Twitter: Jerry Jones on opposing fans at AT&T Stadium

Zordon

Reaction score
To assume the fans in the Metroplex are like they are in CLE, CHI, GB, PIT or even PHL is folly.

I had season tickets in the 80's and in few ways were the home fans at TS like the fans at other stadiums where I had attended games. The women were more interested in the fashion show and discussing trophy wives. The men would say "good game" when we'd lost because attending a game was a status thing and they could have cared less.

Too often, the fans' cheers had to be earned, they did not see themselves as being responsible for firing the team up. No other stadium in the NFL could be shut down by the opposing team like Texas Stadium and the announcer phrase "you can hear a pin drop in here" was said far too many times.

Dallas has long been a city about status and style and blue collar football doesn't fit in.
I'm a Dallasite. I know this town like the back of my hand. Nothing you're saying I will disagree with. That's why I never expect there to be a Philly or Pittsburgh-type home atmosphere here. That being said, it doesn't have to be a place where 2-3 times a year our stadium is getting invaded by opposing fans. We're not that nonchalant. We know that this is an attractive destination for opposing fans to travel to if they're looking for one road game to attend per year. Jerry embraces it, I say protecting the home field is more important and would hire every consulting firm/Disney to figure out how I can address it as best as possible without messing with the integrity of the marketplace. Because at the end of the day, your local Cowboys fans are going to be your baseline customer base. Any type of dissatisfaction within that group (fans upset they are sitting next to strangers every game) should be taken seriously.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure if you’re not from the DFW area fans really let it sink in that in one hand the Cowboys are our favorite sports franchise while Jethro Jone$ is the most hated sports personality.

It’s a most unusual marriage . One we have to live with until death does us part for better or worse.

I been in DFW area since 1998, it know how they are here. And the Jerry hate goes back to when Landry was let go. No matter what. The 3 SB’s really did not change that opinion for many.

But the newer younger fans that is the only thing they know is Jerry. But they still do not understand the entire life of NFL for all as a sports business. Like a teen, they think they know it all but they don’t.
Heck even us older fans don’t know it all either as we think we do. :muttley:

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I don't get why fans get mad at ownership when there are large opposing fans at a stadium.
If the teams fans would buy the tickets or not sell the tickets to other fans, they would not have as many chances for other teams fans to be there.
I Could understand if the team is losing game after game in a terrible season and the Fans don't want to be there to support it so more tickets go to opposing fans, however this team was on a winning streak. This should have been a prime time for more cowboys fans to by buying tickets and not selling the tickets they might have.

If fans should get mad at anyone for the number of opposing fans at a home game they should be mad at Cowboys fans for not buying the tickets or selling the tickets.

I also notice nobody seems to complain too much when there is a large amount of Dallas Fans at stadiums of games at other teams stadiums. There was a considerable amount of Dallas fans at the Vikings stadium.

I think ownership is exactly who to get mad at. During the last 25 years of futility and failure, ownership taught the fans to start selling their tickets in the first place. One 6 game winning streak over the last 25 years isn’t enough to break the habit apparently.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What he is saying doesnt make any sense. No one knew before hand that the Broncos were going to win. There were that many Broncos fans at the stadium even though they were expected to get blown out.
I don't think Jerry suggested Bronco fans bought seats, or Cowboy fans sold them, because they knew the Broncos would win.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can’t control the secondary market
They could limit direct sales but once you buy a ticket there is no obligation on your part or any secondary ticket seller on who they can sell that ticket to
Even with direct sales would they really ask if the buyer was a Cowboy fan or not? And how could they verify it?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm a Dallasite. I know this town like the back of my hand. Nothing you're saying I will disagree with. That's why I never expect there to be a Philly or Pittsburgh-type home atmosphere here. That being said, it doesn't have to be a place where 2-3 times a year our stadium is getting invaded by opposing fans. We're not that nonchalant. We know that this is an attractive destination for opposing fans to travel to if they're looking for one road game to attend per year. Jerry embraces it, I say protecting the home field is more important and would hire every consulting firm/Disney to figure out how I can address it as best as possible without messing with the integrity of the marketplace. Because at the end of the day, your local Cowboys fans are going to be your baseline customer base. Any type of dissatisfaction within that group (fans upset they are sitting next to strangers every game) should be taken seriously.

But opposing fans have been invading the new place since forever. What has the baseline customer base been able to effect? Nothing. For every grandstanding "you won't get my money anymore" fan there is another ready to take their spot. And because grandstanding is what it is, that fan will be back later anyways because if you can't beat 'em, join 'em (again). Dream all you want but Dallas ain't never gonna be a Seattle or KC atmosphere. Those kinds of fans allow you to put some controls against opposing fans and will cooperate. Dallas fans won't. And they're within their rights not to either. Can't all be superfans.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
think how other cities feel when the Boys visit their places.
Im a New Yorker and when the Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Rangers play in any Florida city (where I am now), its like a home game to them :)

conner01

Reaction score
Even with direct sales would they really ask if the buyer was a Cowboy fan or not? And how could they verify it?
You could limit by zip code
You’d never know for sure since cowboys fans live all over the world

tyke1doe

Reaction score

aa6ac0a217a903b4704c4aa36bbc98c3.jpeg

willia451

Reaction score
bahahahhah, I guess me on my teachers salary and my wife (she makes good money) but we are certainly not "Rich," and we go to games every year. So you think we are privileged because we dont work at walmart and can afford a game?

By the way, I drive a 2000 silverado, also have a 2006 Suburban, my motorcycle is a 2005 Honda CBR 1000rr, and my wifes car is a 2015 Miata. Notice a trend here???? No 700 dollar a month car payment to buy a 65k new truck. We all have priorities.

Yes. We all have priorities. As warped as some of them may be. By your description, sounds like you could really use that ticket money for some needed upgrades in the real world.

willia451

Reaction score
I have gone every year on Thanksgiving except for last season due to limited seating. I am no person of great money or privilege just a Cowboys football fans who loves going to a game when I have the chance. For me that has always been thanksgiving because of the extra days off from work. Sounds a bit arrogant on your part to pass judgement on people you don't know

Yes. In today's politically correct world, passing judgement is an absolute "No No".

But that's what humans' have always done until very recently. Pass judgement.

If I make an argument and can back that argument up with fact, evidence, and knowledge, why shouldn't I pass judgement? Why shouldn't you? If you are in that situation?

But don't take my word for it. Critical thinkers and debaters will tell you. Passing judgement is an absolutely essential part of who we are as humans. And it's how we move forward in the competition of ideas.

So don't be afraid to pass judgement.

It's only human.

plymkr

Reaction score
The fans in the stadium are the least of my concerns about Sunday.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Won't be going to another live professional sporting event so I couldn't care less who goes. I am just enjoying the chant and fight videos though. They have been great this year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I need to find the article I read a few years ago about protocols teams like the Eagles and Patriots put in place to prevent this type of thing from happening at their home stadium. Or at least mitigate it. There are things the Cowboys can do, they just don't care.

If I paid for the seat license the tickets are mine to do as I please. It's not the Cowboys business to limit my resale options.

Given the original prices it's no surprise fans go to some games and sell others to recoup some of the cost.

plasticman

Reaction score
Not buying it.

Jerry knows full well that a great number of tickets go out to corporate entities and the "owners' are not headquartered in Cowboys country. Therefore, there is always the possibility for the tickets to go to fans of other teams.

Not only that, but the stadium was specifically designed to attract people from all over the country and world. it is a tourist attraction with no thought whatsoever of contributing to a homefield advantage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
most hated? hbahahahahhahahahahahahhah
Go to the game, or any place Jerry is at. Hes a freaking rock star. Let him walk anywhere near the venue and Chants of "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry," erupt all over the place. Both at home and away games.
You really need to pick up a local paper or flick on a broadcast . You shouldn’t judge his popularity by a few thousand fans at a game or venue against the millions of residents.

The fact you even deny or reject what’s been widely known and broadcast locally shows your detachment or resentment to the local vibe.

All kinds of celebrities are cheered for at their own gatherings but are still hated by the masses.

Shane612

Reaction score
Don't confuse the business-man-Jerrah with the Cowboys-GM-Jerrah.
It's business before pleasure.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
and then those same fans would see they could buy a ticket for 90 bucks and sel it for 300 bucks and they would sell the ticket in a heartbeat.

Hilarious to me the people blasting Jerry every time he makes a buck... but how does the secondary market even exist? By the FANS looking to make a buck, in addition to the THOUSANDS of tickets that are bought by businesses and resold for profit.

Youre not wrong, and we as Cowboys fans should take responsibility there. Especially during a good season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
bahahahah.... damn your disgust of Jerry causes you to just make stuff up. You think the "Local," fan base is responsible for opposing fans coming to games? Cmon.
EVERY time I travel to games, no matter if at AT&T or somewhere else, you see TONS of fans flying in from all over the country. Flights are CHEAP my friend, and if you only go to one game a year and plan it early, you can fly round trip to Anywhere IN THIS COUNTRY FOR UNDER 400 BUCKS. I would guess the majority of seats sold on the secondary market arent even from individual fans, but BUSINESSES that arent even located in Texas that buy concert, baseball, basketball, hockey and NFL season tickets all over the country and then sell them on the secondary markets for profit.

You give the 'Locals," way to much credit for opposing Jerry, which is what YOU would love to see. It aint so my friend.
Obviously you didn’t read my entire post cause I said the reason so many opposing fans are at the game because of the influx of people moving to DFW area and Texas bringing their fandom with them and provides them an opportunity to see their team.

Most of those 20-30,000 opposing fans at our games aren’t flying in. They’re already here.

Last edited: