Jerry Jones: Dak stats are “garbage time” [Personal Opinion Included]

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but what happens in the NFL for some reason teams that jump out to big leads then make adjustments to their defense then all of a sudden they're back in a competitive game they don't have that same fire that they had at the beginning of a game. It's not like college where you get a team down and then beat the living s@#$%t out for 2 or 3 more quarters until games over. You don't see that a lot in the NFL.
Yep

Look how Falcons were bashed for giving up big leads.

And why the fact we were able to come back after big deficits while still coming up short speaks more than getting totally blown out like we have without Dak.

And those defense we came back against must be asking themselves if they could have won if we didn’t spot them a couple scores from turnovers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can't allow anybody to get away with declaring that teams "jump into bend don't break defense" in the first quarter of games. Not only is it not true .. even if it was I GUARANTEE YOU that as soon as they watched the Cowboys score 2-3 TDs in a very short order they shifted right the F out of it. Any attempt to paint it otherwise is intellectually dishonest. But aside from the last drive before the half when you have a lead, nobody in the NFL plays prevent until the 4th quarter.. It's just an idiotic canard. People who did not fail math know that until you are up more scores than projected remaining possessions for your opponent you don't even think about it. That is football 101.. No matter what some talking head says on the air or some self-proclaimed expert writes in some self-aggrandizing article trying to show you he's right about something, I can tell you from having coached and having been around coaches for a LOT of my adult life nobody is doing what people are throwing out there as generally accepted doctrine. It simply doesn't happen.
Whether it’s prevent defense or not isn’t a critical aspect to me. It’s merely talking points.

The bigger discussion is are these stats running up when the game is out of reach which of course is a speculative argument . We have seen defenses not feel the same sense of urgency when up multiple scores.

I think the argument would be much different if we are running up these stats earlier in the game with leads only to lose late in the game.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jerry just spoke on 105 the fan and basically stated that offense struggled even when Dak was starting and they only moved the ball more because teams defense allowed them to.

This owner will die without another ring. Dak & Will McClay to Atlanta is 99% guaranteed.

I hope so. Anything that causes stress on Jerry is good for me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The h@#$ it isn't. This is actually how Dak got a lot of his yards. This team turned into the worst team in the NFL starting out games this year and defenses played accordingly. Bend but don't break, we'll give Dak his yards to a point. How many games did the cowboys win with Dak under center this year............

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Umm.. 19 points? Gilbert and his 200 yards or passing with 1 TD and 1 INT are the "same results" as a guy who was averaging 381 yards passing a game and leading an offense that was scoring over 33 ppg? What am I missing.. 60% of the yards and less than 60% of the points? 6.4 yards per attempt vs 8.4 yards per attempt for Dak. 53% completion rate vs 68% for Dak.. "Same?" Please explain how that's the "same results?"
You obviously didnt read my post

Dak vs Rams:
25/39
266 yds
6.82 y/a
1 TD
0 INT
17 points scored

Gilbert vs Steelers
21/38
243 yds
6.39 y/a
1 TD
1 INT
19 point scored

Looks similar to Dak’s results to me

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Dak vs Rams:
25/39
266 yds
6.82 y/a
1 TD
0 INT
17 points scored

Gilbert vs Steelers
21/38
243 yds
6.39 y/a
1 TD
1 INT
19 point scored

This is all irrelevant. Honestly.
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The h@#$ it isn't. This is actually how Dak got a lot of his yards. This team turned into the worst team in the NFL starting out games this year and defenses played accordingly. Bend but don't break, we'll give Dak his yards to a point. How many games did the cowboys win with Dak under center this year............
It's just not. Feel free to go through all 5 games Prescott started, game by game quarter and you'll discover your statement is just wrong.

As far as wins, stay on track. Wins and losses are a team stat. That's not what we're talking about here.

Brax

Reaction score
What a bunch of crap, Jerry!!!

Does this look like "garbage time" Dak stats???

Does this look like all 5 of those teams' Defenses were "allowing" Dak and the Cowboys Offense to "put up" stats???

You're full of crap for saying that, Jerry!!! So disrespectful to Dak, this whole Offense, O-Coordinator Kellen Moore, Head Coach Mike McCarthy and the coaching staff!

I've lost so much respect for you for being a weasel for saying such lies. Yes, we get it, that's your way of making up lies in order to weasel your way to make a drastic shortball contract offer to Dak this upcoming offseason, but you should at least have the guts to tell us all you simply don't want to pay Dak what he's earned and what he's truly worth...instead of making up lies!!!

I wish there was a "throwing the bird" emoticon to use here, because this "banging head on a brick wall" one gives my feelings towards this sniveling weasel of an owner no justice!
:banghead:

Jerry Jones is a backstabbing con-artist who will lowball his most important and best producing player on his team while making up lies to justify his actions. Folks, that's the sign of a COWARD!

I hope Dak goes elsewhere where he will be appreciated and paid his worth for what he brings to the table. It's clear Jerry doesn't want to pay Dak his worth, even though Jerry has so quickly overpaid so many others who have not lived up to being so overpaid. Forget you, Jerry, and your unappreciative ways of thinking! You deserve nothing but misery from this day forward, you weasel. I hope you draft another QB with a high pick...and that QB ends up being a big failure who doesn't even come close to putting up stats and moving this team's offense into scoring the way Dak has these past 4.3 years. I want to see karma hit you square in the face simply for being an unappreciative weasel who refused to take care of the best player you were lucky to have these past 4+ years, Jerry!

Your Dak love crush is out of control it’s not normal seek help.

Brax

Reaction score

Dak vs Rams:
25/39
266 yds
6.82 y/a
1 TD
0 INT
17 points scored

Gilbert vs Steelers
21/38
243 yds
6.39 y/a
1 TD
1 INT
19 point scored

Dak love blinds, there must be other reasons (excuses), you know they are coming. Your stats are bad , like I said before if you put # 4 on him no one would of noticed any difference and the result was a L. Have a safe and great Tday and enjoy the next 2 games.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Garbage time stats refers to yards put up against a prevent defense by a team that knows, or thinks, you cannot catch them unless they give you 2-3 quick TDs. Almost always in the 4th quarter, not earlier. Show me the games this season when Dak was playing against the prevent.

In which games were we not in striking distance to win the game if the defense simply stopped the opposition from scoring at will. In which games were we racking up stats but simply didn’t have the time to win.

I would argue that the Atlanta game, which we won, was really the main garbage time game because we were not supposed to recover an onsides kick and score again. But Atlantis’s defense has since proven that the entire game is garbage time, much like our defense before the past two games.

In the history of the NFL, of bad offenses and bad QBs, no QB has ever put up that many 450+ yards passing games in garbage time....lol. The whole discussion is silly. Yes, the offense struggled at times....mostly because Kellen Moore hadn’t given up on the rushing game yet. No RT in any game Dak played, and no backup because Cam was out. Tyron made a brief appearance and was gone. Zeke has struggled all year. The original downfield passing game also struggled from lack of protection, but we were in every game.

our backup OLmen and play calling has improved, but there’s still been plenty of “garbage time” for our backup QBs, yet no one has sniffed that 450 per game, so don’t tell me anyone, including Dalton, is in Dak’s league. That’s just a stupid statement that cannot be defended. If you want to argue we should let Dak walk and draft a top QB, at least there’s a valid argument there.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Dak vs Rams:
25/39
266 yds
6.82 y/a
1 TD
0 INT
17 points scored

Gilbert vs Steelers
21/38
243 yds
6.39 y/a
1 TD
1 INT
19 point scored

You obviously didn't read your own post. You said "same results." Not similar.. not almost.. not kinda.. you said "same." I can look here and easily see that these results are NOT the same.. more yards, higher completion percentage, more yards per attempt. Then throw in factors like one guy having 4 years worth of tape and 4 months for the opponent could use to prepare vs less than 10 career snaps and 6 days to prepare. Then one guy playing at home vs playing on the road.. One guy's passer rating was 92.5. The other's was 72.6. I will golf clap Gilbert for at least putting up a creditable effort especially in light of what the other two stooges had put out there.. But only someone with an agenda could try and paint these two performances as remotely similar. It may well be that the more he plays the more he will be exposed and that this shining moment might be the best we ever see from him. He is 29 years old after all and has been knockin around the league for 6 years. Or maybe he's one of those guys for whom the light bulb didn't go on until later in his career. We will probably get to find out this year because I don't expect much out of Dalton so when Dalton falls on his face (again) I expect the team to hand the reins over to Gilbert for the rest of the season.. and then maybe give DiNucci a start or two at the end. And when they do I am going to be rooting like hell for him to put up 300 yards and 3 TDs every game.. Just like I was with Dalton.. but he let me down so my faith in his is at an all time low. I HOPE he plays better this week but I am not expecting him to.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If anything it only confirms what we already know. We’re not going to win anything with Jerry as a owner. And meddling micromanaging

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Garbage time stats refers to yards put up against a prevent defense by a team that knows, or thinks, you cannot catch them unless they give you 2-3 quick TDs. Almost always in the 4th quarter, not earlier. Show me the games this season when Dak was playing against the prevent.

In which games were we not in striking distance to win the game if the defense simply stopped the opposition from scoring at will. In which games were we racking up stats but simply didn’t have the time to win.

I would argue that the Atlanta game, which we won, was really the main garbage time game because we were not supposed to recover an onsides kick and score again. But Atlantis’s defense has since proven that the entire game is garbage time, much like our defense before the past two games.

In the history of the NFL, of bad offenses and bad QBs, no QB has ever put up that many 450+ yards passing games in garbage time....lol. The whole discussion is silly. Yes, the offense struggled at times....mostly because Kellen Moore hadn’t given up on the rushing game yet. No RT in any game Dak played, and no backup because Cam was out. Tyron made a brief appearance and was gone. Zeke has struggled all year. The original downfield passing game also struggled from lack of protection, but we were in every game.

our backup OLmen and play calling has improved, but there’s still been plenty of “garbage time” for our backup QBs, yet no one has sniffed that 450 per game, so don’t tell me anyone, including Dalton, is in Dak’s league. That’s just a stupid statement that cannot be defended. If you want to argue we should let Dak walk and draft a top QB, at least there’s a valid argument there.
You Dak stans will say anything to hype this eh QB up lol. Dak is the master of garbage time stats and y'all are the masters of being blind followers of an average QB with fugazy numbers.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You Dak stans will say anything to hype this eh QB up lol. Dak is the master of garbage time stats and y'all are the masters of being blind followers of an average QB with fugazy numbers.
:hammer:
tenor.gif

birdwells1

Reaction score
It was posted in July 2019. Dak followed that up with an 8-8 record with a healthy O-line and several really bad losses during the season, the worst of which was the embarrassing display against the Jets. Fast forward to 2020 and he had a 1-3 record before the injury, and the team would be no better off right now had he not gotten hurt.

I guess I'm missing how Dak was so 'prolific' after that article was posted.

Prolific means high passing yards and tds, it doesn't mean team success in which a qb isn't totally responsible for.