Jerry Jones: Dak stats are “garbage time” [Personal Opinion Included]

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Dak put up 7 points against Atlanta in year 2, with Frederick, Martin and Collins still in and couldn’t post double digit scoring against any winning team, despite the running game. And this was in his second year in an offense tailored for him and all his supporters blamed it on Smith being out, but when the whole OL is shot they are using a loss against the Steelers number 1 ranked defense when led by a guy Garrett Gibbert, who had like one week in this offense, who actually put up 19 points with only Zach Martin back in the line-up, 12 more than the major powerhouse that was Atlanta back then with only Smith out as proof of Dak carrying this franchise..

Since you want to bring up the Atlanta game (Dak's second season without his OT and Zeke), did you know (I am sure you do) that Zeke ALREADY has more loses without Dak than Dak has without Zeke?

Pretty amazing for a QB that people like you said was being carried by those surrounding him.

And the second year in an offense tailored for him? LOL...you are the same one whining about the team being built for Romo...now you want to say that the team was build for Dak?

Why has the Cowboys offense (now that the deadweight that is Dak is gone) only been able to put up 2 TDs in 4 full games?

Reactions: G2

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems flawed, but when putting every QB under the same criteria, in 2019 Winston was first and Prescott second. The percentage for Prescott was around 35%.

Prescott's percentage this year was 38% using same criteria. That's consistent.
Sure everyone is under the same criteria, but if a QB is on a team that never gets down by 18 to begin with he isn't affected by the flaw in the criteria. Both QBs might be in identical situations in the 4th quarter - the same deficit facing a defense trying to do the same thing to keep them from scoring - but it's called garbage time for one and not the other.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would dispute this assessment for the simple reason that some of the turnovers occurred past midfield and as such the defense should not get a pass for allowing a team to march 50+ yards for a TD just because there was a turnover. Any turnover outside our own 30 yard line the defense should at least be held accountable to holding them to a FG. Something they only accomplished once in the first 5 games as I recall. If they had done it a few more times this team might have been 4-1 under Dak and not 2-3. Yes the offense struggled against better defenses last year but if you recall I posted before last season began that that might be the case with Moore being SO inexperienced as a play caller. I anticipated that better DCs would undress him. And they did. I didn't think it would be 6-8 games but I fully expected Moore to be in over his head some last year. To his credit he (and Dak) were both considerably better this year. Still not perfect but there were signs that they were getting there. The main thing I will be looking for them to fix next season is the slow start business. Garrett and Linehan were masters of the opening drive TD. I mean I think it was 11 or 12 times in 2016 they scored a TD its opening drive. I can't remember the last time this team did that. My theory is that it comes down to the initial scripted plays. I think Moore focuses too much on trying to get defenses to show him all their coverages and not enough on just trying to score. We come into every game knowing what our favorable matchups are.. Yet it often takes us a quarter and a half to start exploiting it. Do that from the opening gun and I suspect the slow starts will become a thing of the past.
Well, the turnovers was our Achilles heal this year. It’s not winning football. We can’t expect to begin games with those type of deficits expecting to overcome them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It seems flawed, but when putting every QB under the same criteria, in 2019 Winston was first and Prescott second. The percentage for Prescott was around 35%.

Prescott's percentage this year was 38% using same criteria. That's consistent.

Frankly I would question whether they applied the same criteria to every QB. Most of these opinion pieces are slanted with agenda. People make up imaginary lines that support their preconceived notions. Watch the games.. decide for yourself. Typically if you look hard enough for something you will usually find it. 40% of Dak's yards came in 40% of his games.. What an incredible revelation.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak denial simply the finest fantasy trip there is....a brief history of a Dak Troll's life.

2017=Here comes Jerry with Daks big juicy contract.
2018=Goff and Wentz got one Daks should be close by?
2019=This is the year here comes Jerry with the Big Bucks!
2020=Collins, Coop, Zeke, even Jaylon got the Big Bucks yahoo Dak's is only a matter of days now!
2020 June=What the TAG?????#$#$#(%(%*#@*@))
2021=#$%*#%&#*&%#*%& The Cowboy released Dak Prescott today and thank him for all that he offered and wish him the best!

Dak-Trolls for years now you have posted and posted nonsense!

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Didn't people of your ilk tell us that Dalton would more than make up for the absence of Dak? Didn't you also tell us that anybody can produce what Dak can given "all the talent on offense"?

Why has the Cowboys only produced 2 TDs in 4 full games without Dak?
1. Horrible protection

2. Players dropping easy TD Passes (Ceedee & Gallup)

3. 2 QBs started games, that had a total of 6 passing attempts between them prior to their start

phildadon86

Reaction score
1. Horrible protection

2. Players dropping easy TD Passes (Ceedee & Gallup)

3. 2 QBs started games, that had a total of 6 passing attempts between them prior to their start
OK. Just to play devils advocate here. While I definitely dont disagree with you regarding DiNucci and Gilbert.

What is Daltons excuse? Dak had the same horrible protection. Unless your contention is that Martin as a guard is a 30 point swing. Dalton played like crap against Zona with Martin in and with him out.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying Stephen and Jerry are all in on Dak. Again, if they really liked Dak, he would have already been signed.

They are correct here, his stats are garbage time. And Stephen and Jerry know they can't build the team Dak needs to win while he's taking up a good chunk of hte cap. Get a top 5 QB in the draft, it's time to move on.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying Stephen and Jerry are all in on Dak. Again, if they really liked Dak, he would have already been signed.

They are correct here, his stats are garbage time. And Stephen and Jerry know they can't build the team Dak needs to win while he's taking up a good chunk of hte cap. Get a top 5 QB in the draft, it's time to move on.
Just wondering. Whos a top 5 QB if Fields and Lawrence are gone?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I just find it so amazing that there are users here that know as fact what Jerry and Stephen are thinking. Is there some kind of way to watch and listen in to all the conversations that Jerry and Stephen have that all of us don't know about? This is going to shock you but it takes both parties to agree on a contract. The biggest and main reason no contract got agreed upon is Todd France, Prescott's agent that oh by the way was fired from the agency he worked for because of how he handled Prescott's contract negotiations.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The fallacy is that Jerry did not say all of Dak's stats were garbage time, and in fact he said there was nothing wrong with the offense except the turnovers. It seemed he was only talking about stats being inflated beyond what would be normal, which isn't exactly controversial because we all understood 450-500 yards per game wasn't going to be normal for Dak ... or any QB.

As for the contract, there actually are business elements that come into play, and the reported disagreement between 4 and 5 years doesn't seem unreasonable because there are financial reasons for the position of each side.

I suspect Dallas' mistake was in not getting a deal done when Dak still had a year on his contract, but at that point Dallas may have wanted to see another year of Dak before committing. Waiting may have solved one problem by helping the team decide it wanted Dak longer term, but created another by taking away the ability to spread the cap of a 4 year extension over a 5 year time period.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

But they're really not in garbage time.

black label

Reaction score
Hey remember when you said Lamb wasnt explosive and he was slow? Good times. You have about as much football knowledge as a potato.
Lamburger has done nothing, Lamburgers high school body is going to last a hot minute in the nfl lol

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lamburger has done nothing, Lamburgers high school body is going to last a hot minute in the nfl lol
Haha. So when Lamb was playing well. You denied ever having said it. Now that hes playing with a high school QB you're no longer denying your completely stupid take. Amazing.

Reactions: G2

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
OK. Just to play devils advocate here. While I definitely dont disagree with you regarding DiNucci and Gilbert.

What is Daltons excuse? Dak had the same horrible protection. Unless your contention is that Martin as a guard is a 30 point swing. Dalton played like crap against Zona with Martin in and with him out.
Yes Dalton played horrible against the Cardinals, I wont dispute that. But Gallup did drop an easy TD pass and Zeke kept fumbling

Now let me play devils advocate...

Garrett Gilbert had never started an NFL game before the Steelers game. The offense scored more points and essentially the same amount of yards as we did in the Rams game WITH Dak.

So are we going to cherry pick which games we want to use for our arguments or are we(not u particular, but all the dak homers) going to have a genuine discussion?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes Dalton played horrible against the Cardinals, I wont dispute that. But Gallup did drop an easy TD pass and Zeke kept fumbling

Now let me play devils advocate...

Garrett Gilbert had never started an NFL game before the Steelers game. The offense scored more points and essentially the same amount of yards as we did in the Rams game WITH Dak.

So are we going to cherry pick which games we want to use for our arguments or are we(not u particular, but all the dak homers) going to have a genuine discussion?

We can have a genuine discussion. But using Gilbert in his first start isnt a fair comparison to Dak because the league has 4 years of film on him. Rookie QBs or ones no one has seen before always look good for at least a week. Maybe 2. Look at how good Dalton looked against the Giants (who hadnt prepared for him) compared to Dalton against the Cardinals who prepared all week for him and forced him into mistakes. You know I am a Dak fan and of course he has flaws, but if you are bringing up dropped passes and fumbles I can point you to many games last year that were lost because of Zeke and Witten dropping balls and fumbling balls at horrible times during the game. I recall Witten in particular dropping a huge gain at midfield while we were driving in NO last season. Thats just football. So do try and justify Dalton playing horribly because of Zeke and Gallup isnt really fair either.

Dak overcame a lot of mistakes by his teammates. And im not talking about W/L because thats a team stat. But Dak at least had the team in a position to win in a lot of games. Dalton didnt have that at all. He looked like a rookie against Arizona and The Football Team did him a service by knocking him out of the game because he again looked brutal lol.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hmmm, I do like Dak and think he can win in this league, however, and that is a big however, I just wonder if some if his critics, like me, would calm down a little if Dak would lower his asking price to something reasonable to help HIS team? There is absolutely nobody in the world including other players, celebs, politicians, doctors, lawyers or indian chiefs that need to live on 35 million freaking dollars a year playing for a few months out of the year!

This, I think is one of the reasons Dak is taking such flack for being the average, or above average QB that thinks he needs that much cash to live on for the rest of his life even if he has a career ending injury. And for this I understand the criticism that he gets.

I can hear it now...but, but, but, so and so got paid! So what? It's about a Superbowl not how much more money can be made than others got. Greed > SB's...and that is not how it used to be with the 90's Cowboys...they had pride and wanted to win, not just get paid!

JJHLH1

Reaction score
No, Dalton won that game. Dak has proven himself BELOW the league average in QB rating NFL comebacks when he needs a TD to score within the last four minutes. Last year, he didn’t win a single game when down by half-time. He’s been that way for years.

Nothing of Dak’s history shows he would have beat the Giants..

Dak is 2-3. He shattered the all-time NFL passing record thru the first 5 games.

Dalton, DiNicci, and Gilbert are 0-4.

Eight_Trips

Reaction score
That blaming a QB for a loss is like blaming a goalie for a loss in soccer. There are 11 guys on the field. Its a TEAM game. And also. In that Jets game. Dak was being hit left right and center and still kept getting up. I cant see Fields or Lawrence having the same reaction. There are things more to being an athlete than skill. And Dak has that in droves. I feel a lot of you have never played a team sport to understand that concept.
He has all that in droves, problem is he's missing what it takes to make him anything other than an average QB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
We can have a genuine discussion. But using Gilbert in his first start isnt a fair comparison to Dak because the league has 4 years of film on him. Rookie QBs or ones no one has seen before always look good for at least a week. Maybe 2. Look at how good Dalton looked against the Giants (who hadnt prepared for him) compared to Dalton against the Cardinals who prepared all week for him and forced him into mistakes. You know I am a Dak fan and of course he has flaws, but if you are bringing up dropped passes and fumbles I can point you to many games last year that were lost because of Zeke and Witten dropping balls and fumbling balls at horrible times during the game. I recall Witten in particular dropping a huge gain at midfield while we were driving in NO last season. Thats just football. So do try and justify Dalton playing horribly because of Zeke and Gallup isnt really fair either.

Dak overcame a lot of mistakes by his teammates. And im not talking about W/L because thats a team stat. But Dak at least had the team in a position to win in a lot of games. Dalton didnt have that at all. He looked like a rookie against Arizona and The Football Team did him a service by knocking him out of the game because he again looked brutal lol.
How are yall gonna say “These QBs cant get the same results as Dak!!” but then make excuses when an actual QB (Gilbert) does?

Romo didnt get the benefit of the doubt and neither should Dakota...