan. Until merit has been weighed by the courts.
But you'll believe a flanddering old pervert who tells half truths all the time and could have a serious issue with drinking and supposedly you make no judgements on stereotypes, hypocritical much.

Aikbach

Reaction score
If he is found guilty he should be pressed to sell the team in disgrace like Donald Sterling.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If he is found guilty he should be pressed to sell the team in disgrace like Donald Sterling.

As a single incident, what Jerry is accused of is worse than what Sterling did. Sterling was really being punished for his many different past offenses with the latest being the one that pushed everything over the ledge. Is Jerry's one offense bad enough to be judged in the same manner? It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I do want to say this after reading the papers...how is she suing the Cowboys as if they're a person? How can you sue a football team for not monitoring it's owner? The way it's worded seems to indicate that the Cowboys, a football team and not an actual person, should have placed monitoring and sanctions on it's own owner? So she's suing the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Cowboys themselves because they didn't monitor and protect women more against it's own owner?

Wouldn't the owner of the Cowboys be the one who would put such things in place? The reading of that all seems extremely stupid to me.

I wonder if he hasn't had some issues in the past that were kept quiet. Maybe the organization was told to keep an eye on the old perv and
they ignored that. Who knows.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Not at all, the hands off, is in accusing Jerry based upon the charges by shady types of people. No compromise at all...

I don't have problems in calling a bad habit just that, but criminal actions are a completely different arena.

Oh, and initial office meetings there is no charge attached...
Common sense doesn't cost a thing, until one ignores the connections.

I don't care much for the attached crowd with you, although...my writing leaves a lot to common sense. Don't like that...move on.

If interested on topic, that is another story. I'll talk with someone being friendly, all day long.

I gave up hall monitors, well before getting my college degree.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
As a single incident, what Jerry is accused of is worse than what Sterling did. Sterling was really being punished for his many different past offenses with the latest being the one that pushed everything over the ledge. Is Jerry's one offense bad enough to be judged in the same manner? It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Prove your stance out beyond tossing a stereotype and label...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

How do you figure that?

Comment #1 makes a statement about strippers. Oh, and by the way, anybody with even a lil knowledge about them knows this is a fair statement. He was actually being kind.

Comment #2 says he will withhold judgment. Based on comment #1 its reasonable to not jump on the bash Jerry bandwagon unless there is something other than the word of a money grabbing hoe trying to extort money. Why would anyone just assume Jerry assaulted anyone in this situation when everything about it would seem to indicate anything but assault?

No contradiction whatsoever in the 2 statements/comments. Even those who struggle with reading comprehension really would have to stretch things to see a contradiction.