Twitter: Jerry Jones on opposing fans at AT&T Stadium

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure opposing teams have issues with Cowboys fans on the road as there have been many instances where the crowds were at least 40/60 Cowboy fans. Fact is even when the team was ran by Tex I went to many games at Texas Stadium where opposing teams fans were there in large numbers.
Especially Giants fans, that always seemed about half and half to me. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard "why in the hell can't you get a corned beef and beer here"? The old TS did not allow any hooch sales back then.

Which was part of what was behind that bumper sticker around Dallas when all of the New Yorkers were moving in and the I Love NY campaign was running. It read: Love NY? Take I-30 North. That and the rifle rack came pretty standard on pickups back then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is probably the diference between Texas Stadium and the Deathstar...one was a decaying stadium and the other is literally a tourist attraction.
But even in Texas stadiums prime there just wasn’t that many tickets available until the late 80’s when we begin losing.

I recall maybe 2-4,000 tickets available on some games that local TV broadcasters would buy to avoid blackout.

Big difference in selling 65,000 seats compared to 80,000 +.

Plus during warm months it was like an oven in there. Very uncomfortable but a great home field advantage with the elements and sun glaring down.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
But even in Texas stadiums prime there just wasn’t that many tickets available until the late 80’s when we begin losing.

I recall maybe 2-4,000 tickets available on some games that local TV broadcasters would buy to avoid blackout.

Big difference in selling 65,000 seats compared to 80,000 +.

Plus during warm months it was like an oven in there. Very uncomfortable but a great home field advantage with the elements and sun glaring down.

Thats the diference between the internet and no internet...one decade I had to find someone with tickets, the other I have google.

Zordon

Reaction score
Most of the people buying season tickets aren't even fans they are buying them for profit
I can't believe it took this long for the most common sense answer. Jerry has priced out fans that would attend every game. A lot of super-rich out of state/country fans and corporations own those seats and sell them when they don't "feel like going". The problem is not the secondary market, it's the way the primary market was setup.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and I went to a lot of games and can remember of a hell of a lot of WFT fans at games, same with many other team. I was going to Cowboy fans back when they were in the cotton bowl all I can tell you is I have seen a lot of opposing fans attending Cowboys home games through out the years even prior to Jerry whom I know you blame for everything but this situation is not on jerry.
It begins with Jerry’s ways and the PSL which is more common now throughout the league.

The big difference which isn’t Jethros fault here as opposed to other markets is we have a growing contingency of people moving here from other markets who brought their fandom with them.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't get why fans get mad at ownership when there are large opposing fans at a stadium.
If the teams fans would buy the tickets or not sell the tickets to other fans, they would not have as many chances for other teams fans to be there.
I Could understand if the team is losing game after game in a terrible season and the Fans don't want to be there to support it so more tickets go to opposing fans, however this team was on a winning streak. This should have been a prime time for more cowboys fans to by buying tickets and not selling the tickets they might have.

If fans should get mad at anyone for the number of opposing fans at a home game they should be mad at Cowboys fans for not buying the tickets or selling the tickets.

I also notice nobody seems to complain too much when there is a large amount of Dallas Fans at stadiums of games at other teams stadiums. There was a considerable amount of Dallas fans at the Vikings stadium.
Back in the day (the previous century) when the Atlanta Falcons were perennial doormats - amassing double-digit losses and out of a playoff berth before Thanksgiving- the local media outlets (radio & tv) would encourage season ticket holders to gift \ donate the remaining home access to the local populace who can't afford / never been to an NFL game.
It could be someone privately known (relative, neighbor, coworker, worshipper they know, etc.).
Or to a charity/ organization that helps out the less fortunate. It wouldn't be an ironclad guarantee that all of those people are gonna cheer for the home team....but I think most will.
Another alternative is the franchise buys back the season ticket games from the fans.
Go dollar-for-dollar in the exchange....plus add in credits and incentives for the following year (food & beverage, merchandise, photo ops, etc.).
Then that team, i.e. the Cowboys (Jones Family) can direct those now available seats to individuals and groups who will unequivocally root for the Cowboys when they sit down in AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

Forneymike

Reaction score
and I went to a lot of games and can remember of a hell of a lot of WFT fans at games, same with many other team. I was going to Cowboy fans back when they were in the cotton bowl all I can tell you is I have seen a lot of opposing fans attending Cowboys home games through out the years even prior to Jerry whom I know you blame for everything but this situation is not on jerry.
I totally agree...heck the Cowboys couldn't even sell out Texas Stadium at some games...ATT has been sold out for every game....Tex always said that selling the end zone seats in Texas Stadium was difficult at times...People used to drive whatever distance out of Dallas and get hotel rooms because of the black out policy so they could see the game on TV

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don't get why fans get mad at ownership when there are large opposing fans at a stadium.
If the teams fans would buy the tickets or not sell the tickets to other fans, they would not have as many chances for other teams fans to be there.
I Could understand if the team is losing game after game in a terrible season and the Fans don't want to be there to support it so more tickets go to opposing fans, however this team was on a winning streak. This should have been a prime time for more cowboys fans to by buying tickets and not selling the tickets they might have.

If fans should get mad at anyone for the number of opposing fans at a home game they should be mad at Cowboys fans for not buying the tickets or selling the tickets.

I also notice nobody seems to complain too much when there is a large amount of Dallas Fans at stadiums of games at other teams stadiums. There was a considerable amount of Dallas fans at the Vikings stadium.
Good take

Plankton

Reaction score
As hard as it is for me to defend.... gulp.... Jerry Jones, this situation is typical in every market that there is an NFL team. Fans put tickets on the secondary market all the time. I have not paid for a single regular season ticket for an NFL game where I didn't go through the secondary market - and this is in multiple cities.

Yes, PSLs suck. It's legalized usury. But, before we hang Jones in effigy for using these, let's remember who was one of the earliest, if not the earliest proponent of such a tool.

Clint Murchison.

When Texas Stadium was built in 1971, each season ticket holder had to buy a $250 bond on top of the cost of their tickets. This was to help pay down the costs of the stadium.

Zordon

Reaction score
A great many of these season ticket holders earmark which games they will sell their tickets to recoup some of their cost and I would think the DEN game was perfect and easy to sell the tickets.

I would also assume that those that sold their tickets are ecstatic they did. Whatever the hell they did was better than devoting 6+ hours to that and they made some money back.
Dude, they didn't sell their tickets at halftime when we were down 16-0. They were sold prior to the game, many after the 6-1 start. IF your tickets are so expensive and so dispersed around the country/world that fans feel obligated to sell them to recoup money even when we are 6-1 then maybe there is something wrong with how you have set up the PSLs from the jump. How is what I am saying in any way shape or form controversial?

Considering our record, what we witnessed on Sunday was embarrassing. Jerry should care because our players looked a little shocked too when asked about it in the postgame.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Thank you. Another poster that gets it. The primary market is the root problem not the secondary.

This is true. Personal seating licenses are absolutely stupid. And the price to attend a match is ridiculous. It's something prevalent in most sports sadly, and the ticket prices are astronomical. If they'd lower the tickets a bit, especially with the revenue they make on TV Deals, maybe more Cowboys fans COULD attend.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I totally agree...heck the Cowboys couldn't even sell out Texas Stadium at some games...ATT has been sold out for every game....Tex always said that selling the end zone seats in Texas Stadium was difficult at times...People used to drive whatever distance out of Dallas and get hotel rooms because of the black out policy so they could see the game on TV
The Blackout rules have changed as well. In 2009 the NFL set it at 24 hours before kickoff instead of 72 hours . And the league allowed franchises to buy remainder of tickets and broker them out.

Up until then local TV outlets had to purchase remaining tickets to avoid the local blackout which was 75 miles. And many times it was simply too many tickets to buy.

Before 1973 when the local black out rule was first implemented all home games were not televised locally. Which is why my father had season tickets initially.

Zordon

Reaction score
Back in the day (the previous century) when the Atlanta Falcons were perennial doormats - amassing double-digit losses and out of a playoff berth before Thanksgiving- the local media outlets (radio & tv) would encourage season ticket holders to gift \ donate the remaining home access to the local populace who can't afford / never been to an NFL game.
It could be someone privately known (relative, neighbor, coworker, worshipper they know, etc.).
Or to a charity/ organization that helps out the less fortunate. It wouldn't be an ironclad guarantee that all of those people are gonna cheer for the home team....but I think most will.
Another alternative is the franchise buys back the season ticket games from the fans.
Go dollar-for-dollar in the exchange....plus add in credits and incentives for the following year (food & beverage, merchandise, photo ops, etc.).
Then that team, i.e. the Cowboys (Jones Family) can direct those now available seats to individuals and groups who will unequivocally root for the Cowboys when they sit down in AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

This guy gets it. If they cared they would implement a system like this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is true. Personal seating licenses are absolutely stupid. And the price to attend a match is ridiculous. It's something prevalent in most sports sadly, and the ticket prices are astronomical. If they'd lower the tickets a bit, especially with the revenue they make on TV Deals, maybe more Cowboys fans COULD attend.
It’s tough for the average family to afford seats. . But the Cowboys are the only franchise to offer a Party Pass which allows limited entrance into the endzone, standing room only for about $30. They usually sell between 10,000-20,000 of these per game .

And can just walk up and buy them. It provides an affordable fan experience especially for kids. And for adults a place to sit and watch on big screen in the stadium pavilion if tire of standing entire game with access to facilities and confessions.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Is what it is. But the way to make up for it is to send their sorrybutt fans home disappointed and mad.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, they didn't sell their tickets at halftime when we were down 16-0. They were sold prior to the game, many after the 6-1 start. IF your tickets are so expensive and so dispersed around the country/world that fans feel obligated to sell them to recoup money even when we are 6-1 then maybe there is something wrong with how you have set up the PSLs from the jump. How is what I am saying in any way shape or form controversial?

Considering our record, what we witnessed on Sunday was embarrassing. Jerry should care because our players looked a little shocked too when asked about it in the postgame.
To assume the fans in the Metroplex are like they are in CLE, CHI, GB, PIT or even PHL is folly.

I had season tickets in the 80's and in few ways were the home fans at TS like the fans at other stadiums where I had attended games. The women were more interested in the fashion show and discussing trophy wives. The men would say "good game" when we'd lost because attending a game was a status thing and they could have cared less.

Too often, the fans' cheers had to be earned, they did not see themselves as being responsible for firing the team up. No other stadium in the NFL could be shut down by the opposing team like Texas Stadium and the announcer phrase "you can hear a pin drop in here" was said far too many times.

Dallas has long been a city about status and style and blue collar football doesn't fit in.