Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because they draft bad when it comes to those players' replacements.
Yea but we aren’t the only team which retains their Franchise QB at Market Price ridiculous contracts instead of continuing to draft one every 4-5 years.

Any idea why teams are willing to pay and retain these QB’s instead of continuing to draft one?

Chasing6

Reaction score
If I were Jerry, I would start making it crystal clear you will be expected to "work" with the team when it comes to contract extensions. If you refuse, you will be replaced quickly. So many other players willing to take your spot and pay. Good luck. Go be greedy elsewhere.
Only way to do this is to negotiate and sign players early. It is also cheaper to do it this way. If they want to wait it out or have unreasonable expectations then trade them.

Simple philosophy.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If I were Jerry, I would start making it crystal clear you will be expected to "work" with the team when it comes to contract extensions. If you refuse, you will be replaced quickly. So many other players willing to take your spot and pay. Good luck. Go be greedy elsewhere.
And if the players are fine with that, what then? Isn’t it time for Jerry Jones to use his leverage to sign a better quarterback than Prescott and a better wide receiver than Lamb? Does he want to win or what? If Dak and CeeDee don’t want to “work” does he have some replacements in mind to take their spots?

It’s Jerry Jones that doesn’t want to work. As a GM he’s as useful as breasts on a fish.

plymkr

Reaction score
Then why are they not signed?

Is Jerry on a hunger strike?
Jerry simply might not want them anymore. You can’t have leverage over someone who doesn’t want you.

I wonder if Jimmy got into Jerry’s ear and hit him with a couple hard truths. One of those truths is these guys don’t have IT. They don’t have the killer mentality that you need to win it all. Another truth Jimmy could have dropped is don’t pay top dollar for regular season flash, pay top dollar for post season substance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry simply might not want them anymore. You can’t have leverage over someone who doesn’t want you.

I wonder if Jimmy got into Jerry’s ear and hit him with a couple hard truths. One of those truths is these guys don’t have IT. They don’t have the killer mentality that you need to win it all. Another truth Jimmy could have dropped is don’t pay top dollar for regular season flash, pay top dollar for post season substance.
If you don't want them anymore why would you be in negotiations? Make it, make sense.

Chasing6

Reaction score

And how would Jimmy know that? Did the fish tell him?

plymkr

Reaction score
And how would Jimmy know that? Did the fish tell him?
Lol, no I seriously doubt Jimmy would listen to Fish. How he would come to that conclusion would be the eye test. He watches the NFL and he could have told Jerry these guys don’t have it. Pure speculation on my part.

As far as the negotiations go. There is a couple things that stood out to me when Gregory left the Cowboys. RG didn’t want a clause in his contract that dealt with behavior issues and repaying guaranteed money back. Ironically Fish reported this and when he did he said that in his 30+ years of reporting no player did not have that clause in his contact besides Dak. He said it was a standard clause that everyone gets. So Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin (who needed it the most), Romo, Martin etc. Fish reported this is a standard clause in all NFL contracts, not just the Cowboys. So in the last negotiations with Dak, Dak got:
1. No trade clause
2. No franchise tag clause
3. The years he wanted
4. AND the behavior clause taken out.
I wonder if Jerry doesn’t want to give that much power away again and I wonder if Dak and CD are trying to force Jerry to change how he writes the contracts and Jerry is saying no. Again pure speculation but it doesn’t make sense and I’m trying to make sense of it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jerry has the leverage if he wants to tank. That's about all the leverage he has especially with Dak. I don't think Dak cares one way or another any more if he's here next year. He's going to get his money. C.D. will cave in eventually if Jerry plays hardball but then you have a disgruntled WR on your hand. We saw how that looked in the GB game. I just don't know how anyone thinks we're going to have a good season with all these distractions. Maybe that's what Jerry wants in this stage of life. It's not a way to run a franchise that is supposedly a contender.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lol, no I seriously doubt Jimmy would listen to Fish. How he would come to that conclusion would be the eye test. He watches the NFL and he could have told Jerry these guys don’t have it. Pure speculation on my part.

As far as the negotiations go. There is a couple things that stood out to me when Gregory left the Cowboys. RG didn’t want a clause in his contract that dealt with behavior issues and repaying guaranteed money back. Ironically Fish reported this and when he did he said that in his 30+ years of reporting no player did not have that clause in his contact besides Dak. He said it was a standard clause that everyone gets. So Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin (who needed it the most), Romo, Martin etc. Fish reported this is a standard clause in all NFL contracts, not just the Cowboys. So in the last negotiations with Dak, Dak got:
1. No trade clause
3. The years he wanted
I wonder if Jerry doesn’t want to give that much power away again and I wonder if Dak and CD are trying to force Jerry to change how he writes the contracts and Jerry is saying no. Again pure speculation but it doesn’t make sense and I’m trying to make sense of it.
Jerry gambled and Dak bet on himself. Dak won the bet. Jerry doubled down, no replacement plan for Dak, and Jerry lost again. End of story.

The Trance trade was a panic, bluff attempt at best by Jerry. Jerry lost again.

Chasing6

Reaction score

1. No trade clause
3. The years he wanted
Just so we are on the same page, I was referring to the fish Jimmy catches on his boat in Florida. :laugh:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
:hammer:Reality sets in.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I didn't say Dak didn't have leverage.

I simply said that Jerry has more leverage than people realize and that's true.

The fact that Jerry hasn't given in to Dak and Lamb yet (that could change at any moment of course) shows at least Jerry thinks he has a lot of leverage.

Of course, that may change if Lamb holds out and the Cowboys start 0-2 like they did when Emmitt held out.

In any case, blowing up a team that's 12-5 and exits playoffs early every year at the cost of one down year is a not about leverage but simply a trade-off that, at least in Jerry's mind, would be an investment in 2025 by resetting the salary cap considerably and avoiding any big contracts that limits the salary cap for 2025.

Jerry knows that if he gives Dak, Lamb and Parsons huge cap-hitting contracts, and then combines that with no-trade, no-franchise-tag clauses, etc. that he is simply setting this team up for a forced reset or even rebuild in 2-3 years that may require multiple seasons to recover.

Personally, I don't really care which way it goes nor do I care to change anyone's mind, so your persistent need to argue with me (not sure why you always single out my posts as I don't post very often) is wasted on someone like me.

My point with this thread was to share a different perspective because people are making a lot of assumptions, including the media, without having all of the information when there could be a lot of other factors in play that we have no idea about.

Regardless of how it all works out, it will be interesting to see what happens between now and week 2-3 of the season.
I loved this post and your original post in this thread. It gets me to thinking about Jerry's motives. I've never seen him hurt from a loss the way he was after that Green Bay game. It's obvious to me he cares; he wants to win in the worst way. I like your point about the first few weeks of the season being interesting.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
Pretty much agree with everything you've said, HOWEVER, Jerry would only have 'leverage', if he seriously considered letting Dak walk in 2025, and/or whether he thinks the only teams to meet his financial demands are going to be second rate teams that are desperate for a QB.

The second point is a dangerous theoretical assumption, to hang his hat upon, as it will only take one decent/good team that decide to upgrade at QB (even after drafting a QB in recent years).

What I definitely agree with you upon, is that this isnt about $$$, its about YEARS/(possibly) NTC.......and a show of strength after the last contract (from both sides).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Dear Leader: I, a captive but heroic vassal of the Star, believe you put much stock in clauses and pauses in clauses, when all the lad wants is monaaay. And his mum wants a stadium suite and a separate drive in entrance to the stadium.

Further, me sovereign, this sinewy lad fears that Jerald and CeeDee are digging in. There are fewer words except those of posturing.
Straight up, there is now bad blood. Bad blooD with a capital D.
As I gracefully stated earlier, I can now see a looong holdout, the likes of which are never feigned.
Dear Leader, it IS about the money, at least 90% of it.
I don't see CeeDee backing down with mum looking on.
Let us prepare for the worst and cope with the excess.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don’t know why people are so impatient. It’s only been 30 years. Jerry and Ruddy Boy got this under control.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t agree that his fallback plan is a reset next season. I don’t think Jerry has the stomach for it at all, he may act like he does but actions speak louder than words- and recent history shows that his hardline stances haven’t meant much with dak, with Martin, with zeke etc.

Him and Stephen even recently mentioned in a press conference in regards to season ticket renewal that being “ relevant” is important ( paraphrasing) imo Jerry’s leverage is hollow words and I feel lamb’s agents know it and so do daks

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
You don’t know Jerry jones if you think he wants to do a salary cap reset

He’s absolutely petrified of being irrelevant
Read the tea leaves, he could easily take the next two seasons to reset the salary cap. Dak, Zak, and Tank will be off the books by then.