Jerry Jones: Dak stats are “garbage time” [Personal Opinion Included]

12+88=7

Reaction score
Hmmmm 8 hours later and still no answer as to when garbage time begins.. I need to know so I can know which of Dak's stats I can disregard. I mean how did the Rams, Seahawks, Falcons, and Giants all "let" the Cowboys come back and take leads against them.. And did Cleveland's defense stop "letting" the Cowboys score after the first, second or third TD drive? Or were they just trying to keep the score close so that people wouldn't turn the channel? Um jess axin..

Here's the thing about the idiots who want Dak gone at any cost.. For him it's a no lose situation. If he signs here he gets to play for his boyhood team and continue building on what he started... If he signs elsewhere he will get to pick from whichever contender he likes best and go to a better team and better run organization (not hard to do) and will be that much more likely to hoist a Lombardi in his career than he would in Dallas. And still make more money in the next 5 years than everyone on this site combined..

I will try to answer your question. Last year there was a thread about garbage time which had stats with Winston being number one and Prescott number two. The threshold in the article was 18 points when garbage time began. It doesn't end till the team ties or goes ahead.

By this criteria the only two games that qualify are the Atlanta and Cleveland games. Prescott had thrown for 35 yards when Dallas fell behind by17 points. Prescott threw for 450 yards, meaning 415 yards and 1 TD were in garbage time.

In the Cleveland game Prescott threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs in garbage time.

When adding these two games you get 715 yards and 3 TDs occurred during garbage time. Prescott threw for1856 yards and 9 TDs before being injured.

That comes out to 38.5% of yards and 33% of TDs occurred during garbage time, which is slightly higher than the garbage time percentages in 2019.

khiladi

Reaction score
I will try to answer your question. Last year there was a thread about garbage time which had stats with Winston being number one and Prescott number two. The threshold in the article was 18 points when garbage time began. It doesn't end till the team ties or goes ahead.

By this criteria the only two games that qualify are the Atlanta and Cleveland games. Prescott had thrown for 35 yards when Dallas fell behind by17 points. Prescott threw for 450 yards, meaning 415 yards and 1 TD were in garbage time.

When adding these two games you get 715 yards and 3 TDs occurred during garbage time. Prescott threw for1856 yards and 9 TDs before being injured.

That comes out to 38.5% of yards and 33% of TDs occurred during garbage time, which is slightly higher than the garbage time percentages in 2019.

And in 2019, more than half of Dak’s TDs came against the Giants and Commanders, two horrible teams in complete disarray.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Okay you just said two different things.. You said that the article said garbage time began at 18 points down.. But then you say Dak had 35 yards when they fell behind by 17 against ATL. By your own cited criteria that would not qualify. But let's say for the sake of argument the threshold is 17 ..
Against ATL your numbers are slightly off.. Dak completed 7 of 10 passes for 71 yards in the first quarter.. I'm not interested in anyone's mindless narrative that there was "garbage time" in the first quarter.. and the fact that this was a one score game by the middle of the 3rd quarter renders that entire narrative null and void.

Against Cleveland the Cowboys were not down by 17 until 5 seconds left in the first half.. So all his yards and TDs in the first half were by definition NOT garbage time.. Dak had 202 yards and 2 TDs up to that point.. So people would want to consider the entire second half garbage time? Can you say "agenda?"

Now if someone were to say down more than two scores in the 4th quarter is garbage time I will accept that. But having watched as much football as I have, and seen the amazing comebacks that I have seen, and more importantly understanding how paranoid football coaches are about the frailty of a lead, I will categorically reject any attempt to call anything that happens before the 4th quarter of an NFL game "garbage time." It simply doesn't ring true and it's certainly not borne out by the facts. It's fed by people and their made up stories about how "The Cowboys offense did nothing in the first half of the game" or " the Cowboys can only move the ball against prevent defenses.." The ONLY time you see a prevent defense is at the end of the first half and then in the 4th quarter with a sizeable lead. If you don't believe me go watch the games.. Watch the defensive line coming after Dak with abandon because they know we aren't running. Watch the blitzes in long yardage situations. People often associate extra dbs in the game with "prevent defense." Again, that's the stuff of stupid fans.. We are more intelligent than that.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dalton beat the Giants and Dak has one win after five starts in an offense built for him because Atlanta, a team known for blowing a whole bunch of multiple score leads this whole year, forgot to fall on the ball..

Incorrect. Dak gets credit for the Giants win. He’s 2-3.

The other Cowboys QBs are still looking for their first win. They are 0-4.

khiladi

Reaction score
Incorrect. Dak gets credit for the Giants win. He’s 2-3.

The other Cowboys QBs are still looking for their first win. They are 0-4.

No, Dalton won that game. Dak has proven himself BELOW the league average in QB rating NFL comebacks when he needs a TD to score within the last four minutes. Last year, he didn’t win a single game when down by half-time. He’s been that way for years.

Nothing of Dak’s history shows he would have beat the Giants..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And in 2019, more than half of Dak’s TDs came against the Giants and Commanders, two horrible teams in complete disarray.

Yet another empty and erroneous claim which is easily debunked by the facts..

Dak threw 30 TDs in 2019.. He threw 7 each against the Giants and Commanders.. That's 14.. for the math impaired 14 is NOT more than half of 30.. nice try though.. Please hang up and try your call again..

khiladi

Reaction score
Yet another empty and erroneous claim which is easily debunked by the facts..

Dak threw 30 TDs in 2019.. He threw 7 each against the Giants and Commanders.. That's 14.. for the math impaired 14 is NOT more than half of 30.. nice try though.. Please hang up and try your call again..

Oh excuse me, he threw 2 less than HALF OF HIS TOTAL TDs against the two bottom dwellers of the league.. That makes him all the more amazing that he threw 2 against the garbage Dolphins to make it half of all his thrown TDs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Oh excuse me, he threw 2 less than HALF OF HIS TOTAL TDs against the two bottom dwellers of the league.. That makes him all the more amazing that he threw 2 against the garbage Dolphins to make it half of all his thrown TDs.

If you're gonna post numbers then post them accurately or you're gonna get called on it. Happens to the best of us.. you'll live.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its all about perception. One half of the crowd thinks Dak single-handedly brought the team back from huge deficits the first three games, and in the meantime was on pace for a record setting season. The other half see that Dallas fell so far behind those first 3 games that the opposing defenses were able to slip into prevent style defenses as early as the 1st quarter. This allowed Dak to start piling up stats by the truck load.

What is 'incorrect and misrepresented' about the latter part? It seems to me that the latter part is more accurate than the former, but again, its all about perception. If I'm on an opposing defense I too would probably ease up quite a bit if I had a 24 point lead way before half time.
There is actually truth in both.

Not that I would use the word "singlehanded" (it always takes a team), but it did take Dak playing exceptionally well to dig out of a hole and give the team a chance. And he was able to make some downfield throws even with teams being in a prevent defense at least some of the time. Ultimately, opponents weren't willingly giving up 30-40 points.

But it's also true that team's getting a lead allowed some larger than normal stats. Nobody would argue that 450-500 passing yards is a normal number that could be expected of Dak - or any QB for that matter.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Jerry and the Jones have been garbage for over 25 years and counting.

They should know garbage when they see it or smell it.

Course, I completely disagree with ol' Jerry. Nothing new.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, once down by 18 points everything is garbage time - even if the team pulls within 7, or 3 or 1, it's still garbage time? That doesn't make much sense. How is playing with a deficit that is clearly not overwhelming, and in which the defense is clearly doing it's level best, still garbage time?

Consider these scenarios ...

GAME 1: 4th quarter, down by 4 points, but the team was briefly down by 18 in the 2nd quarter

GAME 2: 4th quarter, down by 4 points, but the biggest deficit in the game at any point was 14.

Both games stand at exactly the same place … is the defense in GAME 1 somehow going play more relaxed and intentionally allow more because 2 quarters earlier they were up by 18, or will the defense be in a dog fight just as the defense in is in GAME 2? Are the snaps somehow less meaningful?

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, Dalton won that game. Dak has proven himself BELOW the league average in QB rating NFL comebacks when he needs a TD to score within the last four minutes. Last year, he didn’t win a single game when down by half-time. He’s been that way for years.

Nothing of Dak’s history shows he would have beat the Giants..
So you're giving Dalton credit for a win in a game he didn't start in or score any points? With half the attempts?

Wow.

Tommy

Reaction score
I’m not blaming Dak for losses. He goes as the team goes. I like Dak.

My problem with Dak is we can’t build a good enough team to win a championship while paying him like he is elite.
Most of CowboysZone can't understand this. You typed too many words.

Just tell them if your a Dak lover or a Dak hater.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah, stats prescott didn't win any games this year, unless you're giving him credit for kicking that onside kick.
No QB alone wins games by himself, but clearly he was a very big part of those 2 wins.

12+88=7

Reaction score
So, once down by 18 points everything is garbage time - even if the team pulls within 7, or 3 or 1, it's still garbage time? That doesn't make much sense. How is playing with a deficit that is clearly not overwhelming, and in which the defense is clearly doing it's level best, still garbage time?

Consider these scenarios ...

GAME 1: 4th quarter, down by 4 points, but the team was briefly down by 18 in the 2nd quarter

GAME 2: 4th quarter, down by 4 points, but the biggest deficit in the game at any point was 14.

Both games stand at exactly the same place … is the defense in GAME 1 somehow going play more relaxed and intentionally allow more because 2 quarters earlier they were up by 18, or will the defense be in a dog fight just as the defense in is in GAME 2? Are the snaps somehow less meaningful?

That was the scenario setup in article. Just going by that.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Fair enough. It seems pretty obvious the criteria used in the article is flawed.

It seems flawed, but when putting every QB under the same criteria, in 2019 Winston was first and Prescott second. The percentage for Prescott was around 35%.

Prescott's percentage this year was 38% using same criteria. That's consistent.