Jerry Jones says Cowboys will NOT draft QB with no. 4 pick *Super Hot Pants Mega Merge*

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The Cowboys are incredibly tight-lipped about the draft these days. This is just Jerry getting in the headlines and twitter mentions.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
GOOD, 2016 is the worst top of the Draft for a QB in 10 years. Ramsey the secret sauce to the g - hole, a true top 4 choice and the RKG.

Take your QB in the mid-late rounds and hit on a deep developmental class at the position.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a strategy standpoint, it makes sense if they want a quarterback to come out and say they do not plan to pick one. Otherwise, teams will trade up to the top three spots to draft a quarterback ahead of them.

That said, you can never trust what Jerry says. Even when he's telling the truth, he changes his mind so often that later it can become no longer true.

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
The Cowboys are incredibly tight-lipped about the draft these days. This is just Jerry getting in the headlines and twitter mentions.

If he was wanting to draft Manziel two years ago , he is definitely going to think about a QB in this draft.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Were drafting a QB!

office-boss-smoke_alarm-fire_hazard-light_a_fire_under_your_butt-fires-llan466_low.jpg

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
GBrandt "and your team has a window of opportunity that will remain open by filling more glaring needs with the top pick in the draft."

lol. A window of opportunity by filling more glaring needs. So a window of glaring needs. That's sounds about right.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Yup. We don't need to draft a backup for Romo. He'll play 4-5 years and never miss a game. And when he retires at 40 (or earlier because of injury), we'll be set with no one behind him. Worked for Aikman and Dallas.

Everyone is worried about Romo going down.

If he goes down again, I am completely fine with another top 5 pick in each round.

Denver showed that a decomposing QB can win a SB with a stellar defense.

I am going the defensive playmaker route.

I don't go out and buy a new car to have in my garage when my current car as another 3-4 years left. That car would just be sitting in the garage, taking up space and $$$.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Everyone is worried about Romo going down.

If he goes down again, I am completely fine with another top 5 pick in each round.

Denver showed that a decomposing QB can win a SB with a stellar defense.

I am going the defensive playmaker route.

I don't go out and buy a new car to have in my garage when my current car as another 3-4 years left. That car would just be sitting in the garage, taking up space and $$$.

But difference is we don't have a stellar defense. And this draft/free agency isn't gonna change that. As for the new car comment, Aikman's so called car broke down and he had to retire, and there was no new car to replace his. For years afterwards.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
But difference is we don't have a stellar defense. And this draft/free agency isn't gonna change that. As for the new car comment, Aikman's so called car broke down and he had to retire, and there was no new car to replace his. For years afterwards.

Our defense played pretty well last year aside from lack of turnovers.

I firmly think the team is 3 defensive players away from performing at a high level. I could be wrong. A QB doesn't need to be a first round pick to be successful or have a great career in the NFL however.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Our defense played pretty well last year aside from lack of turnovers.

I firmly think the team is 3 defensive players away from performing at a high level. I could be wrong. A QB doesn't need to be a first round pick to be successful or have a great career in the NFL however.

Ya, lack of turnovers and lack of sacks. But losing Hardy and not having Gregory for the 1st 4 games, we are only 3 defensive players away from performing at a high level. A high level just above mediocrity. Good luck at finding that successsul or great career qb for us when Romo goes down and we have no one behind him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be blowing smoke...

We won't know until the draft come around.

There's a good argument that can be made for and against drafting a QB at #4.

Good argument for - If the scouting department has a franchise grade on a QB, that needs to be the pick.

Good argument against - If the scouting department doesn't have a franchise grade on a QB, that isn't the pick. However if any of the three turn into one, everyone involved in that poor evaluation needs to be fired.

I said all along I expect him to waste another top 5 pick. You guys will celebrate it of course, but you celebrated Newman and Claiborne too. They amounted to jack. So will this one. And we're one hit away from no QB whatsoever. But hey, it's easy to find those. We'll do it on our schedule. With the worst GM and assistant in all of sports. No biggie.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think there is a good probability that all QBs drop. The Rams might be the first team to take one out of desperation. Face it, Goff, Wentz, Lynch, and Cook just aren't that good. Are any of these four sure bets to be better than Teddy Bridgewater? If any of these four QBs are your hopes for a successful season in 2018, let alone 2016 and 2017, then I think you are in for a rude awakening. These four QBs will most likely give you nothing in return for the next 3 years.