CFZ Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry

plasticman

Reaction score
I think that if the Cowboys need to trade for Henry, the last thing they want their actions to indicate is.....that they need to trade for Henry.

I also think that the Titans ae not desperately trying to trade him but they will listen to offers. I think they would potentially receive several offers and the value would go well beyond what I believe the Cowboys are willing to pay. They are already without two draft picks they used to trade for Gilmore and Cooks.

Also keep in mind that the Cowboys have been making a real effort to budget their cap for some hefty contracts like Lamb, Parsons, etc. They have been trying to carry over cap money from a previous season which is allowed. Therefore, any additional money spent this season means less money to keep our current stars for the future.

Another issue to keep in mind is the almost overnight deterioration of NFL RB's productivity. Recently, it seems as though we've witnessed many good RB's just suddenly become ineffective with very little grey area in between. If the Cowboys do get Henry how long will the rest of his career last? Three years? One year? One game?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think that if the Cowboys need to trade for Henry, the last thing they want their actions to indicate is.....that they need to trade for Henry.

I also think that the Titans ae not desperately trying to trade him but they will listen to offers. I think they would potentially receive several offers and the value would go well beyond what I believe the Cowboys are willing to pay. They are already without two draft picks they used to trade for Gilmore and Cooks.

Also keep in mind that the Cowboys have been making a real effort to budget their cap for some hefty contracts like Lamb, Parsons, etc. They have been trying to carry over cap money from a previous season which is allowed. Therefore, any additional money spent this season means less money to keep our current stars for the future.

Another issue to keep in mind is the almost overnight deterioration of NFL RB's productivity. Recently, it seems as though we've witnessed many good RB's just suddenly become ineffective with very little grey area in between. If the Cowboys do get Henry how long will the rest of his career last? Three years? One year? One game?
Pay for two seasons and take a top runner in next year's draft...

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think we are a contender. I think he's perfect for what we need. I think our offense with him becomes one of the most lethal offenses in the league. I think Parsons would become much deadlier with him at RB. I think this is the move that has to be done.
He’s “perfect” for a lot of teams’ needs. And it will take more than a 2nd round draft pick to get him. But like Pollard, Henry is a free agent after this season. Neither one is signing with any team on the cheap. Pollard is making $10 million per, Henry over $12 million. What about next season with even less draft capital after trading for DH? I think the “we like our guys” is probably the most prudent strategy at this time for this franchise.

plasticman

Reaction score
Pay for two seasons and take a top runner in next year's draft...
That would have been my strategy for this season. For some reason, it wasn't theirs.

I haven't heard anything about the strength of the RB's class coming out after the season but we do know that the most recent one was very strong.

Achane, Robinson, Gibbs, Spears, and Charbonnet have all made impactful contributions to their teams. They all average at least 4.7 yards per carry. Robinson, Gibbs and Spears ae also prolific receivers. After cutting Dak I fully expected one of these guys to be a Cowboy. It's not like the Cowboys never got the opportunity.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is basically a twin thread to another thread that I made. That said, I think it's clear what needs to be done for the Cowboys to make a run this year. Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry.

Our biggest weaknesses, as I see them, is oline play and our running game. I submit that our issue is congruent because we don't have a back that runs with the style that our running game plan. Consider that our oline core is accustomed to blocking for the likes of Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Zeke. Now, they're being asked to block for the likes of Pollard, Dowdle, and Vaughn (I'd like for Luepke to be more involved, but that's for another thread). Pollard is not Murray or Zeke. He's a back who thrives on outside runs. If only there was a team on a fire sale that has a back that might fit our offense. Oh, that's right, the Titans just made a trade with Philly. Perhaps it's time Jerry shakes their tree to see if we can get Derrick Henry. I would see if they'd take Dowdle and a 2nd for Henry. I say second because, with our draft history, Jerry will probably waste our second round pick anyway. Trading Dowdle saves us the trouble of cutting him and making room for DH.

I think if Dallas makes this move, then it would become a move that could shift the balance in the NFC. The 49ers can't stop the run. The Eagles just traded for a safety. I think trading for Derrick Henry would be the perfect response for the Eagles move, and I think Derrick Henry, with our offense, can be the difference in us beating SFO. Perhaps that could be the big move that the Cowboys need?
LMAO!!!!

Jerry aint going to trade for King Henry while paying Pollard $10 mill on the tag.

C'mon bro, you know better than to even suggest this.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LMAO!!!!

Jerry aint going to trade for King Henry while paying Pollard $10 mill on the tag.

C'mon bro, you know better than to even suggest this.
It's not stupid...what is being paid for their top 2 receivers?

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
DHs running style is what's needed to play ball control, keep the chairs moving, wear out opposing defenses, and keep our defense off the field.....it's a good idea.....not sure of the long term cap ramifications.....

Majic

Reaction score
The guy they should have looked at earlier in the season was Foreman, but his price has gone up. With regard to Henry, you don't offer a 2 or a 3 because you have no late round picks!

Swagger

Reaction score
Yes, but trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 29 year old is not worth it for this team. They are not a battering RB away from winning a SB.
Agree. If the Cowboys had a good quarterback capable of performing to a high level in the play offs then I would be all in. As it is, definitely hold fire on pulling the trigger.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Dont we only have about 7 mill left on the cap?

Someone would have to be willing to redo their contract to even think about it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Right up the middle is an Eagles' weakness and why they picked up a former All Pro, Byard, for their secondary. That, and a quality WR with Dallas missing their top cornerback.

This time, Jerry is on notice as well...hear us Jerry? No excuses escape your top level responsibility level this season!

And guess who can solve this weakness for us.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is basically a twin thread to another thread that I made. That said, I think it's clear what needs to be done for the Cowboys to make a run this year. Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry.

Our biggest weaknesses, as I see them, is oline play and our running game. I submit that our issue is congruent because we don't have a back that runs with the style that our running game plan. Consider that our oline core is accustomed to blocking for the likes of Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Zeke. Now, they're being asked to block for the likes of Pollard, Dowdle, and Vaughn (I'd like for Luepke to be more involved, but that's for another thread). Pollard is not Murray or Zeke. He's a back who thrives on outside runs. If only there was a team on a fire sale that has a back that might fit our offense. Oh, that's right, the Titans just made a trade with Philly. Perhaps it's time Jerry shakes their tree to see if we can get Derrick Henry. I would see if they'd take Dowdle and a 2nd for Henry. I say second because, with our draft history, Jerry will probably waste our second round pick anyway. Trading Dowdle saves us the trouble of cutting him and making room for DH.

I think if Dallas makes this move, then it would become a move that could shift the balance in the NFC. The 49ers can't stop the run. The Eagles just traded for a safety. I think trading for Derrick Henry would be the perfect response for the Eagles move, and I think Derrick Henry, with our offense, can be the difference in us beating SFO. Perhaps that could be the big move that the Cowboys need?
As I've responded in another similar post,. this is the last credible move to show Jerry is all in. The second round pick logic is perfect because we suck at second rounders most of the time anyway.
Good post.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As I've responded in another similar post,. this is the last credible move to show Jerry is all in. The second round pick logic is perfect because we suck at second rounders most of the time anyway.
Good post.

Exactly, it's not like it'd go for much better use, knowing Jerry. So, we might as well use it for DH. Might as well use it for the best back in the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The problem is San Fran can sell out against the run and Dak can’t do squat against their pass defense because he goes into a shell.

Perhaps, but DH opens a lot of holes for Dak to use. Put it this way, Derrick Henry would mean that Dak has to beat SFO if he wants that extension.