Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I listened. I also know Jerry and his son are largely full of crap.

Where did I say it would be stupid to pay Lamb top dollar, for example? My point is that the longer it takes to sign some of these guys the more money it is going to cost them. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency to sign a guy like Lamb, for example, right now. But there should be. Philly did it with D Smith. Roseman saw that Jefferson and Lamb were on the horizon so he worked his butt off to get Smith signed to an extension before the other two signed.

Because he knew it would cost him more money once Jefferson and Lamb signed.
and smith had to AGREE to a VERY GOOD EAL... but he wasnt setting the market. Lamb and jefferson are going to set the market. Its much easier to accept a deal when it isnt going to be the largest at the position.

Sydla

Reaction score
LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY.

You dont have a clue what the players will accept... not a clue. Stephen is telling you EXACTLY what is happening if youd listen. Why did he bring up Jefferson's name? Because they are all wanting to do deals in the same number/ball park. Why isnt Jefferson's deal done? Vikes are in exact same boat Dallas is.... so why hasnt Jefferson signed? I mean, its obviously going to cost them more the longer they wait, right?
Because Minnesota isn't well run either.

Funny how one of the better GMs - Howie Roseman - figured out a way to get his 1st round pick WR in D Smith signed before Jefferson and Lamb signed. Because Roseman knows the moment one of Jefferson or Lamb signs, he's going to cost himself more in money and cap space on Smith.

Sydla

Reaction score
and smith had to AGREE to a VERY GOOD EAL... but he wasnt setting the market. Lamb and jefferson are going to set the market. Its much easier to accept a deal when it isnt going to be the largest at the position.
You can set the market right now with Lamb.

But if you wait, you run the risk of Jefferson or someone else setting the market and then you have to come in even higher than you wanted.

Again, Roseman is a better GM than Jerry and he knew this and worked his butt off to get Smith signed before Jefferson and Lamb. Even if Smith wasn't setting the market, if Jefferson and/or Lamb sign, that's going to drive up Smith's asking price.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Please tell me exactly what he said that was so arrogant. That he has a handle on the cap and where it is going more than most? Is that arrogant or factual?
That people on the outside (he didnt say this exactly) but people on the outside that have never been involved in these kind of deals dont know as much about doing these deals as they do??? again, thats factual.
The way he talks to people ...... and he has no handle on anything ........ but keep believing what the old fool says

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I listened. I also know Jerry and his son are largely full of crap.

Where did I say it would be stupid to pay Lamb top dollar, for example? :
You said: They are only costing themselves money and cap space waiting on some of these guys. Lamb being one, for sure. He's an elite, Top 10 WR in this league. Making him "prove" it is so idiotic that is makes perfect sense the Cowboys would do this.

The ONLY way that Lamb signs ANY deal right now, today, is if he is given a 4 year 120 plus million deal. Do you think the Cowboys should do that? he will not be the first of these ELITE Wrs to sign his deal unless he is made the highest paid wr in the league... thats why a deal hasnt been done. You say top 10... top ten my arse. They would jump all over a deal like the eagles just gave smith... but no way Lamb does that. You say they are costing themselves MORE by not getting it done.... how> If they get it done, they make lamb numero uno for WR pay.... then all of you would be saying how stupid they are for doing that. It make sNO DIFFERENCE what they do. All of our amazing Zone GMs have a much better way to get things done, even though they havent a clue what is happening on the other side of the table.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You can set the market right now with Lamb.

But if you wait, you run the risk of Jefferson or someone else setting the market and then you have to come in even higher than you wanted.

Again, Roseman is a better GM than Jerry and he knew this and worked his butt off to get Smith signed before Jefferson and Lamb. Even if Smith wasn't setting the market, if Jefferson and/or Lamb sign, that's going to drive up Smith's asking price.
Like I said, its easy to get a deal with Smith done.. he isnt Lamb, He isnt Jefferson so he doesnt have the same leverage the other 2 have. And you keep saying the Cowboys can get a deal done... really? Ill ask again... why dont the Vikes get the deal done with jefferson now and save themselves all sorts of cap space. I mean, you have laid down the groundwork of how to do it. Its simple, easy peasy... wth are they waiting for?

Sydla

Reaction score
You said: They are only costing themselves money and cap space waiting on some of these guys. Lamb being one, for sure. He's an elite, Top 10 WR in this league. Making him "prove" it is so idiotic that is makes perfect sense the Cowboys would do this.

The ONLY way that Lamb signs ANY deal right now, today, is if he is given a 4 year 120 plus million deal. Do you think the Cowboys should do that? he will not be the first of these ELITE Wrs to sign his deal unless he is made the highest paid wr in the league... thats why a deal hasnt been done. You say top 10... top ten my arse. They would jump all over a deal like the eagles just gave smith... but no way Lamb does that. You say they are costing themselves MORE by not getting it done.... how> If they get it done, they make lamb numero uno for WR pay.... then all of you would be saying how stupid they are for doing that. It make sNO DIFFERENCE what they do. All of our amazing Zone GMs have a much better way to get things done, even though they havent a clue what is happening on the other side of the table.
Yes, he's only going to sign a top value contract today. So let's go with your 4 year, $120MM contract............ that's the top market contract.

And let's say the Cowboys know this but wait. And then Jefferson signs that 4 year, $120MM contract. Or one even higher than that. Suddenly, Lamb is now at 4 years, $135MM.

There is zero value in waiting. It's only going to cost them more in the long run. Jerry/Stephen should be working OT to get Lamb a contract he likes before someone else sets the market and costs Jerry more.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because Minnesota isn't well run either.

Funny how one of the better GMs - Howie Roseman - figured out a way to get his 1st round pick WR in D Smith signed before Jefferson and Lamb signed. Because Roseman knows the moment one of Jefferson or Lamb signs, he's going to cost himself more in money and cap space on Smith.
How many times do I need to say this..... Smith is NOT LAMB or JEFFERSON. So it is much easier to sign tier 2 players than it is to sign the elite of the elite.
Those other 2 guys have the same agent.... hmmmmmm, you dont think thats is making things a little harder>?

Sydla

Reaction score
Like I said, its easy to get a deal with Smith done.. he isnt Lamb, He isnt Jefferson so he doesnt have the same leverage the other 2 have. And you keep saying the Cowboys can get a deal done... really? Ill ask again... why dont the Vikes get the deal done with jefferson now and save themselves all sorts of cap space. I mean, you have laid down the groundwork of how to do it. Its simple, easy peasy... wth are they waiting for?
It's not easy. In fact. it's probably harder because while Smith isn't a market setting WR, he's still an upper level WR. So you have to figure out where he fits in the pecking order and what would make him comfortable. Lamb is an elite WR. He's going to be the highest paid WR when he signs or pretty close to it.

This is just excuse making for Jerry. Why in the world you'd give him and his son the benefit of the doubt after their failures is peculiar.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes, he's only going to sign a top value contract today. So let's go with your 4 year, $120MM contract............ that's the top market contract.

And let's say the Cowboys know this but wait. And then Jefferson signs that 4 year, $120MM contract. Or one even higher than that. Suddenly, Lamb is now at 4 years, $135MM.

There is zero value in waiting. It's only going to cost them more in the long run. Jerry/Stephen should be working OT to get Lamb a contract he likes before someone else sets the market and costs Jerry more.
how do you know they havent already offered Lamb 4 years 120 million, and lambs agent (same guy as Jefferson) has said nah... we will wait. An dif Jefferson gets 120 million, lamb is getting 120 million, not a chance in hell he gets more.

Sydla

Reaction score
How many times do I need to say this..... Smith is NOT LAMB or JEFFERSON. So it is much easier to sign tier 2 players than it is to sign the elite of the elite.
Those other 2 guys have the same agent.... hmmmmmm, you dont think thats is making things a little harder>?
Doesn't matter. Smith is still an upper echelon WR whose price tag will go up the moment Lamb and Jefferson sign.

Roseman knows this and worked his *** off to make sure he was signed before either Lamb or Jefferson signed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's not easy. In fact. it's probably harder because while Smith isn't a market setting WR, he's still an upper level WR. So you have to figure out where he fits in the pecking order and what would make him comfortable. Lamb is an elite WR. He's going to be the highest paid WR when he signs or pretty close to it.

This is just excuse making for Jerry. Why in the world you'd give him and his son the benefit of the doubt after their failures is peculiar.
Im giving nobody a pass. I disagree with you completely. Signing Smith is much easier. You can already look at T Hills deal and you know you are working below that deal. Look at AJ Brown deal... now you have a window of what you are working with.

What window are you working with when it comes to Jefferson and Lamb? T Hill is the starting point basically.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Smith is still an upper echelon WR whose price tag will go up the moment Lamb and Jefferson sign.

Roseman knows this and worked his *** off to make sure he was signed before either Lamb or Jefferson signed.
of course.... ugh. Have a good day.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry isn’t paying Dak, because he’s already paid him. He’s giving him one last shot to prove it.

pitt33

Reaction score
wth does "Cave," mean. They are gonna get paid, its a matter of how much. So when they do get paid, like the top players they are... here you will come saying they caved as always...... smh
Overpay to meet their demands.

He overpaid Zeke and he’ll more than likely overpay the Big Three.

Cmon man. Shouldn’t have to explain to ya.

khiladi

Reaction score
Most teams let players like Hill walk AFTER they win a SB, especially when they have a guy like Mahomes as QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Im giving nobody a pass. I disagree with you completely. Signing Smith is much easier. You can already look at T Hills deal and you know you are working below that deal. Look at AJ Brown deal... now you have a window of what you are working with.

What window are you working with when it comes to Jefferson and Lamb? T Hill is the starting point basically.
But you are giving the Jones the benefit of the doubt here. It's clear as day.

And it's peculiar why one would do that given their failures in running this team. And why you'd put any value in anything they said about the cap and contracts yesterday after they also said things like they are basically cap poor (that's a lie) and how they "won" the offseason last year (that's a howler) and how Jerry was completely unaware of their cap situation when he claimed they would go "all in" this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
How you feel about Jerry’s comments is probably largely formed prior to Jerry speaking in the first place. If you want Dak back you are probably frustrated believing that the price we will ultimately pay will be more than it could have. If you are in the middle or anti-Dak you are more ok with a wait and see approach.

I think Jerry and co are seriously evaluating options. I think those options include keeping Dak and going forward or going forward without Dak. Part of the equation probably involves the draft.

I think the Cowboys are eyeballing this draft class pretty hard.