Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What if they are making a "save face" offer just to be able to say they did? An offer they know Dak's camp likely won't accept... Meaning they don't care ultimately if Dak walks but if he accepts it at X price then it's a good deal for the team? Wouldn't they be balancing out Dak's so called leverage? i.e., We're cool if you stay at $50 million but $55 million, no thanks...
That would be a budget, not leverage because it doesnt force Daks team to do take an option they didnt already have..

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
there are very few things that give owners leverage once full on FA is on the horizon..Tags, are one but once they are gone the only leverage they really have is wether the player wants to be there more than he wants more money somewhere else...Dak has clearly said he does not..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You used to see Eddi D all the time.

By the way, the mighty niners have gone longer with no championship than Dallas has.
But, but, but..i dont give 1 damn. NO TITLE since 1994. Thats all that counts.
The ighty niners have their starting LT holding out and a very talented WR demanding a trade. Spare me how great they are.
Jethro & Son would not be receiving all the harsh criticism this era for our historical playoff futility if we’d made a few Championship and Super Bowl appearances like 49ers have.

Despite not winning a SB this has been a much better era for them than us.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
One other thing to consider:
The Endorsements available to players in Dallas could be better than in other cities.
Maybe the only advantage of the circus atmosphere ?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One other thing to consider:
The Endorsements available to players in Dallas could be better than in other cities.
Maybe the only advantage of the circus atmosphere ?
Yeah, I mentioned that in another post recently. Good players will get sponsorships with any team, but that usually comes after post-season success.

The Cowboys are one of the few sports teams you don't have to actually win anything with to get huge sponsorship deals.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys are one of the few sports teams you don't have to actually win anything with to get huge sponsorship deals.
default-large.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What if they are making a "save face" offer just to be able to say they did? An offer they know Dak's camp likely won't accept... Meaning they don't care ultimately if Dak walks but if he accepts it at X price then it's a good deal for the team? Wouldn't they be balancing out Dak's so called leverage? i.e., We're cool if you stay at $50 million but $55 million, no thanks...
I’m not sure the detractors want Dak at any price. Lol

55 would be a reasonable offer considering several other QB’s with no more success signing for similar deals. Dak may want more but it’s mere speculation at this point.

stiletto

Reaction score
I’m not sure the detractors want Dak at any price. Lol

55 would be a reasonable offer considering several other QB’s with no more success signing for similar deals. Dak may want more but it’s mere speculation at this point.
I'm sure they have a number they are comfortable renewing Dak at and one they don't. What that # is, who knows? They could be so far apart that the divorce is mutually agreed upon already.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
SF seems like they are also playing hardball with their #1 downfield threat, and they are much more a well balanced contender than are we.
As you mentioned, they are much more well balanced. They can absorb losing Ayuk way more than we can losing Lamb. Our offense without Lamb is going to be 2018 bad before Cooper rescued the season. Not one guy after Lamb is even close to impacting a game like he can. It's a steep drop off after Lamb.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jethro & Son would not be receiving all the harsh criticism this era for our historical playoff futility if we’d made a few Championship and Super Bowl appearances like 49ers have.

Despite not winning a SB this has been a much better era for them than us.
like I said... but, but, but.... spare me. NO TITLES, thats all that matters. Nobody cares about the Falcons making and losing their 1 sb appearance 25 years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
like I said... but, but, but.... spare me. NO TITLES, thats all that matters. Nobody cares about the Falcons making and losing their 1 sb appearance 25 years ago.
That might be all that matters with you but most would argue reaching championship games and Super Bowls is much more successful

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That might be all that matters with you but most would argue reaching championship games and Super Bowls is much more successful
yup like it or not this FO has turned this Franchise into the Jets....let that sink in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yup like it or not this FO has turned this Franchise into the Jets....let that sink in.
I wouldn’t go that far.

But the argument was is SF reaching championship games and Super Bowls more success than the Cowboys have had.

I’m surprised anyone would argue against that but here we are . Lol

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go that far.

But the argument was is SF reaching championship games and Super Bowls more success than the Cowboys have had.

I’m surprised anyone would argue against that but here we are . Lol
The New York Jets have won 7 times in the playoffs since 1996.
The New York Jets have been to the AFC championship game 3 times since 1996..
your right we are worse than the Jets we shouldnt go that far...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
I would change the word leverage to options. Jerry has the option to cave into Dak's demands or to let him hit the bricks after this season.

Dak has the option to take JJ's offer to stay a Cowboy or for him to just walk after the season is over.

However, Jerry is the deciding factor in all of this as the Employer to an employee. Maybe that could be called the leverage. But for people to think that Dak has JJ over a barrel this time, they are fooling themselves.

Blitzen

Reaction score
again having the ability to say no is not leverage..leverage is having an advantage in negotiations that swing in your favor...being able to say no is not leverage its being the boss or owner..if Jerry had something that would make Dak sign a contract team friendly THAT is leverage letting Dak walk is just a decision...

The Dallas Cowboys will still be raking in record profits with/without Dak and with/without winning seasons. The only reason to extend Dak is if the team sees a match with the contract and potential gain (either on the field or off it). If the team does not see it as a match then both sides go their separate ways (which is also like saying neither side could force the other to bend to their will-which using your logic means neither side wielded significant “leverage” in the first place).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keep living in fantasy land.

If Jerry had leverage they both would be signed.
Remember though Jerry if anyone has a way with these players as their father, he can make them take that they want

DallasInDC

Reaction score

Jerry may be able o dictate the contract terms he is willing to accept/offer...but he does not have leverage. At the end of the day, if Dak doesn't sign a contract with the cowboys, he will be the highest paid QB next year as FA. Even if he gets injured, he will be top 5 and insurance will cover anything else. Jerry on the other hand will lose the rights to a player who has one of top 5-10 trade values and will receive at best a 3rd rd. compensation for what would normally be worth no less than two 1st and a 2nd plus he will cost $40mm of dead money against the cap. Plus more than likely this team is will be middle of the pack or better so will not have a top 10 pick going into next year's draft which means they will miss out on top QBs unless they give up major draft capital. So at the end of the day, Dak loses nothing, and Jerry comes out on the bottom end of the deal...that doesn't sound like leverage to me. But your right, he is in position to say what he is willing to offer.