Jerry Jones says Cowboys will NOT draft QB with no. 4 pick *Super Hot Pants Mega Merge*

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I think there is a good probability that all QBs drop. The Rams might be the first team to take one out of desperation. Face it, Goff, Wentz, Lynch, and Cook just aren't that good. Are any of these four sure bets to be better than Teddy Bridgewater? If any of these four QBs are your hopes for a successful season in 2018, let alone 2016 and 2017, then I think you are in for a rude awakening. These four QBs will most likely give you nothing in return for the next 3 years.

Just as the defensive players at the top of the draft aren't that good we are interested in. Ramsey and Bosa.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Ya, lack of turnovers and lack of sacks. But losing Hardy and not having Gregory for the 1st 4 games, we are only 3 defensive players away from performing at a high level. A high level just above mediocrity. Good luck at finding that successsul or great career qb for us when Romo goes down and we have no one behind him.

FA / Draft hasn't started yet.

2-3 FA's and the draft could easily net us a DE/DT/LB/S/CB. Ramsey knocks out 2 of those needs. Draft is deep in defensive line.

Mario Williams and Ware are still around as DE.

We have money, we have a draft upcoming. Spend money for a backup QB at the expense of a defensive player... or have a capable backup and groom a youngster.

Difference in philosophy.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
FA / Draft hasn't started yet.

2-3 FA's and the draft could easily net us a DE/DT/LB/S/CB. Ramsey knocks out 2 of those needs. Draft is deep in defensive line.

Mario Williams and Ware are still around as DE.

We have money, we have a draft upcoming. Spend money for a backup QB at the expense of a defensive player... or have a capable backup and groom a youngster.

Difference in philosophy.

Ramsey, a non playmaker, knocks out 2 of those needs. Just as other teams have money and have a draft upcoming. You think other teams aren't gonna improve also? How much of a jump on d are we gonna make when other teams are doing the same thing and adding players?

CCBoy

Reaction score
During the off season...try bee keeping, at least with the bees one knows where the stings are coming from.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Your right, what was I thinking. His amazing 3 int's in 41 college games. That is beyond premium.

With that low of a threshhold for evaluating, it's a good thing that he can chew gum and walk down the street at the same time.

plymkr

Reaction score
This just in: Jerry Jones said "hi" to his mailman this morning. The mailman has no comment and his agent did not return phone calls. We'll stay with this story all night if we have to.

I'm not going to jump off any emotional bridges until after we draft whoever we draft. Right now teams are playing poker.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Gil Brandt: Jerry Jones told me he will not draft a QB at No. 4; five late-round options for Cowboys
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...raft-qb-4-five-late-round-options-cowboys?f=r

But here is his reason, beyond conversation:

...One writer seems to have the inside track of what Jones might do. NFL.com's Gil Brandt recently wrote that the Cowboys' owner told him that he "will unequivocally not take a quarterback at No. 4." Brandt served as the Cowboys' vice president for player personnel from 1960 to 1989 in Dallas.

"I believe him. It makes sense if you think Romo will make a full recovery from offseason surgery, will be your starter for at least three more years, and your team has a window of opportunity that will remain open by filling more glaring needs with the top pick in the draft," Brandt said.

"It's not only a smart move, but I believe it's the only move, as tempting as it might be if a player like Carson Wentz is still on the board when the Cowboys pick. If I were Jerry, I'd wait on my quarterback in the later rounds, develop him, and let him learn from Romo. It's a luxury Dallas can afford."...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here's the long and short of it all:

SportsDay's Jon Machota recently spent some significant time with Jones at the NFL combine. While in Indianapolis, Jones touched on what Dallas could do with the fourth pick.

"I think Romo is going to be our quarterback for four or five years and we'll make all decisions accordingly. ... This is one of those [decisions] that might not be made until we're down to the last 10 seconds on the clock."

CCBoy

Reaction score
:popcorn: My suggestion, get some buttered/salted popcorn and just watch until the Free Agent season officially opens...that will say a lot on player levels, need to develop, or immediate competitiveness.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The revenge of Tony Romo: 3 Reasons why 2016 is his year
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/03/01/revenge-tony-romo-3-reasons-2016-year/

...“What is the one unequivocal fact that you can count on, relative to the preparation of this draft and on draft day, is that I’m planning on Romo being the quarterback for the next four or five years,” Jones said. “That’s a fact. You won’t see a decision on draft day that will fly in the face of not believing, from our standpoint, that he’ll be our quarterback for four or five years.”

The all-pro quarterback finished only two full games last season.

To prolong his career, Romo will most likely have minor surgery that involves inserting a plate to strengthen the collarbone. The mothership DallasCowboys.com confirmed that a routine scan in early February showed Romo’s recovery is progressing.

Jones’ quote might be draft day bluff to avoid letting other teams in on their true blueprints. There’s no question the Cowboys need a quarterback, someone behind the aging Romo – who will be paid a handsome $8.5 million salary in 2016 – who can learn and play when called upon.

One thing is clear: Jones clearly believes in Romo’s epic talents. Whether Dallas decides to elect a QB through the draft or free agency or the trade wire, it’s hard to believe any of the selections out there are equipped to unseat Romo from his throne.

This is despite the recent injuries and surgeries.

If there was anything to learn from 2015, it’s that the blood flowing through the organs of the Dallas Cowboys runs through one person: Tony Romo...